JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If money is not an issue, then a Weatherby Mark XXII with factory scope.
I had one that was made in in Italy by Beretta.
Besides being a beautifully made rifle, it was the most accurate .22 I have ever shot. You could switch between single or semi action, and they were made tube or magazine fed.
The biggest problem was it was too nice to take out into the field, so I sold it to a collector who locked it up in a gun safe.

For a cheap bolt gun, Savage is it.

My preference in semi's is the Sig 522. The M&P is a very good rifle, I'd have one if the 522 didn't exist, but the 522 is just a tad better in about every way for me. The only thing I don't like as much is if I have to carry it a really long way, then the 15-22 wins by a mile. It is quite a solid feeling rifle for being so light. A bonus for the Sig is not seeing one every time I go to the range.

Henry? The one with painted black receiver and plastic sights and barrel band? They may shoot well but plastic? On a lever gun? Do they offer a better grade? Maybe I saw the lowest level gun they made. But I would not give one as a gift.
Get a Winchester 9422. There is a reason they are expencive and hard to find. It's because they are well made and people hold on to them. And You asked what is the best! My 9422 mag is my favorite rimfire. It will do the job of a larger gun. And is still fun to shoot.
My favorite 22 LR is my SA22. And yes I shoot it. You can't see the wood and gold plating when you look down the sights. Both are very acurate. And work well.
You will spend more time with a 22 than any other gun you shoot. Just because it's so cheep. So get one that makes you feel good. If it's in your hands more shouldn't you pay more? And a well made 22 is a gun you can hand down. And will last many lifetimes. Mine put a smile on my face and everone that see's and shoots them, enjoys them. So don't let cost turn you off just because it's a 22.

I just picked up a Marlin special edition model 6082 Long Horn edition and it is fun and dead accurate. I also picked up on the same day a Henry AR-7 U.S. Survival Rifle and that sucker beats out my Dads old 10/22 that I grew up shooting. Another fun .22 is the Ithaca Model 49, first .22 I shot. They are are fun and cheap to come by. The last one I saw for sale at the Clackamas Gun Broker was $149 I believe.

Medic!

Your SA22 is gorgeous. I have a SA22 grade 1 (made in 1964) that has great mechanics and a clear perfect bore though it is not nearly so externally beautiful as yours. I completely agree with you about not being cheap or taking short-cuts when investing or buying a quality 22LR. I am hoping to soon get a used older Marlin 39A. I will begin considering your comments about obtaining a 22 magnum.

Marlin 795. It has a semi-bull barrel with irons, (between 10/22 bull and the regular sized one) last shot BHO, now has reliable 30 round mags, and very reliable. I grew up shooting one and can maybe count the number of times it has had a malfunction on one hand and cant remember the last time it had an issue. The aftermarket isn't nearly as good as the 10/22 but its good enough to keep it interesting. Plus you can find them under $150 all day

EDIT: I misread your question. For an outside the box .22 I vote for a GSG 5, Tec-22 Scorpion, GSG StG 44, or a RJF ZK-22 chassis for your 10/22

Henry? The one with painted black receiver and plastic sights and barrel band? They may shoot well but plastic? On a lever gun? Do they offer a better grade? Maybe I saw the lowest level gun they made. But I would not give one as a gift.

You are talking about their entry level lever gun, but you are both mischaracterizing and in error with your statement.

1.) The receiver is painted aluminum...as are other otherwise well-regarded rifles' like the Ruger 10/22. Is there a reason a lever action .22 receiver should not be made of aluminum?
2.) The newer rifles' hoods and barrel bands are metal right from the factory. If you have an older Henry, they will send you a metal hood and metal barrel band free of charge if you ask them to.
3.) They certainly do offer 'better grades' of rifles: http://henryrepeating.com/henry-rifles.cfm

I find mine to be a very fun, accurate plinker and I am by no means limited by what I can afford. For folks on a budget who want a lever action it is unbeatable in value.

Keith

Last Edited:
Get a Winchester 9422. There is a reason they are expencive and hard to find. It's because they are well made and people hold on to them. And You asked what is the best! My 9422 mag is my favorite rimfire. It will do the job of a larger gun. And is still fun to shoot.
My favorite 22 LR is my SA22. And yes I shoot it. You can't see the wood and gold plating when you look down the sights. Both are very acurate. And work well.
You will spend more time with a 22 than any other gun you shoot. Just because it's so cheep. So get one that makes you feel good. If it's in your hands more shouldn't you pay more? And a well made 22 is a gun you can hand down. And will last many lifetimes. Mine put a smile on my face and everone that see's and shoots them, enjoys them. So don't let cost turn you off just because it's a 22.

Very nice. Beautiful guns.

Another vote for the ruger 10/22 extrely reliable and with all the aftermarket gear out there you can have any feel you want with a couple of mins changing stocks. I'm about to do a desert tan archangel 556 to get the ar feel but within mins I can take it back to a wood stock carbine.

In your original post, you said you already have 10/22 and Rem. For the amount of money I have in my 10/22's I could buy 3 CZ's. For my money, you could look a long time and not find a better 22 than a CZ, in a moderately priced rifle. Savages shoot good also.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top