JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

CC cal. for blk bear

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is my handgun choice for packing in Oregon black bear country. 4 5/8" SBH, 310gr hard cast & a healthy load of H110. In brown bear or grizz country? I would not waste the weight on a hand gun.
ssSBH.jpg

I have been following this thread with intrest and finally decided to add a little input... I lived and worked in high remote Alaska for three plus years in the Aleutian Islands, Kaktovik, Barter Island and Barrow... I my opinion and my experience, and tips and info from the "old timers" and fish and wildlife officers there is not a hand gun or shotgun suitable for bear unless you can stick it in his mouth before pulling the trigger and by then you are in serious hurt... I carried the recommened 45/70 Winchester which a lot of the remote residents and natives kept handy, and a few carried the 45/90... I also saw a couple of 45/120's... these rifles are capible of breaking a hip or shoulder and penetrating thier skull which at low angle a 7mm mag sometimes will not... A bears heart / lungs are up higher and semi protected by his shoulder blades...

Just say'n, be careful...

Black Bear Anatomy & Shot Placement: <broken link removed>

Black Bear Anatomy & Shot Placement #2: http://www.inberg.ca/hunting_essentials/black_bear_anatomy_&_shot_placement2.htm

Excellent advice! I would add the Marlin 450 to that list of rifles to carry in big bear country.

The Black Bears in Oregon can be dispatched easily, with many of the calibers suggested if you can manage a shot at the side of the head where the skull is very thin. Bears may move their heads back and forth and give you that shot.

But in an all out charge you have a big problem and most handgun rounds will splatter on the skulls face, since the skull is very thick at that point. Even the eye sockets, I am told.

Hard cast bullets designed for deep penetration will work in 357 mag, and 44 mag, 45 LC and others. Buffalo Bore was suggested before and there are other mfg that specialize in this type of ammo. Garrett is another.

But hollowpoints will not work, in most cases. If you carry a 45 acp you want "Hardball" only, for penetration. Same with 40 cal, 357 sig, etc.

Happy bear hunting. I like that 12 gauge shotgun slug suggestion, for the upland bird hunters that might stumble upon a bear.

This is my handgun choice for packing in Oregon black bear country. 4 5/8" SBH, 310gr hard cast & a healthy load of H110. In brown bear or grizz country? I would not waste the weight on a hand gun.
ssSBH.jpg

Are those 310 gr bullets from Pat and Vicky at Liberty ?
Sure look like some of the ones i picked up from them years ago.
RK

updated 3:48 a.m. PT, Mon., May 31, 2010
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A backpacker shot and killed a grizzly bear with his handgun in Alaska's Denali National Park, officials said.

A man and woman reported that they were hiking Friday evening when the bear emerged from trailside brush and charged the woman, park spokeswoman Kris Fister said in a statement.

The man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.
The two reported the shooting to rangers, who restricted access to the Igloo Canyon area for fear that the bear was wounded and dangerous.

On Saturday, rangers found the dead bear about 100 feet from the shooting site.

Park officials are determining the justification for the shooting. It's legal to carry firearms in that area of the park but illegal to discharge them.

Rangers said it was the first known instance of a grizzly bear being shot by a visitor in the wilderness portion of Denali, formerly called Mount McKinley National Park.

Yes! they are.I was told they are not in business anymore? sadly I loaded my last hundred or so this hunting season.

Last i heard they had moved up North to Washington, were still involved in CAS but no longer were selling cast bullets.
Which is really too bad,they had a very good product for a reasonable price,i used to get mine from Don at the Powder Horn since he was usually well stocked with Liberty Bullets.
Think i am down to my last few hundred of the .44 205gr,and maybe a couple hundred of the 310 gr 44's,but will check and see if i have any to spare since i don't use them much any more.
RK

I just want to know why the OP used quotations on "delivery"?:s0114: Is it just black bears he's worried about or black and white bears? They've been known to "charge" people who make "deliveries":p

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top