JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While it's not "always" untrue... my thoughts on that are... those folks probably feel the same to a degree but deep down realize they lack the comittment to do it themselves, are using the jutifications they accuse others of using and wish they had more backbone and conviction.
For anyone with family and existing deep roots in a community, it IS a big commitment. And should be done on a very thoughtful basis. More than a few people have taken the plunge then regretted it. And some, having blown their wad making the move, don't have the wherewithal to reverse their mistake and they get stuck.

A long-time friend of mine and I have discussed this before. In the past, most such big moves were for economic reasons. During WW2, my family of unlanded farmers moved to the cities to take good-paying jobs in factories making war goods. After the war, they never went back. But to make these moves, they gave up all their familiar surroundings and comfort zones. Because they had the fortitude to take on the unknown with the hope of gaining something better. However, not all people are made the same way. For one thing, the landed people with some substance aren't likely to move. But even many of the impoverished cannot bring themselves to relocate. They don't have that same fortitude. However poor their lot, it's a comfortable one and they won't give it up.

It took them a while to build trust and friends in the community. They were outsiders going into it.
Yes, and it can take some time to gain acceptance. I knew one person who moved to rural Missouri, set up a new business and lived there many years. He told me, "If you're not born here, you can live here for twenty years and you'll still be an outsider."

City residents may not understand this. Because in the city, people are just more numerous and being around strangers is common. People move in and out of cities and nobody cares and few will comment about where a person is from. In small towns, that's not the case. Residents there are used to the same, relatively small group of people. As a general rule.

I have moved umpteen times several countries and states and not even from here !
1669781527178.png

Yes, and it can take some time to gain acceptance. I knew one person who moved to rural Missouri, set up a new business and lived there many years. He told me, "If you're not born here, you can live here for twenty years and you'll still be an outsider."
Great observation. The same can be said of some rural places in Oregon. Many of the locals here were high school sweethearts, got married, had kids and they go to school here and repeat the cycle. We've been here over 30 years now and still feel somewhat on the outside, maybe because we live a little way out of town.

My parents moved from the small Oregon town they raised their kids in, to another rural community only 30 miles away. They lasted about 10 years and moved back. I'll never forget my mom telling me "those people weren't like us".

At my age, I'm not sure I have another 30 years left to gain acceptance. But then at my age I don't really care that much.

Great observation. The same can be said of some rural places in Oregon. Many of the locals here were high school sweethearts, got married, had kids and they go to school here and repeat the cycle. We've been here over 30 years now and still feel somewhat on the outside, maybe because we live a little way out of town.

My parents moved from the small Oregon town they raised their kids in, to another rural community only 30 miles away. They lasted about 10 years and moved back. I'll never forget my mom telling me "those people weren't like us".

At my age, I'm not sure I have another 30 years left to gain acceptance. But then at my age I don't really care that much.
Unless you are cutting down 100 year old growth or catching tons of fish with a net you are out of the loop !

Yes, once you retire and move elsewhere with your money, people can go whistle. You don't need the connections to rely on making a living. I've seen that dynamic up in Winthrop, Wash, where a lot of retirees bought homes. Of course they were numerous enough that they didn't have to even speak to locals (if they didn't want to), there were so many of their own kind in the big, new houses outside of town. Moving to a small town in the midwest as a onesie, that would be more lonely.

The new resident wealth effect works both ways. I knew a couple who moved to northern Idaho in the 1980's. Twin Lakes, to be exact. Before the influx from California. They were a May-December couple, with the guy being old enough to retire which presented the opportunity to move. They had the biggest home on the road and all their neighbors were locals native to Idaho, if not Twin Lakes. Some of them had moved to Twin Lakes because at the time, it was cheaper to live there than in town. Knowing that the new neighbors had more than a couple of nickels to rub together, it wasn't long before some of the locals were coming around, borrowing and bumming things including food. And in the winter time, coming over to take showers due to lack of hot water in their own homes. And asking for rides here and there because their cars were broken down, etc., etc. Oh, and in the winter time, that quiet, pastoral setting was often blown apart due to a snow mobile track the locals had set up in a nearby pasture. The couple didn't stay long in no. Idaho, maybe three years.

I was planning on bailing out prior to the election regardless of how it went. My plans to move to North Dakota didn't materialize but I'm still looking to got out of here. I've just had enough of the commie sh!thole, I can wait to buy another gun until I'm back in a freer state.

Just like when people from either side scream about moving to Canada when their team mascot loses, people are screaming about leaving Oregon. Big words backed up by little for the most part. Most people do not have the means to unplug their whole life and reboot elsewhere, even a different city in the same state. Some do, and good for them. Talking about it is just masturbation with a side of Internet points

Cool story bro.

Moving to another locale is just another form of mental masturbation and does have a short reward cycle. Having lived in many other locales, they all become the place you left, because of the influx of emigrants. Leaving a location because you don't like it can make you feel 'good' but no one is going to miss you or your politics, you just make it better for the opposition. Besides, think about 'enclaves' for politics, ethnicity and culture. Are you really 'changing' something?

I've been wanting to move for several years now. I own my own business and it takes a lot more than just moving someplace and finding a 9-5 job. it takes about eight years to get this business going doing top work and building a reputation to where your phone actually rings without spending a ton of money on advertising and there is no guarantees so it's large investment.
Maybe selling the business is an option?

Anybody else moving to a freer state?
No. -Least ways not yet. Oregon is home now.

Long distance moves can be simple on the face, throw in career, kids, family, general "enjoyment" & they CAN turn complex rather quickly.

Add on any hobbis/lifestyles which can be challenging/expensive to have someone else move CAN make such moves even more complicated. Firearms, ammunition, reloading equipment & components as an example insofar as the boards.

A similar example would be folks with shops, machines, tooling, tools, parts etc.

Many ways to accomplish goals though, so there is that.

-Our goal (at the moment at least) is to buy our "forever home" within 45 minutes of our respective employers. While the housing market here is on the downside of the bubble. "Cash". Or mostly "cash"/minimal mortgage with enough on hand to pay off with minimal movement delay.

Severe concerns over markets collapsing/inflation, so would rather own our home&property (even at a loss).

We still have quite a while before "retiring" though, so there is that - PLUS would CURRENTLY have to take pretty severe salary cuts to move anywhere WE would like to live.

-Everyone's situations are different, with reasoning & complexity for a long distance moves being variable & complex (or simple).

Suppose we'll just be folks behind "the lines" doing the best we can...

I still think the grass is green on this side. Especially since leaving a city like Reno.

My family has been here since 1847, with a pioneer cemetery full of them to prove it. I can only imagine what they'd think about what's become of the place that they risked everything for to get here on a wagon train. Selling out two ranches and some businesses is probably easy until you have to do it. At my age, I'll just stay here and be a problem for the progressives that gave us this disaster.

Most people do not have the means to unplug their whole life and reboot elsewhere, even a different city in the same state. Some do, and good for them. Talking about it is just masturbation with a side of Internet points
Most people have the means, they just lack the actual will. That goes for everything. Rather beach about things to anyone that will listen and make empty threats and false promises while never solving anything. Funniest part is many of those people made equally empty promises and excuses to put up a fight before things reached that point.

Cucking posers. Glad I left them behind in WA. Worth the massive disruption to my life. Now when I work to maintaining our 2A freedoms, I only have to carry 1/7th the load, since MT has 1/7th the population.

My family has been here since 1847, with a pioneer cemetery full of them to prove it. I can only imagine what they'd think about what's become of the place that they risked everything for to get here on a wagon train. Selling out two ranches and some businesses is probably easy until you have to do it. At my age, I'll just stay here and be a problem for the progressives that gave us this disaster.
I have similar sentiments. I haven't done the genealogy thing, but do know my dad and his dad and his dad and his dad are all buried in the same cemetery near where I grew up about an hour from where I now live. It's tough to imagine leaving, but things in this state just keep getting worse. It used to be the Liberals in Oregon didn't bother me one bit. They had more of a Libertarian attitude back in the days before they evolved into Progressive bullies.

It would be tough to leave. I keep my circle small and my beer cold as the saying goes, so would hate to leave my good friends behind. I don't have many newer friends. Mostly long timers. Also, my neighbors are awesome. Moving somewhere else is akin to buying a pig in a poke.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top