JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
what their teaching my kids is just as bubblegum.
This is an interesting point. Schools in the cities, by and large, have been watered down to the lowest possible denominator. Never has more money been spent to achieve less. I have no experience of it, but I'm wondering if some schools in rural areas are in better shape. Both as to academics and reduced social activism. Surely something I would investigate fully if I had minor children and was contemplating such a move.

Do not move to rural areas to keep you children away from drugs. Sounds good on its face, it won't work by itself. The drug cartels have distribution networks that go from southern California to most points in the rural midwest and elsewhere.

Years ago a buddy did the move out of greater Seattle and over to Northern Idaho. Their son is an adult, no grandkids, and hence no family attachments.

It took them a while to build trust and friends in the community. They were outsiders going into it.

None of it is or was easy for them, even with more financial resources than most people. They are doing fine now.

What we need is to get more 2A supporters to move here rather than leave. Oregon is a good state, just shyt leadership and too many imported antis. What needs to happen is that more businesses need to move out of the anti counties and into the counties that will actually support their rights. Make some of the smaller cities more enticing to larger companies and cause a shift in the tax dollars.
Oregon has some good benefits for veterans that other states don't offer. Property tax discounts, vehicle registration for service connected veterans.
Oregon could be a great state to live in and for businesses. People just need to see that 36 years of the same BS has caused a decline in the states standing.

What I find interesting is some folks always on the soap box about others just talking big but will never follow through with their words. Be it not complying, voting with their feet.... or what have you. It seems to be quite the preoccupation they have and the same theme that arises at every possible opportunity.

While it's not "always" untrue... my thoughts on that are... those folks probably feel the same to a degree but deep down realize they lack the comittment to do it themselves, are using the jutifications they accuse others of using and wish they had more backbone and conviction. In the end though it just makes them feel oh so much better about their own lack of action to believe everyone else is JUST like them.

I realize more people these days just blab to blab and hardly ever mean what they say, but many still actually mean what they say and it's pretty rude and insulting to keep throwing it in their faces, "No you don't!!". Let's give the soap box a rest. :s0155:

...and I'll get of mine now, too. 🤣

For the OP... I'm certainly looking into it and have started actively shopping around at locations. It may happen later than sooner or quicker than I thought. It depends on what I find and what land opportunities present themselves.

It's not one thing in particular, but a cummulative effect to reach that decision. This past election with kotex and 114... maybe just more of a last straw that's about broken any faith I have in our state doing a turn around.

Been planning on a move for years, but something always gets in the way. Right now it's wrapping up medical issues for my wife that are better treated here than elsewhere.

Other places are mighty tempting with the last few years of equity in out insane housing market buying a nicer house with acreage in several freer states that are otherwise far more inexpensive to live.

The main squabble being the Mrs. wants me to shovel snow and I don't want a thing to do with it.

I'll miss Oregon's natural wonders, but the Oregon I was born and grew up in no longer exists. Common courtesy and polite behavior is a thing of the past. The new Oregon seems chock full of people who want to walk all over you at any opportunity they can get.

Moving to Idaho next year, but not just because of the election. We have a townhouse outside of boise that my wife is staying in as she works in school towards her DNP, and once she is finished we plan to move over there with her. Ill transition to a more remote style job and we want to let the kids finish out the school year here.

Moving to Idaho next year, but not just because of the election. We have a townhouse outside of boise that my wife is staying in as she works in school towards her DNP, and once she is finished we plan to move over there with her. Ill transition to a more remote style job and we want to let the kids finish out the school year here.
Be wary - Idaho is the next domino to fall as the Locusts begin to abandon Oregon and move elsewhere.

Boise is already chock full of them and when they have the tiniest of margins over the rest of Idaho it will be Oregon all over again.

Be wary - Idaho is the next domino to fall as the Locusts begin to abandon Oregon and move elsewhere.

Boise is already chock full of them and when they have the tiniest of margins over the rest of Idaho it will be Oregon all over again.
I was wary about this happening too. We've got family over there and from what they've said it's still overwhelmingly red. Any turning of blue will hopefully be many many years down the road.

I considered relocating from Washington a few years ago, but my wife is reluctant to leave her friends here, not to mention our 3 adult boys. Also, was glad to be close enough to first class medical care at Virginia Mason when I had to have surgery for prostate cancer.
Still would like to move to Wyoming, would be nice to be closer to my cousins in Billings and Red Lodge, MT. The cancer in Seattle is spreading, and Eastern Washington doesn't have enough voters to offset the progressives in King, Pierce and Snohomish counties. I still say that as long as we don't have a state income tax, I will stay, but if that ever gets passed, I hope I will still be physically able to move.

Idaho folks should push for a State level electoral college system. Now.

I have been trying to convince the wife that Wyoming or Alaska might be more to my liking but that was vetoed. She knows that with that big DNP money the mountain snowmobile spending will get even more out of hand living in either of those places.

Hate to break it to ya.......
BUT, But, but.......
These days........

1669744222984.png

Yeah.
Nowadays.......
"Californians" are everywhere.

Aloha, Mark

Oregon has lost its libertarian appeal in the last 20 years or so. We plan to keep our place at the coast, but will be moving our primary residence elsewhere in 4 more years. Our plan was in place before the election (taxes) , but this removes any lingering doubt I might have had.

It's bad here politically, but if you turn off the news and live your life, it's still a great place to be.

I've got my little slice of heaven on earth, and I can do whatever I want here on my property. Shoot to my heart's content, ride dirt bikes/quads, dink around in the shop all day, walk endlessly in the woods, etc. I essentially only go into town for work and groceries.

Small town like Sisters hasn't gone full woke. The schools are good, so the kids won't get the full Portland insanity.

I'll move if that changes, but until then, I'm sticking around.

Just my 2 cents. I am Oregonian by birth and have lived around the country over the years. Tx, Fla, Id. I hate the politics here in Oregon but I also never found Nirvana elsewhere. Most recently owned some property in small Idaho town not near big city. Terrible drug problem and vast majority of the people on food stamp programs. Lot of the same crap as in big cities just a little more compact. I have no ill will toward monetarily challenged folks but it seems that when they get on the gov't teat they do not get off. I find rural property in Oregon while well stocked at home and backup power it's as good as anywhere. I lived in LA in seventies and loved it. Those days are over. My guess is that rural California, inland and away from cities is still fine. Karens would not like the area we live in. Plus Oregon still has pretty good forestry and farm tax rates. Besides, I am getting a little long in the tooth and am heading in the general direction of the barn so I'm going to stick. Best of luck to you all.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top