JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Howsabout making my .308 Win into a 7.5x55 Swiss - with a longer chamber to take 200gr bullets - that would be easy, I think, and only involve cutting a new chamber.

I'll do some measurements in the morning when I'm more awake..........................
If the 7.5x55 needs a long action and the .308 is in a short action....

260 Remington was just a simple neck-down from .308
No thought put into headroom, case taper, shoulder angle or shoulder location or COAL.
All these things were thought about and addressed in the designing of 6.5CM
Within AR10 mag limits, the 6.5CM is better with long bullets.
Hmm. Well, 260 has the same COAL as a 308, (AR10) and seems to generate more velocity by a little bit compared to 6.5 CM. Not seeing the magic, but then I only have one of each. They both seem fine but if I'm buying a rifle or rebarreling I've not seen a great argument for CM over Rem.

I just looked at a 260 barrel for my RPR and it is available in 1:7, 1:7.5 and 1:8 twists. Seems OK. *shrug*

260 Remington was just a simple neck-down from .308
No thought put into headroom, case taper, shoulder angle or shoulder location or COAL.
All these things were thought about and addressed in the designing of 6.5CM
Within AR10 mag limits, the 6.5CM is better with long bullets.
6mmCM is liked because it bucks wind better than the .224's and it's still easy to see your hits.

Instead of 340WBY or 338 Lapua, I'd entertain 338-06 Ackley Improved.
If I had to have more horsepower, a 338PRC might be worthy.

The 6.5 CM wasn't an original case design. Necked down 30 TC. Rename it 7.62 Creedmoor and they might revive it.

Hmmm. ;)

At this point I have so much reloading crapola for a couple .224, a few .264, and several .308 cartridges that I'd have to have some really compelling reason to pick up yet another before looking at what I've got and deciding there was a job I couldn't already get done. But then I'm also the guy who doesn't see what practical use the 6.5 CM has when we've had the 260 Rem since Paul Bunyan was a kid, and I still have one of each. I really like 243, and 6mm CM is likely fine as well, but as I said before, I need another bore dia like I need another bore in my ... well you know.

My nearly lifelong desire for a 340 Wby Mag might drive me to get a 338 Lapua, because reasons, and I have similar motives for wanting (sigh) a 22-250 and a 25-06. But none of that makes sense, and I'm not going to try and come up with convoluted 'reasons' for it to make sense.

Call me crazy.
Here's some 338 motivation
7EFC81E0-40B0-4907-8F52-80F931EA9F1C.jpeg

Eight pages about 6.5 cartridges, and no mention of the 256 Newton!

Bruce

Eight pages about 6.5 cartridges, and no mention of the 256 Newton!
No kidding! Newton had some really cool stuff. I have one loaded round in 30 Newton. It's like a tapered case version of a 300 PRC. In fact, back when I had a 375 Ruger I thought that making a new version of the Newton based on the Ruger case would be a good idea. Obviously others acted on the same thought and the 300 PRC is the result.

Also no mention (or very little) of throat/leade dimensions. Obviously the twist has been increased in these new fangled cartridges to help stabilize the very long and heavy bullets now required to shoot something. Most people get that.
But the change to extremely tight tolerances of the bullet in the chamber is what's really setting the Creedmoor and PRC cartridges head and shoulders (yes, pun intended) above the rest of the field when it comes to accuracy.
I'd like to reap some of this technology with a custom reamer for 30-06 Improved 40* (RCBS's name for the Ackley Improved) using the throat and leade tolerances from the 300PRC. While I'm at it I think a 1:9 twist would be a good improvement, too.

No kidding! Newton had some really cool stuff. I have one loaded round in 30 Newton. It's like a tapered case version of a 300 PRC. In fact, back when I had a 375 Ruger I thought that making a new version of the Newton based on the Ruger case would be a good idea. Obviously others acted on the same thought and the 300 PRC is the result.

Also no mention (or very little) of throat/leade dimensions. Obviously the twist has been increased in these new fangled cartridges to help stabilize the very long and heavy bullets now required to shoot something. Most people get that.
But the change to extremely tight tolerances of the bullet in the chamber is what's really setting the Creedmoor and PRC cartridges head and shoulders (yes, pun intended) above the rest of the field when it comes to accuracy.
I'd like to reap some of this technology with a custom reamer for 30-06 Improved 40* (RCBS's name for the Ackley Improved) using the throat and leade tolerances from the 300PRC. While I'm at it I think a 1:9 twist would be a good improvement, too.

To me, unless you can back it up, it's like buying a G. Loomis rod when you could have got by with an ugly stik. Few people will become good enough to reap any "benefits."

The 300 PRC and 6.5 creedmoor don't do anything better accuracy wise that a well set up 300WM or 260 and 6.5x55 except the 6.5 fits in AR10 mags better.

Last Edited:
The 300 PRC and 6.5 creedmoor don't do anything better accuracy wise that a well set up 300WM or 260 and 6.5x55 except the 6.5 fits in AR10 mags better.
But oh yes they do.
They are cartridges designed to be loaded with the new generation of "long heavies".
The cartridges you list are the old guard, they will always be around but there is a new sheriff in town.
This will explain it some...

But oh yes they do.
They are cartridges designed to be loaded with the new generation of "long heavies".
The cartridges you list are the old guard, they will always be around but there is a new sheriff in town.
This will explain it some...
yawn

Creedmoor was flavor of the week....in 2007.
It's not going away.
300 PRC has a lot of market horsepower behind it already and the .mil has it in the stable.

We're actually on the cusp of new cartridge development, extreme long range shooting and custom rifle building.
We'll look back at this era as the start of another Golden Age in the shooting sports in my opinion.
Here's an example of what it looks like for one hunter...

Time will tell the tale.

:)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads