JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For years I've relied on my trusty Frankford Arsenal battery powered digital calipers to measure for me while reloading thousands of rounds of ammo. Friend gave me a lightly used pair of Lyman SS calipers (no batteries required) and I started to use them to measure OACL etc. Funny thing thou, both calipers measure differently. While trimming .223 cases to 1.750, tried and true FA calipers say 1.750, new kid on the block Lyman says 1.752, yikes! When measuring something of known diameter, like a Berry's 62 gr. bullet, FA says 223.5 and the Lyman says .224.

I feel so used and so wrong for so many years, who to believe and does it make THAT much difference?

Sad in Salem.

Your numbers can easily change depending on how hard or light you are pressing on the other ones. This is likely what is happening or the arms are possibly thinner so the press in more easily or possibly thicker.

"A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure."
Apparently a similar circumstance is true with calipers.

Get a set of Brown and Sharpe and be done with it.

This coming from someone who was a journeyman machinist in a past life.

One thing I learned early on is cheap tools will more often than not lead to frustration and rework at some point down the road.

I just looked at a half dozen "reviews" of the ten best calipers, shocked is the only way to describe what I found. every one of them listed a sub $30 caliper as the best, with Mitutoyo filling 3 or 4 of the top ten. simply amazing.

If your eyes work, get a set of verniers. They don't rely on gears or magnetics.
Reading your data, on one of the calipers , the scale is off, which is why you are off by 1/2 thousandth at .2235 and a full two thousandths at 1.750
That's a significant problem. I don't know which one - would suggest you go to a Napa Parts store where they probably have gauge blocks for calibration (maybe call first ?).
Being off by 3-4 mils in a 338 Win Mag could be the difference between closing the bolt or not. I like to know my schnitt is a little tighter than that....

I just looked at a half dozen "reviews" of the ten best calipers, shocked is the only way to describe what I found. every one of them listed a sub $30 caliper as the best, with Mitutoyo filling 3 or 4 of the top ten. simply amazing.
Who did the evaluation, and what was their criteria?

Mititoyo is good too. I'd be shocked to know those were the real deal for that price.

Here's a pair of Brown & Sharpe very similar to one of the pair I use.

Get a gauge pin and measure it with both calipers. They are ground to tolerances that will allow you to verify which caliper's are measuring true or if either pair is measuring true. This is why machine shops and Q&A departments have their measuring instruments certified.

If your eyes work, get a set of verniers. They don't rely on gears or magnetics.
Reading your data, on one of the calipers , the scale is off, which is why you are off by 1/2 thousandth at .2235 and a full two thousandths at 1.750
That's a significant problem. I don't know which one - would suggest you go to a Napa Parts store where they probably have gauge blocks for calibration (maybe call first ?).
Being off by 3-4 mils in a 338 Win Mag could be the difference between closing the bolt or not. I like to know my schnitt is a little tighter than that....
I've got a set of pin gauges I bought several years back that work well for checking accuracy as well.

This is the first one that popped up when I searched best dial calipers. I suppose "best digital calipers" may bring different results.

This is the first one that popped up when I searched best dial calipers. I suppose "best digital calipers" may bring different results.

yes, I searched digital calipers, I have Mitutoyo, and Starrett myself. for engine building and setting up differentials.

Calipers are for elites.

1651800608829.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews