JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Something to keep in mind is that IF your bedside weapon is actually used it will be taken as evidence until your innocence is determined. It won't be handled and stored as gently as you treat your own property and some (like anything that can be easily removed) or all you might never see again. That;s a BIG reason that my higher quality/more expensive firearms aren't on my bedside list.

Since I do not (yet) own anything that is super valuable I never even give the gun being lost a thought. One of my PCC's is one I would like to replace anyway (Kel-Tec S2K), another is easily replaced (Ruger), another is a Casper gun and I have to stuff to make another. One 1911 was Fathers so has some value but it would come back some day so no care there. Now if I win the lotto I will of course have to buy at least one 1911 in the 10K area but, if I won the lotto and they take that? I will of course just buy another. If there is any "upside" to the stupid laws making selling more trouble than it's worth to me it's that I have never owned so many guns at any one time. So if one is taken even for years, who cares. Now if someone has something they can not replace? Hell yes it should not be where it's going to have the possibility of saving your butt.
Years ago there was some old guy caught some scum had broken into his garage. When confronted they came after him and lost to a shotgun. Police of course took. Soon he was at some sporting goods store buying another shotgun and here is some scum reporter filming him asking him why he is buying another. Journalism at its finest. :mad:

If I have shoot an intruder(s) I do not care if my firearm is seized and never returned. If I survive the encounter my gun has done its job. :)

Regarding the video, the title of the video is "Why I think overpenetration is Fudd nonsense" then sets up a test that shows that it is absolutely not nonsense and a real concern in home defense.

Does this guy not realize that his own "proof" made the title of his video made him look like a maroon? :s0153:

whatamaroon.jpg

What I took from it is an ar15 with proper ammo selection is no worse at overpenetration than many other popular choices and in many cases it is better. If I was using a shotty I certainly would shy away from buckshot and probably use #4 birdshot.

What I took from it is an ar15 with proper ammo selection is no worse at overpenetration than many other popular choices and in many cases it is better. If I was using a shotty I certainly would shy away from buckshot and probably use #4 birdshot.
I keep #4 buck in mine. Buckshot comes in gauges other than 00 after all.

On the topic of over penetration - I've never seen a case where overpenetration caused an injury in a HD situation, for whatever that's worth.

Last Edited:
00 buck has its place, but also its limitations. As does any self defense round you can name. Nothing is perfect, to be sure. I'm comfortable with my 9mm loaded with with Gold Dot for most scenarios, but the suppressed 300BLK and the shotgun are kept close as needed. Always use the best tool for the job....

Every platform and load will have compromises. For myself, I just try and make an informed decision and practice as much as possible. Following rule #4 of gun safety will make any overpenetration issue moot. I also have never heard of any instance where a sd shooting inside of a home resulted in a unintended injury or death after passing through walls, although I am not naive enough to think it is not a possibility.

In my experience any projectile that is used for defense , may cause over penetration issues.
The most practical solution for this is not to miss the intended target.
( Which again from my experience , may be difficult , when under stress )

As noted above....do your homework and research , try different types and brands of ammunition from your firearm to see what best suits your needs and concerns.
Andy

Something to keep in mind is that IF your bedside weapon is actually used it will be taken as evidence until your innocence is determined

You say that like its a total done deal and required by law. BS.
Now, if you want to say that IT MAY, then thats acceptable.

A few years ago I researched ammo selection for 5.56, 9mm and 12 gauge. For home defense a hollow-point or soft-point 55 grain offered the best compromise between over-penetration and effectiveness. The hard truth is that anything that will stop inside a bad guy and still be effective will go through two layers of drywall with ease. The 5.56 HP just slowed down the most. 9mm came next and 12 gauge brought up the rear. If you're in an apartment 5.56 is the clear winner. In a house in an urban setting I would be comfortable with any of the 3. In a rural setting the 5.56 again takes the lead with its accuracy at distance. I never wrote everything down but as I recall the 9 being lower velocity didn't expand as rapidly and was more likely to over-penetrate. Buckshot goes through walls like, well like buckshot through cardboard whether it's 00 or #4.

So my take is that whatever you chose is 100% better than not choosing. Nothing is perfect but you can make choices that will somewhat reduce collateral risk. Given all of this, my final advice is to use what you're comfortable with that matches closest with the information above, and practice practice practice. Shot placement is the most important factor for so many reasons.

I don't jump to new things very easily. Beside my bed is my 1911 and a saber. On my wife's side of the bed is her 20 gauge and usually another saber. I'm on the outer edge of the city but meth-heads are my biggest issue, so I tend to rely on a sword or a big stick for anyone who needs a good thump, rather than anything more lethal.

1) "If I was using a shotty I certainly would shy away from buckshot and probably use #4 birdshot."
Better hope the Orcs aren't wearing leather jackets.

2) "Beside my bed is my 1911 and a saber."
A 3/4 size axe is another good bedside contact weapon.

I might have an old leather old leather jacket i can do some ballistic testing on with a load of lead #4's. From my years of shooting scatter guns I would predict it would be quite lethal at home defense ranges. And what is an Orcs?

My last "house shoty" is a safe queen now but, it's still loaded with OO. I have never given any real thought to the over penetration thing. Mostly because almost everyone will go their entire life and never have to shoot anyone, in the home or out. So the odds of being the poor guy who has to, add the odds of a round that missed leaving the room to hit another, and you are way up there. Years ago when we were in another of these panic shortages a buddy who did not own a gun and had some problems with his Wife waking up to find people trying to get in finally got a nice 9mm pistol. I gave him some Speer 124gr+P GDHP for it that were impossible to find at the time. Showed him some video of them doing impressive stuff in gel. Just said if you shoot some scum make sure your Wife is not standing behind him :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top