JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Except 6.5CM and .308 aren't exactly in the same league, cartridge wise. .243, .270 and .25-06? Yes, quite comparable but not to .308.

I have a 243 in an ar10 platform, and a 25-06 deer rifle. The reason I did the 6.5 prc is because of the high bc bullets and much heavier bullets than the 243. The ballistics of a 308 compare to the 6.5 are not even close and the recoil on the 6.5 is much more manageable than the 270 and 25-06. We shoot the prc and my buddy's 6.5x284 out to a mile quite often. My 308 would be considered indirect fire at that distance lol.

IMHO the only thing the creedmoor did was take a 6.5mm round and make it fit into a AR-308/AR-10 action and magazine.

It did nothing else special.

The 6.5CM was originally concieved as an across the course highpower chambering that needed to fit into an AR-10 magazine. It caught on quick though and its popularity appears to be growing.

When the goal is to put a full power 6.5 into an AR action the 6.5CM starts to look pretty special. Not to mention the Remington SA.

Add on popularity, which translates into availability (at least in "normal" times), it makes even more sense. For decades the 30-06 was the big "IT", not because it was the best (it isn't and never was) but because of its popularity it was king of the hill forever, plenty still believe it is.

If you're into older WWII weapons then the "Swede" becomes a fact of life but you're the goal is to outfit yourself with a modern gas gun and precision weapon (bolt or gas) it's not going to be in 6.5x55, it's 6.5CM and I believe the CM will be around long after the Swede is considered a relic by the shooting community.

That is not to take away anything from the 6.5x55, it is a fine cartridge, was from it's inception and it has withstood the ravages of time better than most it's age, it just is what it is.

As always, "best" is a relative term.

A couple good write ups early on the 6.5...

6.5mm Shootout: .260 Remington vs. 6.5x47 Lapua vs. 6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 Creedmoor - .260 Done Right?

Last Edited:
I love the 6.5 creed, it turned every day deer hunters into 1000yd snipers overnight. All joking aside it is a great cartridge design but I choose to go straight from 6 to 7mm. April 1st is fast approaching so hopefully we get to enjoy some more creedmoor jokes soon.

The old-school approach to cartridge design—large case and going fast—resulted in very heavy charges of slow propellants. In general, with this approach the propellant is not completely burned by the time the projectile exits the barrel. The result is faster barrel wear, severe muzzle blast, and heavy recoil. I have several 6.5x55 swed but I love the recoil and accuracy of my 6.5prc. The newer faster twist barrels make it an easy choice for me.
6.5PRC, 6.5CM, 300PRC and others are "optimized for the long, heavies" and that is what many in this thread do not comprehend.
"Optimized for long heavies"
Look it up.

When the goal is to put a full power 6.5 into an AR action the 6.5CM starts to look pretty special. Not to mention the Remington SA.

Add on popularity, which translates into availability (at least in "normal" times), it makes even more sense. For decades the 30-06 was the big "IT", not because it was the best (it isn't and never was) but because of its popularity it was king of the hill forever, plenty still believe it is.

If you're into older WWII weapons then the "Swede" becomes a fact of life but you're the goal is to outfit yourself with a modern gas gun and precision weapon (bolt or gas) it's not going to be in 6.5x55, it's 6.5CM and I believe the CM will be around long after the Swede is considered a relic by the shooting community.

That is not to take away anything from the 6.5x55, it is a fine cartridge, was from it's inception and it has withstood the ravages of time better than most it's age, it just is what it is.

As always, "best" is a relative term.

A couple good write ups early on the 6.5...

6.5mm Shootout: .260 Remington vs. 6.5x47 Lapua vs. 6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 Creedmoor - .260 Done Right?

"Modern Gas Gun" is basically "just the tip". Use a bolt or single shot and go ballz deep!

I love the 6.5 creed, it turned every day deer hunters into 1000yd snipers overnight. All joking aside it is a great cartridge design but I choose to go straight from 6 to 7mm. April 1st is fast approaching so hopefully we get to enjoy some more creedmoor jokes soon.

We, of the non-tender shoulder, have been doing it for a while! The 6.5 CM allowed the sensitive types play with the rest.

I think it's funny how people blast those that mention recoil as one determining factor. I'm currently teaching my nephew what the army taught me. We will fire 100 rounds in an outing from his 6.5cm. At 12 years old He's making his own wind calls, developing a range book with humidities and pressures and can do it without any fatigue. He would not be able to tolerate that at 80lbs with a 270, plain and simple.

I think it's funny how people blast those that mention recoil as one determining factor. I'm currently teaching my nephew what the army taught me. We will fire 100 rounds in an outing from his 6.5cm. At 12 years old He's making his own wind calls, developing a range book with humidities and pressures and can do it without any fatigue. He would not be able to tolerate that at 80lbs with a 270, plain and simple.

CC38DFDA-28E5-40AE-A310-D5E57A336B0A.jpeg

But in all seriousness, a fast twist 223 in a bolt action with some magazine space, shooting 68+ grain bullets is a hoot at distance and has no recoil. It's my favorite rifle, but would prefer it to be 6mm so I could hunt with it.

Twist is important, I could care less about shoulders.

I was referring to the ability that the shoulder gives the cartridge. The 6.5 Creedmoor has a sharper shoulder angle and a slightly less tapered case than comparable cartridges. Those traits allow the Creedmoor to use very long, high BC bullets without sacrificing case capacity.

View attachment 841725

But in all seriousness, a fast twist 223 in a bolt action with some magazine space, shooting 68+ grain bullets is a hoot at distance and has no recoil. It's my favorite rifle, but would prefer it to be 6mm so I could hunt with it.

I couldn't agree more. I start new long range shooters on the 223 in a long barrel ar platform so that they can learn the wind and see how the ballistics are affected by the barrel heating up. I love to pay with a 1/7 and 77gr bullets on a windy day :)

I was referring to the ability that the shoulder gives the cartridge. The 6.5 Creedmoor has a sharper shoulder angle and a slightly less tapered case than comparable cartridges. Those traits allow the Creedmoor to use very long, high BC bullets without sacrificing case capacity.

Yes, I know.....But I just use a longer mag box and I don't need to care about shoulders. Just look at this sexiness....

D482ACEF-8B37-4D70-A4D7-AB941E9293AA.jpeg

View attachment 841725

I'm considering setting up a 6mm creedmoor for the sole fact that sportsman's has about 800 rounds that no one is buying. At 2 boxes a day I could have all the ammo/ brass I would need for years :)

I have also read, as part of the design concept, the sharper shoulder aids in cylindricity and alignment of the componets to the bore which allegedly gives more consistant performance.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top