JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 841380

I bought two of these when SARCO brought over the pile of 'em some years ago.
Model 38 short rifle I believe is what it's called.
Kept the nicer one.
I'm not sure what that thing on the end of the barrel is. Probably some sort of suppressor.
Guess I'd better send the Feds $200 before they knock on the door.

I guess we
Now I get it! My mom used to bathe my baby brother in a bayonet. Thanks!

I guess I'm looking at a different image than you are, although how that might be has whooshed straight past my addled old brain. Unless, of course, this is another inventive way of taking the p*ss that I've so far not encountered.

1615557457999.png

I guess my knowledge of English is not as good as I thought it was.

I guess we

I guess I'm looking at a different image than you are, although how that might be has whooshed straight past my addled old brain. Unless, of course, this is another inventive way of taking the p*ss that I've so far not encountered.

View attachment 841835

I guess my knowledge of English is not as good as I thought it was.

All in good humor, my friend. Delivered with my tongue firmly ensconced in my cheek (facial cheek in this instance).:cool:

An 8-twist 6mm CM may be on the menu soon.
If I was going "from scratch" I'd have a 243 and/or a 6mm something else, but my brother has a 6.5 Grendel, I sort of acquired a 6.5 CM and a 260, and we have dies etc for all of them ... I need another bore like I need, well, another bore, if you get my drift. If I go with yet another caliber I'll probably go 22-250 or 25-06, since we have parts to reload those in the family already.

If I was going "from scratch" I'd have a 243 and/or a 6mm something else, but my brother has a 6.5 Grendel, I sort of acquired a 6.5 CM and a 260, and we have dies etc for all of them ... I need another bore like I need, well, another bore, if you get my drift. If I go with yet another caliber I'll probably go 22-250 or 25-06, since we have parts to reload those in the family already.

A faster-twist 22-250 wouldnt suck. Lots of good bullets in that diameter. I am contemplating a 25-06 myself.

So I'm certainly not one of the cool kids, but realistically I can't honestly say anything I miss was the fault of the 260, and that if I'd used the 6.5 CM I would have made the shot. But then I'm not an operator operating operationally in my area of operation during the operation in question time the operation was operational.

Last Edited:
So I'm certainly not one of the cool kids, but realistically I can't honestly say anything I miss was the fault of the 260, and that if I'd used the 6.5 CM I would have made the shot. But then I'm not an operator operating operationally in my area of operation during the operation in question time the operation was operational.
Just keep it within 400 yards and you'll be fine with that antique cartridge.

:s0114:

By comparison, Hornady's 200gr ELD-X load leaves a 24 inch 300 Win Mag barrel at 2850 fps, and at 1000 yds carries 1456 fps and a drop of 299.7 inches. ... At this range, the 6.5PRC has the 300WM beat by 187 fps and shoots 41.7 inches flatter — with significantly less powder and recoil to boot.

By comparison, Hornady's 200gr ELD-X load leaves a 24 inch 300 Win Mag barrel at 2850 fps, and at 1000 yds carries 1456 fps and a drop of 299.7 inches. ... At this range, the 6.5PRC has the 300WM beat by 187 fps and shoots 41.7 inches flatter — with significantly less powder and recoil to boot.
For shots like that I guess I can stick to my other other antique, the 50.

Stop it.
You're going to make these old men cry.
:)

Never mind, they can't see far enough for it to matter anyway.

DD
Who loves 6mm Remingtion (has always been better than .243) but if I were to
do it today, it would be 6mm Creedmoor.
Better cartridge designs do happen.

Last Edited:
It's funny - to me, that is - that all the so-called 'long range precision' shooting I've ever done in my life was shooting at a 9" diameter disc at any range from around 350 out to 900 metres. I did it all with my Night Force 8-32x56 NSX set on x22 - the setting at which the MIL I'm seeing on the reticle is actually a MIL in real life, thus enabling me to judge calculate the distance with a confident degree of accuracy. Most times I hit it, and sometimes it was a near miss, but I did it all with NATO-issue 150gr 7.62x51 in my .308 Win rifle.

With a choice of literally hundreds of bullet shapes and weights, and dozens of different powders and even, dare I say it, a large shed-load of manufacturers, the .308Win has got every other calibre by the S & Cs.

Sure, there are some whiz-bang cartridges out there, and their poor barrels usually suffer the fate of most whiz-bang rounds - they quickly become smooth-bores with the accuracy of a BB gun. I actually SAW with my own eyes how a 6.5-.284 turned from a gnat's eyebrow shooter to a minute of target frame gun over a two day shoot. It was a sad reminder of the minute difference a thousandth of an inch might represent in real terms - between a 6.5 and a 6.6.......*

....and how many 6.6mm long-range shootin' irons do YOU know of?

*AAMOI, my .308Win rifle has now happily passed the 12,000 round count. Made in 1986, it was a sure-fire winner from Day 1. I've personally put 6000+ down it since 2002.

I do have a 6.5 CM. I don't see that using it will make or break a shot for me. If I was going to break with what I've already got, I'd likely look at the 300 PRC. Powder is cheap and recoil doesn't generally bother me.

It's funny - to me, that is - that all the so-called 'long range precision' shooting I've ever done in my life was shooting at a 9" diameter disc at any range from around 350 out to 900 metres. I did it all with my Night Force 8-32x56 NSX set on x22 - the setting at which the MIL I'm seeing on the reticle is actually a MIL in real life, thus enabling me to judge calculate the distance with a confident degree of accuracy. Most times I hit it, and sometimes it was a near miss, but I did it all with NATO-issue 150gr 7.62x51 in my .308 Win rifle.

With a choice of literally hundreds of bullet shapes and weights, and dozens of different powders and even, dare I say it, a large shed-load of manufacturers, the .308Win has got every other calibre by the S & Cs.

Sure, there are some whiz-bang cartridges out there, and their poor barrels usually suffer the fate of most whiz-bang rounds - they quickly become smooth-bores with the accuracy of a BB gun. I actually SAW with my own eyes how a 6.5-.284 turned from a gnat's eyebrow shooter to a minute of target frame gun over a two day shoot. It was a sad reminder of the minute difference a thousandth of an inch might represent in real terms - between a 6.5 and a 6.6.......*

*AAMOI, my .308Win rifle has now happily passed the 12,000 round count. Made in 1986, it was a sure-fire winner from Day 1. I've personally put 6000+ down it since 2002.

Your .308 barrel is still a consumable. The acceptable rate at which it wears is different for everyone. Many competition shooters rebarrel every year, and many recreational shooters (like you) expect it to last a lifetime. Neither is wrong, just different expectations of what they want to get out of it.

My brother in law shoots a .338 Snipetac. Good for about 800 shots. That's outside of what I'm willing to sacrifice for performance, but it's his money.

I'd be afeared of hitting someone's cow or horse at those ranges in the UK.
After all, it was an aircraft carrier in WWII.

:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top