JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd be afeared of hitting someone's cow or horse at those ranges in the UK.After all, it was an aircraft carrier in WWII.:)

It might come as a surprise, given that, by your lights, we all live within 100 feet of each other, but we have, and use, many military ranges here in UK - out to 3000 - 4000m, especially for the growing number of large-calibre shooters here in the UK .50cal shooting Association. We also have what are called range safety templates to give some degree of safety to the land behind the targets in the even of shooting over the top. Sure, we have no wide open spaces like you do - how could we in a country the size of California, but in spite of that, we do quite well.

Here's my local 1200 yard range at Barton road -

1615580827663.png

I suggest that you also take a look at the UK Precision Rifle Shooters League before making any more judgements....

This is on the Orion Ranges in Wales....

1615581593448.png
1615581624414.png
and this is on the Diggle Ranges a littler further north..
1615581794784.png
No cows or houses here, Sir.

It might come as a surprise, given that, by your lights, we all live within 100 feet of each other, but we have, and use, many military ranges here in UK - out to 3000 - 4000m, especially for the growing number of large-calibre shooters here in the UK .50cal shooting Association. We also have what are called range safety templates to give some degree of safety to the land behind the targets in the even of shooting over the top. Sure, we have no wide open spaces like you do - how could we in a country the size of California, but in spite of that, we do quite well.

Here's my local 1200 yard range at Barton road -

View attachment 841994

I use the range on Fort Lewis a lot. Only 300 meters with a 5000 meter impact area. Looks like you have a sweet setup!

By comparison, Hornady's 200gr ELD-X load leaves a 24 inch 300 Win Mag barrel at 2850 fps, and at 1000 yds carries 1456 fps and a drop of 299.7 inches. ... At this range, the 6.5PRC has the 300WM beat by 187 fps and shoots 41.7 inches flatter — with significantly less powder and recoil to boot.
And considerably less energy as well.

By comparison, Hornady's 200gr ELD-X load leaves a 24 inch 300 Win Mag barrel at 2850 fps, and at 1000 yds carries 1456 fps and a drop of 299.7 inches. ... At this range, the 6.5PRC has the 300WM beat by 187 fps and shoots 41.7 inches flatter — with significantly less powder and recoil to boot.

It's almost like it was designed to be more efficient or something.

I didn't realize the 6.5 PRC was able to shoot a 200 gr projectile that well. Impressive.

Why neuter it? Give it a proper 26 inch barrel and a 230gr berger hybrid at the same speed.

Why neuter it? Give it a proper 26 inch barrel and a 230gr berger hybrid at the same speed.
Hmmm. ;)

At this point I have so much reloading crapola for a couple .224, a few .264, and several .308 cartridges that I'd have to have some really compelling reason to pick up yet another before looking at what I've got and deciding there was a job I couldn't already get done. But then I'm also the guy who doesn't see what practical use the 6.5 CM has when we've had the 260 Rem since Paul Bunyan was a kid, and I still have one of each. I really like 243, and 6mm CM is likely fine as well, but as I said before, I need another bore dia like I need another bore in my ... well you know.

My nearly lifelong desire for a 340 Wby Mag might drive me to get a 338 Lapua, because reasons, and I have similar motives for wanting (sigh) a 22-250 and a 25-06. But none of that makes sense, and I'm not going to try and come up with convoluted 'reasons' for it to make sense.

Call me crazy.

Hmmm. ;)

At this point I have so much reloading crapola for a couple .224, a few .264, and several .308 cartridges that I'd have to have some really compelling reason to pick up yet another before looking at what I've got and deciding there was a job I couldn't already get done. But then I'm also the guy who doesn't see what practical use the 6.5 CM has when we've had the 260 Rem since Paul Bunyan was a kid, and I still have one of each. I really like 243, and 6mm CM is likely fine as well, but as I said before, I need another bore dia like I need another bore in my ... well you know.

My nearly lifelong desire for a 340 Wby Mag might drive me to get a 338 Lapua, because reasons, and I have similar motives for wanting (sigh) a 22-250 and a 25-06. But none of that makes sense, and I'm not going to try and come up with convoluted 'reasons' for it to make sense.

Call me crazy.
260 Remington was just a simple neck-down from .308
No thought put into headroom, case taper, shoulder angle or shoulder location or COAL.
All these things were thought about and addressed in the designing of 6.5CM
Within AR10 mag limits, the 6.5CM is better with long bullets.
6mmCM is liked because it bucks wind better than the .224's and it's still easy to see your hits.

Instead of 340WBY or 338 Lapua, I'd entertain 338-06 Ackley Improved.
If I had to have more horsepower, a 338PRC might be worthy.

Howsabout making my .308 Win into a 7.5x55 Swiss - with a longer chamber to take 200gr bullets - that would be easy, I think, and only involve cutting a new chamber.

I'll do some measurements in the morning when I'm more awake..........................

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top