JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't jump to new things very easily. Beside my bed is my 1911 and a saber. On my wife's side of the bed is her 20 gauge and usually another saber. I'm on the outer edge of the city but meth-heads are my biggest issue, so I tend to rely on a sword or a big stick for anyone who needs a good thump, rather than anything more lethal.

Get your mind right. If somebody is in your house, posing a threat to your well being, that goes beyond stick or sword in my way of thinking.

Everyone has personal preferences, and mine really have nothing to do with the following point, but it seems fitting as an example: The people who clear houses and shoot bad guys for a living generally do it with rifle calibers in rifle type firearms.

Pistols generally suck at everything compared to rifles except in their ability to be concealed.

Get your mind right. If somebody is in your house, posing a threat to your well being, that goes beyond stick or sword in my way of thinking.
In my area, we have incidents of drunken students wandering into homes and apartments quite frequently. Shooting one would be a bit excessive, though possibly warranted based on an intoxicated and angry individual in your home. Out of the dozens of such incidents the past few years, none have ended with one of them getting shot.

I get your point with an intruder in your home, but over here, it is almost never anything other than a drunken mistake by a kid, and having something other than a firearm to chase them out with is a good idea.

Capacity, reliability, reduced recoil. Everything is going to penetrate interior walls anyway. Might as well just deal with 1 projectile per pull over 9 pellets or if your IQ is room temperature, however many balls are in bird shot.

In my area, we have incidents of drunken students wandering into homes and apartments quite frequently. Shooting one would be a bit excessive, though possibly warranted based on an intoxicated and angry individual in your home. Out of the dozens of such incidents the past few years, none have ended with one of them getting shot.

I get your point with an intruder in your home, but over here, it is almost never anything other than a drunken mistake by a kid, and having something other than a firearm to chase them out with is a good idea.
Imagine being home and some drunk kid breaks into your house thinking it's theirs. Then they attack you because they think YOU'RE the intruder. Not every drunk is susceptible to persuasion. This is the equivalent to shooting your over/under into the air to scare the intruder, or simply racking it to persuade them to leave.

Imagine being home and some drunk kid breaks into your house thinking it's theirs. Then they attack you because they think YOU'RE the intruder. Not every drunk is susceptible to persuasion. This is the equivalent to shooting your over/under into the air to scare the intruder, or simply racking it to persuade them to leave.
I can imagine all sorts of scary things. But I choose to live in reality; and reality is that out of the dozens of incidents in my area, none required lethal force to resolve.

Resolving to resort to lethal force immediately is not a sound policy.

How often do drunks wander into the wrong home, thinking it is theirs?

At my house, a person would have to kick in a door or smash a window before being able to "wander in" - which, if someone takes the effort to break in to get into my house while I am home, they'll almost certainly get a loud welcoming.

How often do drunks wander into the wrong home, thinking it is theirs?

At my house, a person would have to kick in a door or smash a window before being able to "wander in" - which, if someone takes the effort to break in to get into my house while I am home, they'll almost certainly get a loud welcoming.
Yeah, sounds like more of an excuse to me as well, but as they say, I'll do me and so on. I don't live in a condo complex where they all look like cookie cutter productions. No one should ever be that drunk.

Yeah, sounds like more of an excuse to me as well, but as they say, I'll do me and so on. I don't live in a condo complex where they all look like cookie cutter productions. No one should ever be that drunk.

I sure wouldn't have sympathy for someone who chose to get that drunk. A funny family story is when my uncle came home sick drunk while he still lived with my grandparents. My grandma was trying to help him and my grandpa shouted downstairs, "let the sucker die." I suppose in our family we believe people deserve the suffering they bring on themselves, generally speaking.

Some of us don't jump straight to lethal force, Sir. If someone is in my house posing a threat to my family, yes, firearms will be involved. In my neighborhood, however, it's usually the same scrawny, malnourished thieves poking through a car or looking for a bicycle to steal out of a yard. You gonna shoot somebody because they're digging for change out of your truck? I've survived several years of conflict in the Balkans, South West Asia, and the Middle East, so I've had enough experience in knowing when I don't need to shoot someone.

Some of us don't jump straight to lethal force, Sir. If someone is in my house posing a threat to my family, yes, firearms will be involved. In my neighborhood, however, it's usually the same scrawny, malnourished thieves poking through a car or looking for a bicycle to steal out of a yard. You gonna shoot somebody because they're digging for change out of your truck? I've survived several years of conflict in the Balkans, South West Asia, and the Middle East, so I've had enough experience in knowing when I don't need to shoot someone.
Clearly, we were talking about someone in your house being a threat to you and your family. That was the discussion at hand and the premise for my comments.Thank you for your service Marko and welcome to the board!

Last Edited:
Some things to consider :

With self defense your only tasks are to survive the encounter and perhaps stop the threat.
How this is done , will vary wildly and may include evading or the use of force.

In regards to swords :

Room and much practice , will be needed.
Most "short swords " have a blade length of 20 - 24 odd inches.....most European style single handed swords will have a blade length of 27 - 32 odd inches...Sabers , generally speaking , are also found with this blade length.

To use a sword effectively one needs practice...those blade lengths mentioned above , can be tricky to use in a confined space.
Now I know that good swordsmanship is not at all like flaying about wildly and hoping to hit something...
Nor is it dashing about like Errol Flynn and or dramatic posturing like Arnold in Conan.
So again practice , good practice and knowledge of the space you will need , is crucial.

One last thing to consider with the use of 'unconventional weaponry" is that your opponent may not take you or your weapon seriously.
Andy

Some things to consider :

With self defense your only tasks are to survive the encounter and perhaps stop the threat.
How this is done , will vary wildly and may include evading or the use of force.

In regards to swords :

Room and much practice , will be needed.
Most "short swords " have a blade length of 20 - 24 odd inches.....most European style single handed swords will have a blade length of 27 - 32 odd inches...Sabers , generally speaking , are also found with this blade length.

To use a sword effectively one needs practice...those blade lengths mentioned above , can be tricky to use in a confined space.
Now I know that good swordsmanship is not at all like flaying about wildly and hoping to hit something...
Nor is it dashing about like Errol Flynn and or dramatic posturing like Arnold in Conan.
So again practice , good practice and knowledge of the space you will need , is crucial.

One last thing to consider with the use of 'unconventional weaponry" is that your opponent may not take you or your weapon seriously.
Andy

I agree! I've had instructors and trained with a variety of swords since '95. I don't suggest anyone try to become a strip-mall ninja overnight.

Clearly, we were talking about someone in your house being a threat to you and your family. That was the discussion at hand and the premise for my comments.Thank you for your service Marko and welcome to the board!
I apologize for losing track of your original proposed premise. I didn't mean to derail anything with my off-handed comment.

You gonna shoot somebody because they're digging for change out of your truck
Nope. I used to plan on making an (armed) exit out the bedroom window if I detected someone in the house; nothing in there was worth killing over. Now I have a family, and I find myself remarkably intolerant to any potential threat to them. But no, someone poking around in the yard isn't an immediate threat to them, and will probably have their hands full getting back over the fence after the dog discovers they're on the wrong side.

I agree with the AR as a defense weapon in most situations. I also think of all the unused AR's that will be sold when the scare is over and the sheep don't want that scary black killing machine in there house.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top