JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

CC cal. for blk bear

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nothing less than 500 S&W.. That being for the black bears.. :D :D

Did I already post on this thread?? Probably.. But whatever, why not again.

Ok, to be honest, I carry a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag loaded with 340gr +P+ Buffalo Bore.. To me this is more than enough gun for the blacks, but I also have traveled to grizzly country and use it for protection there as well. IN reality, handguns are not great for grizzlies, but it's better than nothing.

For the money a concealed 44 mag or maybe a 10mm are the way to go! They are out there just not fun to shoot! High energy bullets give you a better chance.. As for 9mm - 45acp... They are great manstoppers.. Ok 40 and 45 are great man stoppers... But they werent intended for our furry friends.. Use the ones that were intended for game... Just my 2 cents.

Didn't read through all the posts so this might have been covered. For black bear, a .45 Colt with sufficient hand load (in a modern revolver) is superior to the .44 Mag. A .45 Colt can be hand loaded to be more potent, has a larger diameter wound channel, yet less recoil than the .44 mag. The only reason to own a .44 mag is if you do not hand load - in that case, the .44 mag would be my choice. .357 revolver would be my 3rd choice for black bear.

I got a bear saturday with 1911. Dropped it with one shot in the neck, finished it with a couple in the heart. Now, mind you, it was only a 150 lb or so bear but it was from, according to our pacing, 23 yards away. Thats not too shabby. Load up some hot .45 and go with a semi auto that your comfortable with. It dont matter how big the bullet is if you arent any good with it. That being said, I probably would have waited for it to walk away or get a little bit closer before I shot if it was much bigger but it certainly would have stopped the bastard and made it think twice about eating me.

What are we missing? The OP specified concealed carry, and hinted at some kind of work situation. A huge cannon isn't what I'm thinking.

10mm Glock?

I CC my Blackhawk quite a bit, especially now that it's colder a jacket is needed. Mernickle makes a fine holster specifically designed for SA CCW. I have dual cylinders, so it's 45 acp in town, 45 Colt otherwise. I'm really like the results I get with a 310gr LBT over 20gr of Lil' Gun. Darn near 1200 fps, which would probably shoot through a blackie length-wise.

Ok here is the deal. I work in the "delivery" business. And recently came basically face to face with a good size black bear. Head about 20" and had a azz about 36". So got me thinking of what caliber would be best for a black bear. MY OPTIONS ARE .45/.40/357/ other. Now i dont plan on huinting them or able to carry any kind of cannon. We;re talkin CC 6-10 rnds.
So any thoughts?

Distance of conforntion?? 25 yds or less?
First, Black bears prefer to avoid people.
Second, anything less then a .44 mag will only piss the bear off. Not scare it off.
Friend in Alaska carries a Rem 870, pistol grip, no stock. Barrel is legal min slug barrel. Loaded with slugs of course. Carry is custom shoulder holster.
When it comes to bears its your money or your life. Your choice.
Avoidance also works.

Distance of conforntion?? 25 yds or less?
First, Black bears prefer to avoid people.
Second, anything less then a .44 mag will only piss the bear off. Not scare it off.
Friend in Alaska carries a Rem 870, pistol grip, no stock. Barrel is legal min slug barrel. Loaded with slugs of course. Carry is custom shoulder holster.
When it comes to bears its your money or your life. Your choice.
Avoidance also works.

Someone smarter than I am can weigh in here. I have a concealed handgun license. I don't believe I can conceal that shotgun legally.

Right? Wrong?

??

If I had to conceal something that I wanted to work on the 4 legged predators around here as well as the two legged ones my vote would be a G29. Aftermarket barrel to handle lead and 220g hardcast round shoulder flat point hand loads or Buffalo Bore makes a good option. Concealable and packs a mighty punch

Serbu-Super_Shorty_870.jpg

This is a Alaska bear pistol.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top