Being A Cop

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Howard1955, Aug 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Howard1955

Howard1955
    Dallas, Oregon

Being a cop is not a job I'd want to have. I thought about it when I was a young man, and decided against it.

bbbass, clearconscience and Joe13 like this.
  2. MasterChief1

MasterChief1
    ID

You'd think your reaction time would be quicker...esp if you already had the taser out....dang...

Sgt Nambu, bbbass and Howard1955 like this.
  3. ikemay

ikemay
    WA

35 years is not nearly enough for this sub-human, IMHO.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    bbbass, Flymph, 3MTA3 and 3 others like this.
  4. dmack

dmack
    Central Oregon

Average persons reaction time is around 1.5 seconds. Given today's anti-police environment thanks to Obummer, many officers are even more hesitant and, unfortunately, that hesitation can be fatally costly.

Action will always be faster than reaction.

ob1, bbbass, Ura-Ki and 6 others like this.
  5. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

What sucks is there is so much scrutiny over not using the taser instead of a gun. This is why you don't bring a taser to a gun fight. Just the guy's jacket and angle make getting a good double probe difficult.

MasterChief1, Slobray, ob1 and 4 others like this.
  6. Mountainman38

Mountainman38
    Spokane

This kind of rhetoric is disgusting. You're laying the blame for police getting killed on President Obama (really clever misuse of his name there, by the way), which has virtually no demonstrable impact on police attacks.

Stop trying to put all the responsibility on our ex-president. Ascribe blame where it belongs... which is not easily done, since violent attacks, crime, and reactions to police in general are affected by a vast array of forces. Poor upbringing, lack of personal responsibility, entitlement... this is where I'd start looking.

that guy, Flymph and Ruger Rich like this.
  7. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington

You don't think any of the rhetoric of O'Bama or his pals Sharpton and Jackson have some blame in this? Remember the beer symposium? O'Bama calling a cop stupid without knowing anything besides his buddy was pissed because the guy did his job? You don't think their attitudes empower radicals? What about Trayvon looking like his non-existent son? Why is POTUS even comenting on a single shooting between two common citizens before a trial can even take place?

Slobray, ma96782, ob1 and 10 others like this.
  8. cigars

cigars
    Beaverton, USA
    Cav Scout/Armorer/Cold War/Communist Borders Platinum Supporter 2016 Volunteer

You're right. Eric Holder and his minions at DOJ had a lot to do with it too.

Slobray, ma96782, ob1 and 10 others like this.
  9. Kruejl

Kruejl
    Hillsboro
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter

Should have been life without parole. Or food or water either.

ageingstudent, bbbass, Ura-Ki and 4 others like this.
  10. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5
    2C IDAHO

I wouldn't be as scared of being shot, as much as being paid crap money to be a cop.
    With that said, I've done 2 ride alongside in the last month and I half and it was awesome!!!
    This last one was a prostitution sting on the johns. We grabbed 5 in 2.5 hours.
    It was so much fun!

Still crap money though!

bbbass, Howard1955 and No_Regerts like this.
  11. CoastRange57

CoastRange57
    Western Oregon

Not a police officer, have one in the family and another in extended family, and I have done a lot of tactical training, and just watching this video with that squirrels hand in his coat pocket and refusing to stop, and No Regerts correct and experienced comment about the Taser probes, makes me shudder. The officer exercised extreme restraint in my opinion, because breaking his fing hand or arm with the baton seems like a good option to me. Steamrolling him would have been an option if you had another officer there too, but not going to the ground one on one with him.

Of course that would probably deviate from protocol, and he would have to justify it if the squirrel did not have a weapon and that is where the agencies and our politicians do not fully support our street cops in the use of force and where officers are put into situations like this. Nothing good was going to happen here with that hand in the pocket.

12. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Crapper Gunsmith

I know this... putting arse on the line protecting ungrateful public and pols with crappy lowest-bidder gear and asinine ROE is a job I'd never want.

To all our members in the Thin Blue Line both current and retired, THANK YOU.

Slobray, partsed, 40isforme and 11 others like this.
  13. CoastRange57

CoastRange57
    Western Oregon

When the #1 person in the country and US President makes those comments, pretty much taints the entire country as for finding and impaneling an impartial jury.

Slobray, bbbass, AirResq and 4 others like this.
  14. clearconscience

clearconscience
    Vancouver, WA

This is what you get when criminals are always right and police are always wrong.

Cops have to get shot before they can use force.

I'm glad this LEO made it.
    I would much rather have a LEO come home than a dirtbag

Slobray, bbbass, cigars and 5 others like this.
  15. clearconscience

clearconscience
    Vancouver, WA

That video is hard to watch.

God Bless anyone in uniform that protects and serves out country and community.
    You are not alone.
    In the absence of back up, I would not hesitate to assist them.

Slobray, bbbass, Flymph and 4 others like this.
  16. Kruejl

Kruejl
    Hillsboro
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter

Many moons ago I applied to the WASP. Went through the written, oral board, polygraph and physical tests. During the lengthy testing I was awarded full custody of my then 9 month old daughter and unfortunately had to pass on the opportunity. 19 years later I still think about it from time to time. I really hate watching videos where LEO's get shot by some piece of meat. People can say what they want about LEO's, but without them we would be screwed. Yes, there are a few bad apples, but MOST of them are heroes that put their lives on the line dealing with some of the worst that most of us never have to see.

Blue Lives Matter.

IMG_2779.JPG

Slobray, Riot, ageingstudent and 10 others like this.
  17. Camelfilter

Camelfilter
    Salem

Actually, it's truthful.

Support starts from the top down. In that administration there was no support (even worse, the undermining of the blue on the street), and it showed.

In this administration there is support, and it also shows.

Slobray, ma96782, bbbass and 5 others like this.
  18. CoastRange57

CoastRange57
    Western Oregon

In ANY organization the culture and ethics are set by the people at the top. As goes their moral compass, so goes the moral compass of the organization and its people and the way they conduct business / operations. There is simply no other way.

Slobray, ma96782, bbbass and 4 others like this.
  19. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Crapper Gunsmith

Precisely--the short version is, as the old Turkish saying goes, "a fish rots from the head down."
    'A fish rots from the head down' - the meaning and origin of this phrase

bbbass, ogre, AirResq and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ruger Rich

Ruger Rich Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Excellent post