JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I give it a top mark for the best intro song and first five minutes of any flick... Burning Bridges and the capture German general, going through the checkpoint...

I saw an advance showing of Saving Private Ryan with only vets (and their families), mostly WW II vets... the Normany beach sequence was the most emotion I've ever seen in a movie theater. Several of the guys were being consoled by their wives/children, audible weeping, lots of handkerchiefs and kleenex. Incredibly intense. I had to go see the movie again soon afterward, because I'd mostly been watching the audience during the first twenty minutes.
Yes the beginning with the D-Day landing was taking place it very horrifying to me when I saw Saving Private Ryan in the movie theater.

I do not have a top favorite #1 war movie or even a LIST of my top 5 to 10 favorite war movies any longer.

There are too MANY of them on my list and they tend to be OLDER movies and/or movies with older actors in many of them.

Many movies that are mentioned here and in the OTHER posted linked war movie thread are on my list.

Plus there are others that have not been mentioned on this forum.

So as of this year especially in the SPRING of 2022 - I do not have a top favorite WAR movie or even a top favorite WESTERN movie.

ALL or almost all of my favorites were always considered CLASSICS but there are some more modern made movies or series (Boob tube.) that I liked and still LIKE very much.

Most of our movies and tv shows - series were donated to our library but we still have several here at home.

We watched the DISCS many times over the years and passed them on. They were bought on sale or super discounted here in local stores.

Old Lady Cate

I have a question for people who have cable or a dish for television reception. Where you have to PAY for these things and not the free - over the air channels that I get and use with indoor rabbit ears.

Do they have an actual station or channel for OLD TIME war movies and OLD TIME western movies? Plus MYSTERY CHANNELS?

Did they get rid of those channels or did they go ALL WOKE and hardly PLAY any of the OLD or somewhat modern WAR and/or western movies?

I looked up some channels online and almost ALL of them for PAID services - I never heard of or barely knew what they were about.

I did not do a heavy duty research for all of those channels.

It is a shame that they do not do an ala carte deal because 95% of what I saw for sale were things that would NOT interest my husband or me. So we would be paying for stuff that was NEVER ever watched.

FREE - OTA channels that we have and sometimes watch are Grit TV = a western station, ME tv = a MIX of some shows, some things on Charge TV on weekends have old movies from a to z. They took off some station called Movies or some such name here in this town.

PBS gets watched here for specific shows. I do LIKE almost all of the British mystery type shows. Plus the nature shows and a few others on PBS.

Curious Cate

CHARGE tv showed some war movies on Saturday. Most likely they will repeat them or show other OLD or newer ones again.

This may interest some of you who have OTA stations only.

I liked THE GUNS OF NAVARONE very much over the years. I used to watch it a couple of times per year with all of my OTHER war movies off of the boob tube, off of ancient video tapes (Back east.) or discs at home out here.

They did not show The Guns of Navarone on CHARGE TV but they did show FORCE 10 FROM NAVARONE on Saturday. This is an okay movie and, if it is on, I usually will watch it once a year. IT is not as good as the OLD original movie in my opinion.

So if you have CHARGE TV station - you may like to see this. Heads up.

The WHERE EAGLES DARE movie has been on CHARGE TV several times recently too.

I do like MacLean's books and movies based on his books even if some people think that they are not that great. I enjoy them.

I liked Ian Fleming's books and read all of them, the entire collection in paperback books, in the 60's too.

My husband has his BOND movies too.

Cate

84 Charlie Mopic.
No hollywood effects, no soundtrack, Its a low budget "mock documentary" using "found footage" filming that literally puts you right there in the eyes of one soldier in the battle, the camera man ("charlie mopic").

free:

Thanks for the link.

I never heard of this.

Cate

MacArthur

Another one to be added to the list here.

Cate

Battle of the Bulge

The ORIGINAL movie with this exact title should be added in.

BOYS - too many boys, etc.

The remarks made and the PANZAR song in the original movie.

The words in the other verses talk about them burning and dying in their tanks.

I do not speak German. I do not read the German language.

I have read a bit about the PANZAR song in this movie and I was told this by people who did speak, write and read German including my late husband. He spoke, read and wrote French, Latin and English too.

~~~

Side note and NOT up for any 'best movie' is the one BELOW.

Battle of the Bulge - Winter War with Tom B.

This one with Tom B. is not very good in my opinion.

I do LIKE TOM BERENGER very much and over the years but this movie was a let down compared to the ORIGINAL Battle of the Bulge titled movie. IT was a big let down.

I can't remember if it was in this TOM B. movie or not but there was a USN scene in one WW2 movie that made me laugh. They showed a bunch of American sailors and one of them was in the engine and boiler room area and another scene was 'above' on deck and with the Captain of the ship with his other officers. They had the sailors who were WORKING and fighting the war BELOW and on DECK wearing their DRESS BLUES - winter dress blues working/fighting the war and not in their regular work uniforms.

I don't know how the heck some director, costume designer and film crew figured that out at all! LOL

Plus in the one war movie they had some flunkies, BRAND NEW to ANY military service and BRANCH of the military, trying to tell a officer such and such and the officer acts and looks like one DENSE bunny!

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
There are a bunch I like, but "A bridge too far" ranks up there, a ton of greats show up in the film, along with character actors from both sides of the atlantic.

No mention of John Wayne in, The Green Berets? No, Boys of Company C, Go tell the Spartans, or Blackhawk Down?

What's WRONG with you people?!

;):D

Actually, although I'll watch sci-fi "battle" shows, I no longer tend to watch "war movies" because looking back with the benefit of living long enough to have acquired some wisdom… I find myself building into a rage (or choked up… or both) because of all the waste and human misery caused by the ambitions and greed of sorry-azzed murderous old men (and women) who have no qualms using honorable soldiers to get what they want.

I often find myself asking, "the MoFo's we were sent to fight are still there and now worse then ever, WTF was it really all for?"

:s0117:

Last Edited:
Tropic Thunder
C9EN2u3XgAE9IPe.jpg

The book was better.

"The Devils Brigade" Filmed in Utah. Part of it at the South end of the Salt Lake Valley at the old military Camp Williams. And in a place where dad and I used to ride our Honda 90s across the valley at Corner Canyon. There were a couple of burned military vehicles up in the canyon for a few years.

I'm drawn to war movies with authentic footage too.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top