JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I saw Platoon in the theater when I was in 3rd grade. It has remained one of my favorites.

I liked Jarhead too.

Greyhound is my new top fav, hyper realistic and very accurate/authentic, as one would expect from Tom Hanks!
^^It's in my queue I plan to watch it soon.

Band of Brothers/The Pacific both outstanding.

No Letters from Iwo Jima/Flags of our Fathers?

There are so many Clint Eastwood memes, I would've thought he got more love...
I adore CLINT EASTWOOD and I have owned almost all of his movies too.

My late husband and I used to tape movies and watch them back east.

My MT husband and I owned many, many movies of Clint's over the years. Westerns, mysteries, war movies, spy movies, misc. movies of his from a to z.

We still have a couple here at home that we did not donate to the library.

We did NOT buy every single movie of his but MANY of them.

I liked and still own RAWHIDE, the entire series, and I had a CRUSH on Mr. Eastwood since I was a KID.

I LOVE, love and love THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES. We have one that we watch and one spare disc that was marked down from Walmart for $5.00 or LESS. I consider that a war movie in it's own way too.

I still kept the ORGINAL DIRTY HARRY movie.

One of many of the westerns, war and other CE's movies that I donated was called WHERE EAGLES DARE among many other war movies. I love that movie! IT was on a marked down disc with other movies in a SET of war movies.

There are so many CE movies including the EIGER SANCTION and some cold war movies that he was VERY GOOD in too.

SIDE NOTE:

I loved the LEE MARVIN movie called THE DIRTY DOZEN too.

I loved LEE MARVIN as an actor and as a man.

I used to watch him on M SQUAD too.

Old Lady Cate

Greyhound is my new top fav, hyper realistic and very accurate/authentic, as one would expect from Tom Hanks! Loosely based on the book "Good Shepard's" its a sort of mash up of several fictional ( but based on historical facts) events that took place during the darkest days of WW-II! Dad being a retired Naval officer intimately familiar with Destroyers, Captain's, and WW-II Naval history has very little bad to say about this film, his only real gripes being that 1) no German U-Boat ever taunted the Atlantic convoys on the radios, 2) no captain would ever allow so many officers and/crew on the bridge, Ever, and 3) there was never any British command authority over any U.S. Naval assets, the Navy ran the show how they saw fit, and that was that!

An outstanding film none the less, will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time!
I never saw this GREYHOUND movie and I have not seen it on disc marked down to buy.

My husband has another view about TOM HANKS now.

Most of the time, we ignored some things about actors and/or their films so I do not know what is what when it comes to MANY of them now or in the past.

So I have no clue about Hanks now.

With that said, we did enjoy many of Hanks's movies and series but ALL of them including the war movies and war series and a few misc. others were donated to our library.

Old Lady Cate

Cold War era movie.

K-19 - THE WIDOWMAKER

This is based on a true story even though it may not be that accurate for a Holly-weird movie.

There are historical links where you can read about this event.

I did enjoy it since I like Harrison and Liam very much as actors.

I have not seen it in several years. Many of the younger people on this forum may not know about this movie so I wanted to share it with them.

Cate

The Sand Pebbles.
Can't believe I left that one off my list. Good call! McQueen at his coolest, and most involved in the production were all vets -- this movie was one of the first Hollywood productions that really, really paid attention to the weapons and weapons handling. McQueen definitely demonstrated he knew how to run a rifle, too.

The pandemic saw a bunch of otherwise worthy flicks go straight to streaming due to the pandemic.

I have to add:
12 Strong (the story the horse soldiers). Pretty good depiction of an SF A team in Afghanistan early in the war.

A huge favorite of mine -- best realistic depiction of miitary personnel interacting on base and then in a battle. Other than We Were Soldiers, this movie really displayed what valor is all about:
The Outpost if you want to see one of the most realistic military flicks ever produced. It's the story of a colossal U.S. Army screw-up (putting a COP in a freakin' valley) in The 'Stan and the Battle of Kamdesh for which SSG Romesha was later awarded the Medal of Honor.

For some of the best lines EVER in a war movie, I still think Sam Elliott as SGM Basil Plumley in We Were Soldiers earns top honors:

"If any of you sons a bubblegumes call me grandpa, I'm gonna kill you"

- Soldier: "Beautiful morning, Sergeant Major"
- Elliott: "How do you know what kind of goddamn day it is?"

• (Lt. Colonel Hal Moore) "Gotta train 'em up. Makes me think I'm starting a new unit."
  • (Sam Elliott) "They sent new rifles too"
  • (Lt. Colonel Hal Moore) "The M-16. That's supposed to be a pretty good weapon."
  • (Sam Elliott) "Lots of plastic. Feels like a BB gun to me. Believe I'll stick with my pistol."
  • (Lt. Colonel Hal Moore) "You think we're gonna get close enough to the enemy to use that?"
  • (Sam Elliott) "What do you think, sir?"

• (Lt. Colonel Hal Moore) "I wonder what was going through Custer's mind when he realized that he'd led his men into a slaughter?"
  • (Sam Elliott) "Sir, Custer was a pussy. You ain't."

• (Ryan Hurst) "Beautiful morning, Sergeant."
  • (Sam Elliott) "What are you a bubbleguming weatherman now?"
(holds up his 1911)
  • (Sam Elliott) "Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves."

A Bridge To Far...epic battle scenes. The Cross of Iron, the brutality of the eastern front in WW2, and James Coburn at his best. A last but not least a made for tv movie All Quite on The Western Front.The total lack of any kind of sanity in WW1, plus Ernie Borgnine and John Boy, awesome. SEMPER Fi
[h3][/h3]
262845_252285888124567_252280098125146_1019425_3090062_n.jpg

I saw Platoon in the theater when I was in 3rd grade.
Damn, I feel old now. I'd been on active duty for over 5 years when that movie was released.

It wasn't too long after my peripheral involvement of Ronnie's invasion of Grenada when the wife and I went to see Platoon around December of '86... she walked out of the theater during the scenes where the platoon starts taking retribution on the villagers, then burns the village after three of the soldiers were killed in the jungle...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top