JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Michael McDonald ruined the doobie brothers

The Michael McDonald phase was when Tom Johnson left the group for a while. It was a definite change in the sound, and one that did not last. Tom returned, Michael left and things went back to a more traditional sound. In 1989 , I took my now wife on our second date to a Doobies show at the Civic in Portland. They has 22 people on stage, great show, but I had really fell for the great country music that was around in those days.

Between 1989 and about 1996 we must have went to 50 concerts. Alan Jackson and Mark Chestnut played the Memorial Colsiuem in Portland and they came out to The Drum, a great country bar in NE Portland. Got to visit and drink beer with both of them there. Reba, George Strait, John Berry, John Anderson, Merle Haggard, Ricky Skaggs, Patty Loveless, Vince Gill. I really cannot name them all. County fairs, state fairs, we love summer outdoor shows.

The Doobies have the sound only a core group that has been together a long time can have. All good groups have changes, and they are no exception. Tom, Pat and John have been there all along, they lost Tiran Porter early on, and Skylark as their bass player after he had a stroke I think in 2012. They brought John Cowan in has a bass player and they have added " Taking it to the Streets" with him doing the vocals on it. He has a Michael McDonald style to his voice, and they did it in their show last year at Edgefield.

I follow this group pretty close and have talked to both Tom and Pat after shows over the years. Tom Johnson is a musical genius in writing and composing and Pat Simmons is a world glass acoustical guitarist. The Wolf Trap concerts in 2004 are some great music.

I think the current line up they have is great, and one of the best ever. They are playing about 90 dates a year right now, they have cut back from about 130 3 years ago. I still have the 8 track cassette of Toluse Street I got back in the 70's.

Saw these guys twice on this tour - it was a lot of fun:

image.jpeg

Saw these guys several times too - twice for the Black album, also for And Justice for All as well as at Monsters of Rock at the King Dome which was around the time of Master of Puppets:

image.jpeg

Def leopard is coming here this year and I'm a bit g fan. But wonder if it's worth hearing there old voices now.

They are doing quite well. Voices holding , the one armed drummer is always awesome. This is an older video, I am not a Taylor Swift fan at all, and she can be distracting from the music:eek::eek:. You have to ignore her and concentrate on the bands music.

They are doing quite well. Voices holding , the one armed drummer is always awesome. This is an older video, I am not a Taylor Swift fan at all, and she can be distracting from the music:eek::eek:. You have to ignore her and concentrate on the bands music.

She's a gangly flat chested rat face.
And doing well for herself.

My concert list is too long to remember them so just looking at what stubs I managed to save

Ozzy on the Diary of a Madman and Ultimate sin tour
Judas Priest 3 times
Scorpions
Iron Maiden
Def lepard 2x once with tesla
Kiss
Ted Nugent
Cheap Trick
MSG
Metallica at the What was the Stary night club with Cliff Burton. Then 2 more times at just before they started to suck.
Pantera
Nirvana, with Red hot chili peppers and Pearl Jam.
QueensRyche very first live performance then 2 more times
Exodus
Megadeath 2x
Exciter
Smashing Pumkings
Styx
Janet Jackson (wife dragged me to it )
Flotsam and Jetson ( The band I was in Opened for them)
Sepatura
Poision Idea -several times.
Eric Clapton
Guns and Roses With the Rolling Stones in LA
Page and Plant
Aerosmith
Great White
LA Guns
Motley Crue
AC/DC
Tool

Which one was my favorite is hard to say. Ozzy in 82 was insane and Metallica on the Ride the Lightning tour when they were still poor and pissed off I would have to say were probably the best. But Judas Priest Put on a Amazing Show.

Saw Metallica in the late '80's at a few thousand seat venue in Providence Rhode Island. Metal Church opened. That venue had padded seats...at the start of the show...pretty intense!

the last tour w/ Cliff Burton in '86?...I missed them around that time when they supported Ozzy and then both stops on that Metallica/Metal Church tour because I had to work at my crappy part time job at the time. I did catch them a couple times on the Damaged Justice tour w/ Queensryche opening.

My all time was seeing Slayer in '88 @ what was a dance club at the time. The venue was completely unprepared for the chaos. They had metal folding chairs on the floor and as soon as Slayer's intro started playing, people just started chucking the chairs over their heads to clear the floor...

pTlittZ.jpg

Metallica March 19 1985 for a whopping $12.50 They came back in 86 I missed show one but they showed up at a friends house party afterwards It was funny my friend was a poser and not a fan and actually tried to get them to leave as they were taking away from his action . Then I saw them again with the Cult.

Are you referring the Slayer show at the what was a movie theater on foster? I remember that.

That Eric Clapton gig would have been sweet. That is a bucket list for me, but probably not happening. He is not touring much and it would have to be cross country. If he even came anywhere on the West Coast I will be there.

the last tour w/ Cliff Burton in '86?...I missed them around that time when they supported Ozzy and then both stops on that Metallica/Metal Church tour because I had to work at my crappy part time job at the time. I did catch them a couple times on the Damaged Justice tour w/ Queensryche opening.

My all time was seeing Slayer in '88 @ what was a dance club at the time. The venue was completely unprepared for the chaos. They had metal folding chairs on the floor and as soon as Slayer's intro started playing, people just started chucking the chairs over their heads to clear the floor...

View attachment 305433

Yeah I think it was with Cliff Burton, I got really into Metallica for a few years after that show.

I went to a Catholic high school with a reasonably relaxed dress code. Shirts needed a collar, couldn't wear jeans. Well we all started wearing concert t's over our shirts --- being the genius I am I wore my Metal Up Your A$$ shirt over mine. Got a good bit of detention for that one...

That Eric Clapton gig would have been sweet. That is a bucket list for me, but probably not happening. He is not touring much and it would have to be cross country. If he even came anywhere on the West Coast I will be there.

Eric Clapton was probably the most musically note for note perfectly played performance I have ever heard the mixing was dead on and just an amazing musical performance.

The one band that I wished I could seen would have been Pink for with David Gillmore and Roger Waters together.

but I have not been to a concert in a very long time.

Eric Clapton was probably the most musically note for note perfectly played performance I have ever heard the mixing was dead on and just an amazing musical performance.

The one band that I wished I could seen would have been Pink for with David Gillmore and Roger Waters together.

but I have not been to a concert in a very long time.

I saw Pink Floyd with David and Roger back in 1978, 79 ?? in Portland. Things were a bit hazy in those days, but it was an awesome show.

Eric Clapton without a doubt is the, if not one of the best guitarist to have ever have played. When he was asked one time what it felt like to be the best guitarist in the world, he said
" Don't ask me, go ask Prince. " Eric is damn good though.

This video is from the Royal Albert Hall Concerts of Cream in 2005. Eric and Jack Bruce, who is without a question the best bass player to have ever lived, backed by an average but bat sh*t crazy drummer in Cream have timeless music. Beware if you watch just one of these RAH videos, you will need to sit there for 5 hours to watch them all, they are that good.

If you want a good laugh, search out some of the interview videos with Ginger Baker. Dude is just a fry brain crazy old coot, but good for a laugh or two.

The Paramount Theater (before it was the Schnitz) had some great shows. KGON had the Catch a Rising Star Concerts back in the 70's there for $ 2.92 admission. ELO, Peter Frampton, Foghat among others. After it was the Paramount, it tamed down a bit. It was pretty off the wall there. people puking in the cans, blowing weed everywhere, pretty wild and fun really. Caught Ted Nugent there at couple times, had pretty bad tinitus after that show. Also saw Willie, Merle and Kris there in 08.

I never try to put what I feel is the best concert I have ever seen any more. When you have seen Led Zepplin, The Who, original Skynyrd, CSNY, The Outlaws, George Strait, you have seen some of the best. Today's technology makes the sound a lot better, but the wild side is hard to come by any more.

We have Bad Company and Foreigner coming up next month, and going to catch Little River Band in Tillamook next month as well. Like it has been said, you better go see them now, could be your last time as they (we) all age out of these thing.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top