JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

CC cal. for blk bear

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can already hear the comments coming back at this, but here it goes. Coming from a state that has a huge black bear population and me personally spending 4 months out of every year as a guide for 5 years of my life in a area along the canadian border that was 3 million acres in size with no houses, roads, towns, or anything but woods and lakes (The Boundary Water Canoe Area and Quetico Provincial Park), here it comes....you don't need a gun for black bears. Ok, I wait for you to stop laughing. you done yet.

I have about 360 hours of classroom and in the field training and about 14,000 hours canoeing, hiking, portaging, camping, fishing, and hunting while guiding 2 - 8 clients at a time from anywhere of 3 - 14 days at a time only carrying and packing in what we need along with our canoes and paddles.

I never once needed a gun for black bears. Black bears will eat meat occasionally but it is not a huge part of its diet like grizzley bears. Sometimes black bears will eat fish or even baby deer but not very often. They would prefer berries, greens and other plentiful things in the woods or what humans give or leave out for them to easily eat, hense the reason we would have to hang our food packs in the trees. Black bears are pretty dang smart and will remember camp spots that they have stole food from and even figure out ways to climb trees and shimmy along the rope to get to your food pack. They will dig into a tent for your snickers bar you have in a plastic bag, in you pocket, in a sleeping bag, that is unopened just because they smell it. This does not mean they are after you, only because you were to dumb to keep it in your tent.

I have never, ever heard of a black bear trying to eat anyone ever in Minnesota, ever. I recently heard of someone being killed by one this year i think in Montana, but I am pretty sure it was not trying to eat them. I am pretty surprised on how many people in Oregon are scared and fear black bears here in Oregon. Probably from having little to none experience with them and false presumptions about them and mental blending of the nature of them and Grizzlys since Grizzlys are closer to Oregon than the midwest.

First off, most Black bears are actually small. A three year old black bear male is only about 180 - 220 pounds. When we see them, fear and adrenaline kick in and we percieve it as this huge monster mainly because you have never seen one, they are running, or just fear. Black Bears are pretty scared of humans, hence the reason you don't see them much in the woods. They can be not as shy of humans when they get used to finding food in garbage cans, at known camp sites, or areas that hiking trails are regularly used. I have been charged multiple times, over 20 times, and every time the black bear has stopped, most of the time at a distance of 10 feet, but a few times as close as 4 feet. This is their means of bluffing and trying to scare you. The hardest thing is to stand your ground. I used to tell my clients to close their eyes and hold their arms out and scream if they thought they would have the instinct to run if this ever happened to them. Black bears charging you are doing this for one of a few reasons, and none of them are to purely try to hurt you or eat you, and 99 percent of the time, they will stop short of you. YES, EVEN WHEN THEY ARE WITH THEIR CUBS. I am not trying to sound like the idiot bear guy in Alaska that slept with Grizzleys and said they were his friends, Im talking about black bears. When It comes down to it, a scared Black bear momma will even leave its cubs if she is scared enough. They will, growl, moan, hiss, charge multiple times, but in the end, they are going to save their own ***. A few times I would have wanted a gun to avoid scatting my pants but holding my ground, looking big with arms out and yelling at the bear, perciveered everytime. Once on a trail with 3 clients, I was in the lead and a sow with 2 cubs were scared and surprised as much as we were and the momma came charging at me and in the midst of things of me trying to get my pack off A paddle I had in one hand flew three feet forward and sorta bounced on end and barely hit the momma in the face and that was enough for her to think I was attacking and she fled about 30 yards into the woods and left her two scared little cubs on the portage trail. The clients were scared and I said, enjoy the next 30 seconds, they did, and the little bears ran off to momma who was just coming down the tree, the clients kept walking and I stayed back watching momma and the three of them kept going into the woods.

I know this all sounds like a hippie sounding too trusting but it is more of a comfort level from being in the woods with them, spending time with others in classrooms with video of experiences, and learning about black bears with the understanding that they are not violent animals and not falling into the same thing everyone else wants to believe about them.
I have had to use pepper spray 3 times only because their were kids in our group and just for the sake of them it was used. Everytime, I actually felt bad because I know that bear was just looking for food in our camp and the pepper spray works better than any gun caliber. That burning is so horrible for a bear, it wants to die and cannot do anything but run and cry. Mostly in their noses because they can smell so good.

Moral of this story - you don't need a gun for black bears. Enjoy them, if you get the chance to see one, odds are you won't see them very much, if they get to close, make noise or avoid them, don't be that guy with a camera trying to get a YouTube video of you and a black bear on the oppisite side of your picknick table. If you then don't have the balls, confidence, or smarts to do the right thing, use pepper spray, because odds are if you ever would get attacked by a Black Bear, you provoked it.

I can already hear the comments coming back at this, but here it goes. Coming from a state that has a huge black bear population and me personally spending 4 months out of every year as a guide for 5 years of my life in a area along the canadian border that was 3 million acres in size with no houses, roads, towns, or anything but woods and lakes (The Boundary Water Canoe Area and Quetico Provincial Park), here it comes....you don't need a gun for black bears. Ok, I wait for you to stop laughing. you done yet.

I have about 360 hours of classroom and in the field training and about 14,000 hours canoeing, hiking, portaging, camping, fishing, and hunting while guiding 2 - 8 clients at a time from anywhere of 3 - 14 days at a time only carrying and packing in what we need along with our canoes and paddles.

I never once needed a gun for black bears. Black bears will eat meat occasionally but it is not a huge part of its diet like grizzley bears. Sometimes black bears will eat fish or even baby deer but not very often. They would prefer berries, greens and other plentiful things in the woods or what humans give or leave out for them to easily eat, hense the reason we would have to hang our food packs in the trees. Black bears are pretty dang smart and will remember camp spots that they have stole food from and even figure out ways to climb trees and shimmy along the rope to get to your food pack. They will dig into a tent for your snickers bar you have in a plastic bag, in you pocket, in a sleeping bag, that is unopened just because they smell it. This does not mean they are after you, only because you were to dumb to keep it in your tent.

I have never, ever heard of a black bear trying to eat anyone ever in Minnesota, ever. I recently heard of someone being killed by one this year i think in Montana, but I am pretty sure it was not trying to eat them. I am pretty surprised on how many people in Oregon are scared and fear black bears here in Oregon. Probably from having little to none experience with them and false presumptions about them and mental blending of the nature of them and Grizzlys since Grizzlys are closer to Oregon than the midwest.

First off, most Black bears are actually small. A three year old black bear male is only about 180 - 220 pounds. When we see them, fear and adrenaline kick in and we percieve it as this huge monster mainly because you have never seen one, they are running, or just fear. Black Bears are pretty scared of humans, hence the reason you don't see them much in the woods. They can be not as shy of humans when they get used to finding food in garbage cans, at known camp sites, or areas that hiking trails are regularly used. I have been charged multiple times, over 20 times, and every time the black bear has stopped, most of the time at a distance of 10 feet, but a few times as close as 4 feet. This is their means of bluffing and trying to scare you. The hardest thing is to stand your ground. I used to tell my clients to close their eyes and hold their arms out and scream if they thought they would have the instinct to run if this ever happened to them. Black bears charging you are doing this for one of a few reasons, and none of them are to purely try to hurt you or eat you, and 99 percent of the time, they will stop short of you. YES, EVEN WHEN THEY ARE WITH THEIR CUBS. I am not trying to sound like the idiot bear guy in Alaska that slept with Grizzleys and said they were his friends, Im talking about black bears. When It comes down to it, a scared Black bear momma will even leave its cubs if she is scared enough. They will, growl, moan, hiss, charge multiple times, but in the end, they are going to save their own ***. A few times I would have wanted a gun to avoid scatting my pants but holding my ground, looking big with arms out and yelling at the bear, perciveered everytime. Once on a trail with 3 clients, I was in the lead and a sow with 2 cubs were scared and surprised as much as we were and the momma came charging at me and in the midst of things of me trying to get my pack off A paddle I had in one hand flew three feet forward and sorta bounced on end and barely hit the momma in the face and that was enough for her to think I was attacking and she fled about 30 yards into the woods and left her two scared little cubs on the portage trail. The clients were scared and I said, enjoy the next 30 seconds, they did, and the little bears ran off to momma who was just coming down the tree, the clients kept walking and I stayed back watching momma and the three of them kept going into the woods.

I know this all sounds like a hippie sounding too trusting but it is more of a comfort level from being in the woods with them, spending time with others in classrooms with video of experiences, and learning about black bears with the understanding that they are not violent animals and not falling into the same thing everyone else wants to believe about them.
I have had to use pepper spray 3 times only because their were kids in our group and just for the sake of them it was used. Everytime, I actually felt bad because I know that bear was just looking for food in our camp and the pepper spray works better than any gun caliber. That burning is so horrible for a bear, it wants to die and cannot do anything but run and cry. Mostly in their noses because they can smell so good.

Moral of this story - you don't need a gun for black bears. Enjoy them, if you get the chance to see one, odds are you won't see them very much, if they get to close, make noise or avoid them, don't be that guy with a camera trying to get a YouTube video of you and a black bear on the oppisite side of your picknick table. If you then don't have the balls, confidence, or smarts to do the right thing, use pepper spray, because odds are if you ever would get attacked by a Black Bear, you provoked it.

I'm going to have to throw the BS flag on this one. While black bear killings are indeed rare (17 in N. America in the past ten years) the killings are unprovoked and aggressive in most cases. Usually the bear hangs around the carcass and eats on it if the body and bear aren't found soon enough.

The one that bothers me most is the one in Mora, New Mexico, where a black bear broke a glass door to gain entry to a house and killed a woman in her kitchen. The bear ate at least part of the woman because her remains were found in it's stomach when it was tracked from the house and killed.

LINK

Black bears tend to hang around close and eat their kill.

By comparison, only 4 people were killed in that same time period by rattlesnakes, and who knows if they inexpertly handled the snakes such as going after a snake in the brush or under a building, etc?

I'm not sure what is B.S.? If your numbers are correct, 17 in the last 10 years, that is about the same odds of you winning the lottery dont you think, number of humans, number of bears, number of hours everyone lives in ten years. 17 is pretty small, not trying to argue, but what is B.S?

I'm not sure what is B.S.? If your numbers are correct, 17 in the last 10 years, that is about the same odds of you winning the lottery dont you think, number of humans, number of bears, number of hours everyone lives in ten years. 17 is pretty small, not trying to argue, but what is B.S?

BS is that you can just let them walk up to you, that they are just curious, and you can stand and watch them and their cubs.

We have bears, deer, elk, coyotes, wild turkeys, mallards and seasonally Canadian geese on our property. On very rare occasions I have seen cougar tracks. The only one I fear at all when I see it is the bear. If I saw one, I would also fear the cougar.

BS is that you can just let them walk up to you, that they are just curious, and you can stand and watch them and their cubs.

We have bears, deer, elk, coyotes, wild turkeys, mallards and seasonally Canadian geese on our property. On very rare occasions I have seen cougar tracks. The only one I fear at all when I see it is the bear. If I saw one, I would also fear the cougar.

Sure I would say that would be B.S. as well, Maybe you mistook something I wrote, or maybe I misworded something I wrote, since I wrote a short novel and was trying to do so before I had to leave. Would you care to provide the sentence that lead you to believe where they just walk up to you because they are curious? Or are you meaning I feel that you can just let them Walk Up to you Because they are curious. Well, that is a funny site, but It just is not going to happen. 1) They are scared of you. 2) They are not curious like that. They only come into camps for food, and get less shy after getting food from a camp site after multiple times and are more at ease, not meaning they are going to come up and let you pet them or hang out with you. 3) If you do come up on one out in the woods, Its going to either run, or its going to try to make you run, bluff charging you, making noise, and so on. Further info maybe on the incident I did quote about meeting the sow and two cubs on a trail. The woods with the portage trail were pretty thick except for a three foot wide worn down trail used to portage between lakes, and there was a running river or large creek a short distance to our left, which had enough noise to make while hiking at a steady pace, hard enough to even hear someone behind you talking clearly. I was surprised as fast as they were surprised to see me. Maybe that was not what you were referring to, please do explain. Thanks, Mark

P.S. I don't care if you feel different in opinion then me on if Black Bears are dangerous or if they are dangerous to the point of them out to get you. They are a wild animal and I only felt like sharing my personal experiences because not alot of people have the time or experiences that I have had with Black Bears. Does this make me a Black Bear Whisperer? LOL, no, and I am not claiming to. I was a professional, Paid, Trusted, guide in very remote regions of Minnesota and Canada that required experience, calm, rational thinking, and the ability to do the right thing if the SHTF because paying clients trusted and depended on me, and this is simply what I had observed and believed about black bears and because of the total amount of time in their habitat, experienced maybe more situations with them then the average person. That is why I feel I should try to let people know that their feelings of fear towards black bears maybe from other influences than actual truth or others real time experiences. In Oregon, the only one I fear is the Cougar, yet not seeing one, and will probably never see one. Have seen A black bear in the Molalla Rec. Corridoor while hiking up a logging road, It darted across the road we were hiking up about 40 yards ahead and was going so fast I was lucky to even have seen it. Smaller little guy about 130-150. Felt lucky seeing it since we never saw much other wildlife.

Comes down to maybe what I said can comfort at least one person on this site so the next time they are in the woods camping, they may not have a fear of a black bear pulling them out of there tent and killing them. There are enough things in this world that will kill you, I just don't believe a black bear is going to be one of those things.

Maybe you should use google before you post nonsense like you just did. You remind me of people who say "I lived in the ghetto for years and was never attacked!"

List of fatal bear attacks in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

uhhh, ok, reading your google data, they seem about the same amount, lets compare apples and oranges. Your more likely to be attacked by a slippery sidewalk and die than a Bear in General. Come on. Just keep on thinking all those black bears are going to eat you and hope for the day you can try blast one away. People like you are not going to change their way of thinking anyway. Some people are open for consideration, and others simply believe what others have imprented into their brain.

uhhh, ok, reading your google data, they seem about the same amount, lets compare apples and oranges. Your more likely to be attacked by a slippery sidewalk and die than a Bear in General. Come on. Just keep on thinking all those black bears are going to eat you and hope for the day you can try blast one away. People like you are not going to change their way of thinking anyway. Some people are open for consideration, and others simply believe what others have imprented into their brain.

Wow, you got issues

If I`m shooting at a bear with a handgun its only because its chasing me, I carry a .380 so when you find a .380 in a pile of bear poop call my mother..

serbu.jpg
Loaded with 1.5oz rifled slugs. Although I do like the bear mace idea best. Keep you CCW for the two legged assailants.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top