JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Plastic one sold by RCBS and I have a Digital one sold by Harbor Frieght. I also have a couple very expensive Sarrett Micrometers and when I test either the Plastic one or the Digital one they are repeatably within .0005" of what the Sarrett Micrometer measures. For the .001 world of reloading they are both way more accurate then required.

Harbor Freight non digital. I figure it's accurate, it says .451 on my .45 bullets, .355 on my 9mm, .357 on the bullets for my .357.....I couldn't bring myself to trust a digital for some reason, too old school I guess.

I have a dial style RCBS made of a plastic type material (yes, ir's green) and a Harbor Freight digital that cost less than $13.00. Hey, we're not building an ICBM here. LOL, they work fine for what we're doing.

Aloha, Mark

For reloading you'd be amazed at how well an inexpensive Digital Caliper can perform. If you're building parts for the Aerospace market, maybe it's necessary to have a Caliper capable of measuring down to the width of a molecule. For Reloading? Most all of the economical ones are capable of +/- .0005" resolution.

One thing nice about a dial caliper is that there's no battery to go dead. Those darn things always happen when all the stores are closed and you're in the middle of a late night reloading session:cool:

I have three calipers I've accumulated over the years. A plastic one, a nice Starrett Dial, and a "No-Name" digital that was given to me at a trade show in Las Vegas years ago. The "No-Name" has been the one I use almost daily.

You might want to consider the Hornady Dial Caliper sold at Midway:

Hornady Dial Caliper 6 SS

It is more money than a plastic caliper but has a lifetime warranty from Hornady.

Bought mine a few months ago, works well, zero doesn't drift - nice caliper for the $$.

Bill

Problem with some "Lifetime Warranties" is that you may end up with as much invested in shipping as the tool is worth if you have to "claim" that warranty.

I'm having that discussion right now with a certain maker of a Chronograph.

I have an old set of Helios dial calipers I use from back in my machine shop days. Just use them because I already have them....way more accurate than needed. Around $20 should get you a set that is more than adaquate for reloading....I do believe in the metal though.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top