Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best calipers

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by TAD, Feb 21, 2013.

1. TAD

TAD West Linn Active Member

What calipers are you all using? I havnt bought one yet and will be buying one soon so thank you for your thoughts.

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

For reloading I bought a digital set from the local auto parts store for about $20. Work great.

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a Plastic one sold by RCBS and I have a Digital one sold by Harbor Frieght. I also have a couple very expensive Sarrett Micrometers and when I test either the Plastic one or the Digital one they are repeatably within .0005" of what the Sarrett Micrometer measures. For the .001 world of reloading they are both way more accurate then required.

4. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Harbor Freight non digital. I figure it's accurate, it says .451 on my .45 bullets, .355 on my 9mm, .357 on the bullets for my .357.....I couldn't bring myself to trust a digital for some reason, too old school I guess.

5. ripcity

ripcity Milwaukie Active Member

I use minutoyo's. I got them from my previous work at no cost to me. They aren't the best but for reloading they work great.

6. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Yep, for reloading a dial type in the $20 range is perfect. You really need to justify an expensive caliper and most cannot, especially for just reloading and basic measuring needs.

7. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I have a dial style RCBS made of a plastic type material (yes, ir's green) and a Harbor Freight digital that cost less than $13.00. Hey, we're not building an ICBM here. LOL, they work fine for what we're doing.

Aloha, Mark

8. 10 Spot Terminator

10 Spot Terminator Central Oregon Member

Another vote for Mitutoyo stainless 6 inch digitals .

9. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

Lyman stainless dial

10. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Harbor Freight digital. Tested against my buddy's RCBS dial caliper, and they were both right on the money.

11. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

If I had the dinero I would be using a Starrett 6" dial caliper. As it is I am using a Lyman dial caliper (plastic.) It works.....

12. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

For reloading you'd be amazed at how well an inexpensive Digital Caliper can perform. If you're building parts for the Aerospace market, maybe it's necessary to have a Caliper capable of measuring down to the width of a molecule. For Reloading? Most all of the economical ones are capable of +/- .0005" resolution.

One thing nice about a dial caliper is that there's no battery to go dead. Those darn things always happen when all the stores are closed and you're in the middle of a late night reloading session:cool:

I have three calipers I've accumulated over the years. A plastic one, a nice Starrett Dial, and a "No-Name" digital that was given to me at a trade show in Las Vegas years ago. The "No-Name" has been the one I use almost daily.

13. BZawlocki

BZawlocki Lower Puget Sound Member

You might want to consider the Hornady Dial Caliper sold at Midway:

Hornady Dial Caliper 6 SS

It is more money than a plastic caliper but has a lifetime warranty from Hornady.

Bought mine a few months ago, works well, zero doesn't drift - nice caliper for the $$.

Bill

14. quneur

quneur Mukilteo, Wa Member

I found a Brown & Sharpe dial caliper at Goodwill. I won't say how much I paid for it but it was less than a Big Mac. :)

15. ripcity

ripcity Milwaukie Active Member

Brown and sharp are really nice. Good find at a goodwill. A co worker of mine found his brow and sharp at a yard sale for real cheap.

16. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Problem with some "Lifetime Warranties" is that you may end up with as much invested in shipping as the tool is worth if you have to "claim" that warranty.

I'm having that discussion right now with a certain maker of a Chronograph.

17. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Which is EXACTLY what the mfg. is counting on. Sometimes something being only 'As good as it's warranty' - isn't.

18. Janes

Janes Enid, Oklahoma Member

I bought some from Lowes, they are Kobalt. I first bought a plastic set and didn't think that they were very accurate, so I went back and bought the metal ones.

19. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

Yet another vote here. It is WAY more "accurate" than what is needed for reloading.

Good score!! I just love a story with a happy ending.

20. Dallas Ken

Dallas Ken Dallas Or. Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have an old set of Helios dial calipers I use from back in my machine shop days. Just use them because I already have them....way more accurate than needed. Around $20 should get you a set that is more than adaquate for reloading....I do believe in the metal though.