JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Over here they start out at like $13.00 an hour. My good friend has a bachelor degree, he's the Sargent, on street crimes, an d,ages about $55,000 a year. Been there 12 years. Risks death and maham for that? That's not phd money my friend.
I'd have to really like what I was doing to get paid like that. I find $13 per hour very difficult to believe (and I'm not calling you a liar). Tell you one thing, I got off on every moment I spent in the service, and it wasn't out of a sense of duty. But I'm an older different person now. Like the quote I heard in a movie once, "...where do you think you're going? You know the score... out there, if you're not 'cop' you're 'little people'". It's not to much different in a war zone. Except the suburbs are farrr from being a war zone.

Well I'm greatful for you service even though you don't accept the attention. I'd like to see what would happen without cops. But your service and my thoughts on cops pay isn't the same.
And I wish I would been a marine. Or any branch for that matter.

I'd have to really like what I was doing to get paid like that. I find $13 per hour very difficult to believe (and I'm not calling you a liar). Tell you one thing, I got off on every moment I spent in the service, and it wasn't out of a sense of duty. But I'm an older different person now. Like the quote I heard in a movie once, "...where do you think you're going? You know the score... out there, if you're not 'cop' you're 'little people'". It's not to much different in a war zone. Except the suburbs are farrr from being a war zone.
13.00 is the number. It's like 15.00 over in Junction city.

Well I'm greatful for you service even though you don't accept the attention. I'd like to see what would happen without cops. But your service and my thoughts on cops pay isn't the same.
And I wish I would been a marine. Or any branch for that matter.
Look, I know that I come across ugly and resentful. And usually I severely misdirect my feelings. The truth is that I just hate to see so many good people just going to waste on what I feel is a phony cause.

I don't deny that it is a difficult job, and when they go after real animals; rapists, robbers, wife beaters, murderers, thieves etc., the tax expense that they incur is almost worth it. But I have always seen the enforcement of our country's drug policies as a huge waste of tax dollars and an unnecessary endangerment to LEO personnel.
If weak willed people want to fry their brains on drugs, so long as they aren't raping murdering and doing all the previously mentioned, then leave them the hell alone until they do. Lift the prohibition and you remove the black market profit element. Prices drop, and the motive to commit crime in order to obtain (now legal drugs) lessens.

Instead of bogging down the jails with a bunch of tweekers who haven't done anything illegal beyond possessing and using, focus on the bigger fish, ie. the rapists, the robbers, the murderers etc.

Sure it's an ugly job, but so was serving in the military. And we weren't spending 90% of our encounters rolling up tweekers and crackheads with screwdrivers and hand guns, but rather well trained enemies with automatic rifles and explosives. And we did it for a fraction of the pay, and never cried about it; so don't give me any sh*# about walking in their shoes. I grew up in one of the meanest cities in the country, walked the streets, went to school, right past all the profitable prohibition commerce, during the height of the (phony) war on drugs. I didn't have a gun, or a vest, or a car, or a well equipped gang to back me up at the push of a radio button, and if anything did happen to me, the only thing LE would have been able to do is call someone else to scoop me up off the street, and maybe... just MAYBE find whoever did it. I'd definitely feel safer as a cop than just plain old unarmed "Joe" citizen, just as I felt a lot safer as a uniformed combatant than I would have as a civilian in some of the country's I helped wreck.

Sure, its a sh*tt# job... that pays better than any other Sh*tt# job that I can think of, and the perks aren't bad. I grew up around cops and was mentored by one (narcotics detective Los Angeles County Sheriffs heavy offenders bureau), and he was the one who told me that in the bigger scheme of things, the LE community's unquestioning enforcement of certain policies only serves to further tear this country apart, just as our brothers' and sisters' faithful military service only continues to make wealthy people more powerful while making more and more people over seas hate us.

Are the cops or the service members to blame? Depends on how high of a pay grade they hold, which is the real deciding factor in whether they are high up enough to know better yet still grow fat off of the tax payer gravy train, rather than blindly and faithfully obey like all the grunts who are just not quite perceptive enough to see the bigger picture.

Ok , feel free to rip me to shreds.

As an LEO, I have done a lot of investigations where simple use of substances resulted in something much worse. Murders, rapes, beatings, etc. I don't give addicts a free pass. I agree most of them are relatively harmless, but some do some really messed up stuff when they are loaded.

In all honesty, the job is not statistically as dangerous as most jobs or going to country concerts in Vegas. We do see the aftermath of some pretty horrible stuff, but so do any first responders, medical staff or combat veterans. We do get a lot of attitude from some creatively articulate azz-holes. I think stress is cumulative if you dont manage it.

Look, I know that I come across ugly and resentful. And usually I severely misdirect my feelings. The truth is that I just hate to see so many good people just going to waste on what I feel is a phony cause.

Sometimes it feels phony, but the first 100 reports you take about how he didn't really mean it and he is a great guy when he isn't using...

Sometimes it feels phony, but the first 100 reports you take about how he didn't really mean it and he is a great guy when he isn't using...
I hear you. It's almost too bad that in a so called civilized society, we can't just allow Darwinism to do the job. People cannot be saved from their own afflictions. They can only be caged when said afflictions hurt someone else. Some people don't really want help, but rather just leverage to strike back another. Regardless of whatever BS comes out of their mouths when you've got them in the car. But I guess you already know that.

I had standing offers to work at both police and fire agencies in the extreme Southern Oregon coast areas, and into Northern Ca. Granted this was back in the 90's but the wages in these smaller remote areas away from big cities are sh*t. Maybe 36K a year for laterals, and 28K for starts. Training grounds where the youngster start as LEO's and then jump as soon as they get 3 years under the belt. As mentioned in the other posts, 20 year Sergeants and Lt's were maybe making 55K, 60K. They were offering me 36K for fire positions (with 8 years experience) and 36K for LEO, still having to go to the academy. Never even considered it since I was making 60K plus at that time in construction management.

Even right now in the smaller areas and even in some larger areas the wages and total compensation packages are pretty poor. My son was a fire fighter paramedic in a mid valley city district and barely made 40K a year to start. After a year of that and all the bullsh*t azz kissing that you need to do in the oh so PC world of public employment, he made a change and is working in the St Charles system in Central Oregon, and will finish his nursing degree next spring and go to about 86K to start and be a hell of a lot less stress on the body.

I hear you. It's almost too bad that in a so called civilized society, we can't just allow Darwinism to do the job. People cannot be saved from their own afflictions. They can only be caged when said afflictions hurt someone else. Some people don't really want help, but rather just leverage to strike back another. Regardless of whatever BS comes out of their mouths when you've got them in the car. But I guess you already know that.

Legalize assault and remove all warning labels and end tort suits. Give it a few weeks. Anyone who could come around would have some sense knocked into them, the idiots wouldn't have any digits or eyebrows and it wouldn't be anyone's fault but theirs.

I had standing offers to work at both police and fire agencies in the extreme Southern Oregon coast areas, and into Northern Ca. Granted this was back in the 90's but the wages in these smaller remote areas away from big cities are sh*t. Maybe 36K a year for laterals, and 28K for starts. Training grounds where the youngster start as LEO's and then jump as soon as they get 3 years under the belt. As mentioned in the other posts, 20 year Sergeants and Lt's were maybe making 55K, 60K. They were offering me 36K for fire positions (with 8 years experience) and 36K for LEO, still having to go to the academy. Never even considered it since I was making 60K plus at that time in construction management.

Even right now in the smaller areas and even in some larger areas the wages and total compensation packages are pretty poor. My son was a fire fighter paramedic in a mid valley city district and barely made 40K a year to start. After a year of that and all the bullsh*t azz kissing that you need to do in the oh so PC world of public employment, he made a change and is working in the St Charles system in Central Oregon, and will finish his nursing degree next spring and go to about 86K to start and be a hell of a lot less stress on the body.

At least firefighters get chicks. Mostly normal ones at that. The chicks that fall for cops are often ones that the cop has arrested a few times without calling her any names. For many strung out women, getting arrested is the most civilized encounter with a man they have had in a while.

At least firefighters get chicks. Mostly normal ones at that. The chicks that fall for cops are often ones that the cop has arrested a few times without calling her any names. For many strung out women, getting arrested is the most civilized encounter with a man they have had in a while.

There were some head cases now and then, fire groupies, a couple of them borderline obsessive on a couple of the guys. Then there were some interesting calls where you were cutting some gals clothes off to treat her. I had to jump on a couple of my younger guys one time for eyeballing a bit too much and not paying attention to treatment protocols.

I did have one experience right out of Sex in the City one night. I was driving home and was about a block from the station when my pager went off and the doors were coming up. I went in the station and put my gear on and headed for the drivers seat, and one of the younger guys had decided that the hose bed of the first out was a great place to horse his girlfriend that night. She was bare azzed naked trying to get off that hose bed with about 10 guys and a couple of gals running into the station, there being a fair amount of hooting and hollering about that. My counsel to that young man was to pick the last out engine next time. He did not even make the call either.

There were some head cases now and then, fire groupies, a couple of them borderline obsessive on a couple of the guys. Then there were some interesting calls where you were cutting some gals clothes off to treat her. I had to jump on a couple of my younger guys one time for eyeballing a bit too much and not paying attention to treatment protocols.

I did have one experience right out of Sex in the City one night. I was driving home and was about a block from the station when my pager went off and the doors were coming up. I went in the station and put my gear on and headed for the drivers seat, and one of the younger guys had decided that the hose bed of the first out was a great place to horse his girlfriend that night. She was bare azzed naked trying to get off that hose bed with about 10 guys and a couple of gals running into the station, there being a fair amount of hooting and hollering about that. My counsel to that young man was to pick the last out engine next time. He did not even make the call either.

This begs the question....You watch Sex in the City?

This begs the question....You watch Sex in the City?

The wife was watching it one night years ago and there was a scene where Kim Catrall was about to get nailed by a firefighter in a NYC station. She had on somebody's bunker pants and boots and nothing else ( which I may have looked at) and this guy comes up to her and says ( in a heavy Bronx accent) " Hey lady get the f out of my fing gear, there is a fing fire". Now me being a firefighter and probably 3 drinks down at that time thought that probably was the funniest thing I had heard and ROFLMAO.

I have not watched it since and that one scene was worth the humility of admitting it here to be subject to potential ridicule. :eek:

Its ok, I watch the Bachelor with my wife.
Try getting bombarded with the secondhand noise from the drooling invalid's Dancing with the sTards obsession... TV's getting to the point where the only thing tolerable is the Weather Channel.

Unfortunately, she's also developing a real love of tuning in something she knows I hate, rolling her beached whale carcass over onto the remote and falling asleep on it... I hucking fate television. Worst invention in the history of our species...

Holster sniffing badge bunnies will get your badge almost every time. If you are retarded enough to knock one up or marry them not only will they get your badge but also your house and a quarter or more of your paycheck for yeeeears to come.

People can say what they want about LEO's, but without them we would be screwed.

We managed in America until the mid 19th century without them.

The presence of police is what enables gun control, because people are then able to imagine that cops protect them from crime. Unfortunately, cops don't do that; "when seconds count, a cop is only minutes away". With no cops, people would be forced to look at reality and arm themselves. A much more heavily-armed population means less crime.

Keep in mind that even now, non-cops kill twice as many criminals as cops do.

Of course, crime depends on a large range of factors, including poverty and government prohibitions (on guns, drugs or booze). Some say it depends on race, and it certainly depends on culture. Never underestimate the ability of government to make crime worse. There is a very good reason for this; just "follow the incentives". People in government prefer to manage problems rather than solving them, which would just put them out of a job.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top