JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just did my taxes and decided to spend my return in the most American way possible.... more guns!

I'd like to get a pistol in .22 and one in .45, and am looking through the classifieds. Then I realized buying multiple handguns in a short period of time might for some reason raise some red flags with the background check. I've never had trouble with BGC before... but have only purchased the occasional rifle in the past. Should I space out my purchases? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Nothing to worry about. The state agency doesn't really know what you're buying anyway. They only know, "One background check, please." You can put as many guns on one BGC as you want at one time, finances allowing, of course. I think my max to date has been a meager 2 guns on one BGC.

You are a free citizen and should be proud to be on the right lists. A BGC isn't like your credit score. Every time your credit score is checked for new credit, the credit score goes down. You don't have a BGC score that goes down with multiple BGC's over several days making the later ones have less chance of getting a Proceed. Just buy what you want when you want it. Unless you have something to worry about, a BGC every day for a week shouldn't make any difference.

No it shouldn't make a difference, but - one time i did buy 2 handguns from the same FFL in the same week, 2 separate occasions BGC's were conducted, and then the seller told me he had to file an extra from with ATF because of the multiple sales within a week or two week period. (he says that they were worried about "Straw" purchases) I never heard anything from the ATF, but know if you want to keep red flags to a minimum, purchase several on the same from, or wait at least 2 weeks.

There is nothing to worry about but it is true if you purchase more than one hand gun in 5 days a dealer is supposed to send in a form to the feds notifying them.

They just want to make sure your not supplying gangs or the drug cartel with guns. (Just like fast ATF and fast and furious)

I do it all the time when I purchase receivers I will usually do 3 to 4 at once to get better pricing and I did the same with my tax money and bought a couple hand guns on the same form.

As long as you are not affiliated to bad people and are not doing anything illegal you're good to go.

Nothing to worry about. The state agency doesn't really know what you're buying anyway. They only know, "One background check, please." You can put as many guns on one BGC as you want at one time, finances allowing, of course. I think my max to date has been a meager 2 guns on one BGC.
Yes - I had two handguns put on one BGC one day when I saw a Walther I wanted while doing a private transfer.

I don't think the state has any limits, but the ATF does require some extra paperwork sometimes if you buy something like 5 or ten firearms in a short period or maybe one day, and that may be only in certain southern border states. But it won't affect the purchase and the gun shop will only be too happy to take your money even if they have to fill out an extra form.

PP TRANSFER TAX WILL BE PER GUN IF NON FFL/Orders. Gotta love dealers beat Kate out of that $25.00 Or do gun show PP BGC TO LIGHTEN THERE PURSES

There is nothing to worry about but it is true if you purchase more than one hand gun in 5 days a dealer is supposed to send in a form to the feds notifying them.

They just want to make sure your not supplying gangs or the drug cartel with guns.

^ This. When I had a 03FFL compliance inspection, the inspector volunteered his thoughts on the practice. His words went something like "It is a good tool. If we get a report that a 67-year-old in rural Texas just bought two single-action Colts, we just assume it is a retiree playing cowboy and toss the report. If we get one that is a 21 year old in south-central Los Angeles that just bought 25 identical Glock 19s, we suspect it may be gang related and check it out ..."

And I'll add that I've bought enough handguns to trigger the mandatory report and have had zero problems with it over the years.

^ This. When I had a 03FFL compliance inspection, the inspector volunteered his thoughts on the practice. His words went something like "It is a good tool. If we get a report that a 67-year-old in rural Texas just bought two single-action Colts, we just assume it is a retiree playing cowboy and toss the report. If we get one that is a 21 year old in south-central Los Angeles that just bought 25 identical Glock 19s, we suspect it may be gang related and check it out ..."

And I'll add that I've bought enough handguns to trigger the mandatory report and have had zero problems with it over the years.

I've bought/sold multiple handguns in one transfer/day at least once that I remember, but they were almost all before the BGC laws, private transfers and usually at gun shows.

That I recall (my memory being notoriously bad) I only bought two in one day, on paper, last year, and that was on a whim - I don't think there is a pattern in buying a S&W 460V and a little Walther at the same time.

I might have bought multiples in years past, but I just don't recall - it is rare that I find more than one gun at the same time and place and don't have the discipline to not spend that kind of money.

I am sure if the ATF looked up my name in whatever computerized history they have, they would probably not see much of a pattern except a smattering of various different firearms of various different types - most of which are recent as most of my firearms bought before the BGC laws were private transfers and therefore not on their books.

Do it now California is trying to pass a law that Says one gun a month so what California does Oregon and Washington will be sure to follow or try to follow

Nothing to worry about. Here's what happens...

If you buy more than one handgun in 7 days I believe, from the same ffl, that ffl has to forward the 4473 to the batf. Same would happen if from the same ffl you buy two or more ar15's. In theory you could get a visit by agents. It won't happen. What they look for is obvious trafficking behavior like buying two or more of the same gun or two or more guns being a pattern. It's all on their website.

Osp doesn't care if you multi purchase.

I have been in the gun a month club for a while. I never got any trouble. I don't have anything to hide and as controversial as it may be without a warrant, I would let them in and look. I don't care. When I worked for an ffl I got in the habit of cataloging everything in my possession, mostly in case stuff gets stolen.

I
I believe it is just hand guns but they want it to be on all guns I heard them talking bout it on NRA radio show but I didn't get the to hear the whole story

Oh yeah, you are right about that. I have family members that have had to wait. No idea what that law is supposed to achieve.

I

Oh yeah, you are right about that. I have family members that have had to wait. No idea what that law is supposed to achieve.
Lol less guns =less crime right HAHA no what it is less guns sold =less gun stores and then no gun stores I don't know I can't think like a politician

Interesting post, I'm glad I found it...
I'm 50 years old & decided to purchase my first firearm for home protection last month (Sig SP-2022), I purchased it from Cabela's & obviously I had to do the background checks, it took ten business days to clear & I picked the pistol up & good to go.....

The next day I applied for my CPL & exactly 30 days later received it in the mail- good to go.....
I decided I wanted to pick up something small for my CPL & drove to a gun shop right down the street, I picked up the ruger LCP 2 & was with the hopes I would walk out with the pistol same day (because I now possess the CPL),
Appearantly there was a problem with the Federal side of the background check & I was denied, it seems awfully suspicious that I was denied the firearm for another 10 business days after just receiving my CPL & being cleared for the first purchase just 32 days earlier!
Could it be because I purchased 2 pistols in such a close time frame?
Who knows these days I get put on delayed with Evey gun I buy almost every time I waited a week and one time I only waited two days and I know lots of people will tell you if you have council carry permit you will walk out that day not true I know a king county sheriff that also has a CCP even though he doesn't need one and he got delayed so it could be anything I personally think it's because the BATF is so understaffed and so far behind they just delay a lot of people for that reason

I really think the biggest factor is how common your name is. I believe that if someone exists with your name that does have an issue, it raises a flag that causes a delay. Maybe it is a good reason to give your kids made up names.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top