JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Forgot to mention the primary "what the heck was that" gun is a G17-RTF2 with a Streamlight TLR2, loaded with Speer Gold Dot hollow points. Three mags in the storage next to my bed. The 300BLK (200gr suppressed) and the 12GA (00 buck) are quick to grab as needed.

If you are concerned about collateral damage from AR rounds fired in built-up areas, consideration might be given to ammo like the US military MK311 Mod 3. Which has a jacketed, frangible projectile. Purple tip. Designed to reduce penetration beyond initial target area.

9mm PCC with light and single-point sling just in case I trigger the Mexican cartel. It really is overkill for the area I live in with nearly zero chance of needing to defend my home. The only things uninvited in my yard are deer and skunks.

I'm under the impression the last few years has seen a large increase in modern sporting rifles for a primary "bedside" home defense weapon.

Do you agree with this as a trend and if so, why do you think so many are choosing 5.56/223 over handguns or 00-buck?

Happy Labor Day everyone :s0160:
Mine is a suppressed 300BLK with a 10" barrel, 16.1" with silencer. I picked this because in the terrible eventuality that I have to use it, I'd rather not deafen my wife and kid. It's too late for me ;)

• Better "stopping power" than a handgun
  • Better accuracy than a handgun
  • Easier for smaller people to be effective with it than a handgun or 12 gauge (ie less recoil)
  • Adjustable to fit a wide variety of different sized shooters
  • More capacity than handgun or shotgun
There's a lot to like about an AR. There may be some downsides too though...like it's a two handed weapon and if you need a hand to dial 911 or wrangle small children, it may not be a good choice. Or if your house is small and/or confined it may be harder to maneuver with it.

There is no "one gun fits all" solution. So pick what works best for you in your specific application.

99.9% more likely to need these by the bed than a gun. So whatever gun you chose, mount a light and fire extinguisher on it. 1599536177007.jpeg

Own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended.

Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" As I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle.

Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot.

Draw my pistol on the second man, miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nails the neighbors dog.

I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel set off car alarms.

Fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion. He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up.

Just as the founding fathers intended.

What's wrong with having an assortment of appropriate tools at hand?
Pistol with hi-cap mag. Maybe more than one.
Fusil de Boudoir (either pump or auto) loaded with shot of an effective size &/or slugs
Carbine for serious social work in 5.56x45 or 7.62x39
Hearing protection
ADD: Fire extinguisher

Thus, you can choose the best tool for the situation.

Last Edited:
My 1st choice and closest weapon is my Brigade Echo with a binary trigger, laser and 1200 lumen light to go with the 32 rnd 9mm fun stick.
2nd choice is the HELLCAT thats on my night stand.
3rd is my G29 with light and 15 rnd mag.

We have other pistols stashed around the house.:)

Something to keep in mind is that IF your bedside weapon is actually used it will be taken as evidence until your innocence is determined. It won't be handled and stored as gently as you treat your own property and some (like anything that can be easily removed) or all you might never see again. That;s a BIG reason that my higher quality/more expensive firearms aren't on my bedside list.

Something to keep in mind is that IF your bedside weapon is actually used it will be taken as evidence until your innocence is determined. It won't be handled and stored as gently as you treat your own property and some (like anything that can be easily removed) or all you might never see again. That;s a BIG reason that my higher quality/more expensive firearms aren't on my bedside list.
In the unlikely scenario where I have to use them, the damage or replacement cost are unlikely to be a major portion of the overall expense and are of less than secondary importance in any case. Compared to life and limb of my family, a couple guns are truly worth it.

I've heard that and read that as well. Pretty common when there's a shooting that the shooter will be arrested and weapon used confiscated as potential evidence. Many times, the LEO's on site don't have any discretion in the matter. Have to have faith in the process and solid legal representation. As far as the guns go, I'll use the best I have that's most suited for the job to protect me and my family. I can replace a firearm, but what's inside the house is literally priceless.

I've heard that and read that as well. Pretty common when there's a shooting that the shooter will be arrested and weapon used confiscated as potential evidence. Many times, the LEO's on site don't have any discretion in the matter. Have to have faith in the process and solid legal representation. As far as the guns go, I'll use the best I have that's most suited for the job to protect me and my family. I can replace a firearm, but what's inside the house is literally priceless.

Good point and I'm definitely not suggesting using a firearm you can't trust. However, my (once upon a time) inexpensive Ruger AR556 is every bit as reliable and lethal as one of my higher end builds whose parts were 3 times the cost. If I have to pick one to spend a while in a police locker I'll pick the Ruger, at least until I've shot my PSA pistol enough to know I can trust my life to it.

The weapon you use for things that go bump in the night should be the one you are the most familiar with and comfortable using.
I think people are getting more black rifles than ever before due to pandemic and political unrest, so now they are more available to people as options, where in the past it was a pistol and perhaps a hunting rifle to choose from.

An AR with a 55 grain bullet is also a pretty good urban choice as a wall will cause it to tumbleand not over penetrate. My go to might become my new AR pistol once I have shot it enough under different conditions to trust my life to it. For now it's either my KSG or one of my existing AR's.
I am not sure tumbling is enough to keep the bullet from over penetrating. I think fragmentation is also needed. In many videos a couple of layers of drywall does seem to make some projectiles tumble but they continue on through many more panels before coming to a rest or going beyond the last panel and not captured. I think one of the 5.56/223 bullets that did the best was the 77gr stmk. I will see if I can find the footage to post where they tested all kinds of bullets and calibers in a real house.

A pure fashion trend. The (much scalped) Remington V-Tac 13 strikes me as the best possible combination for close quarters conflict, either indoors or short-range outdoors.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top