JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
your question is not an easy one for sure. as there are 2 sets of lwas both protecting and persecuting you. Oregon state law states that any person/persons over the age of 16 unless occompanied by an adult of the age of 18+ may discharge a AIR RIFLE with a projectile in the state of oregon. also AIR RIFLES do not fall under the category of firearm in oregon either. fals under the category of that slingshots and wrist rockets fall under in state law, which states that any person/persons may use this device where city law is applicable. so it would have to be up to city law, in which they never cover bb/pellet rifles.

so heres a better answer to your question. oregon state law falls under the sub12 category for projectile weapons. you may shoot withing any city in oregon as long as your pellet rifle is shooting sub 12 ft/lbe (foot pounds of energy) which is calculated by your muzzle velocity.pellet weight. my air rifle is shooting at 625fps with RWS superdome pellets which are 8.3 gr putting me at 7.2 ft/lbe at the muzzle. at 60 yards im at 4.5 so im still within limits of longer range hunting.

also if your intent is to control non native animals in your area IE european starlings, house sparrows ECT then you have no reprocussions. also try finding a farmer who will let you use that property for your needs. then its at the discresion of the farmer as to the laws you abide not the police and state law. theres loopholes like this in every state you just gotta know what they are and how to find them

If you have the law handy, please cite it. Note that if it doesn't have a pre-emption clause, then city ordnance is fully in effect and one is not allowed to discharge the weapon as I've cited above.

If you have the law handy, please cite it. Note that if it doesn't have a pre-emption clause, then city ordnance is fully in effect and one is not allowed to discharge the weapon as I've cited above.

im on my cell phone or i would be willing to look up the ORS#. But in oregon air rifles dont fall under oregon law for firearms. Firearms fall under the pretence of any weapon/weapons or item that use an explosion or explosives to propell a projectile through a barrel or implemented aiming device as a firearm. Under linn/benton county law and the majority of oregon it only states ones right for firearms within city limits. I have never seen a law against air rifles that are sub12 ft/lbe. Also a felon cannot own a firearm but can legally own purchase fire and hunt with an air rifle and does not need to be a sub 12 rifle.

Hunting with an air rifle is also permitted under ODFW and state law for hunting small game and vermin controll. It in the end comes down to who you talk to if a officer is dispatched to the residence and how they feel. If your in your own property in the open of people shooting against a solid backstop that cannot be penetrated cleanly, and does not cross property lines nor are you shooting in a direction that could lead to personal injury/death or damage to property i really wouldnt worry about it much. Remember cops have better things to do then hastle a father and son for shooting a simple air rifle.

I have cited such law in the city of Beaverton. It doesn't make a distinction by power of the air rifle.

no it doesnt make a distinction through the ors laws but is a requirement through the ODFW for taking small game with a air rifle in oregon. But is not listed i had to spend 4 hours on hold with ODFW to get my answer about hunting turkeys with an air rifle in city limits here in eugene. They told me state law is there no restriction on air rifles in residential areas. As for the turkey if i took it on my personal property like i had planned on i dont need tags or anything. Nor do i need permissions to take the game bird from my own property. I have answered the question more than once here....

Answer is as long as the rifle is a sub12 rifle it is permitted to be shot in city limits. No air rifle purchased at a walmart will ever be more than a 12 pound rifle. Not at .177 cal. Only rifle that isnt sub 12 is the weirough W100T. Which is shooting at a blistering 1050fps OOTB which with a crosman premier hollow point pellet weighing in at 7.9gr thats 13fbe. No .22 technically fals under sub 12 unless its a pistol. Beaverton falls under ORS and does not have a ciy ordinance per say. Always call up the police station or non emergency police and get an exacting answer also as i had to to buy my air rifle and make sure it wasnt a felony for myself to own one and fire one

I live in north Eugene, I shoot my bow in the front yard and the boys shoot there airsoft all around the house. The folks around here wouldnt know the diffrence between airsoft and the pellet riffles we shoot in the backyard only. Fenced with a pellet catcher behind target. ( no wasting lead around here. They become real bullets later. ) No problems yet anyways.

no it doesnt make a distinction through the ors laws but is a requirement through the ODFW for taking small game with a air rifle in oregon. But is not listed i had to spend 4 hours on hold with ODFW to get my answer about hunting turkeys with an air rifle in city limits here in eugene. They told me state law is there no restriction on air rifles in residential areas. As for the turkey if i took it on my personal property like i had planned on i dont need tags or anything. Nor do i need permissions to take the game bird from my own property. I have answered the question more than once here....

Answer is as long as the rifle is a sub12 rifle it is permitted to be shot in city limits. No air rifle purchased at a walmart will ever be more than a 12 pound rifle. Not at .177 cal. Only rifle that isnt sub 12 is the weirough W100T. Which is shooting at a blistering 1050fps OOTB which with a crosman premier hollow point pellet weighing in at 7.9gr thats 13fbe. No .22 technically fals under sub 12 unless its a pistol. Beaverton falls under ORS and does not have a ciy ordinance per say. Always call up the police station or non emergency police and get an exacting answer also as i had to to buy my air rifle and make sure it wasnt a felony for myself to own one and fire one

Once again, I am not talking about ORS (state law). City ordinance in Beaverton prohibits discharge of an air rifle. Unless ORS has a pre-emption, Beaverton city ordinance is the controlling law, and no discharge is allowed.

5.08.225 Discharging a Weapon.

A. No person shall intentionally discharge a firearm into or across a public place or while located in a public place.

B. No person shall intentionally discharge a pellet gun, BB gun, bow and arrow, sling shot, or other similar weapon that expels a projectile by means other than by the action of smokeless powder.

C. This section shall not prohibit the discharge of a firearm or a weapon that expels a projectile by means other than by the action of smokeless powder while at a reasonably safe and regularly operated firing range.

D. This section does not prohibit the discharge of a replica firearm displayed in accordance with the replica firearms ordinance or the discharge of a weapon that expels a projectile by means other than by the action of smokeless powder, so long as the projectile expelled upon discharge is one of the following:

1. A commercially manufactured spherical projectile which contains paint and which is designed to break and splatter upon impact, commonly known as a “paintball”;

2. A commercially manufactured spherical projectile with a diameter between and including 5.98 and 8 millimeters, constituted of common styrene plastic or biodegradable plastic, weighing no more than 0.36 gram per sphere.

E. A person who violates this section commits a Class B misdemeanor. [BC 5.08.225, added by Ordinance No. 3703, 12/18/89; Ordinance No. 4009, 6/16/98; Ordinance No. 4423, 2/26/07]

Chapter 5.08 OFFENSES

Haha, so my airsoft gun that shoots .40g bb's is a firearm. Funny. I do know that in portland, you can't fire bb guns in city limits

Haha, so my airsoft gun that shoots .40g bb's is a firearm. Funny. I do know that in portland, you can't fire bb guns in city limits

They don't classify them as firearms, they just prohibit their discharge. Makes one wonder though, if the Beaverton PD carries reloading scales to weigh the BB's before booking 7 year old suspects...

About 50 years ago my dad and I were shooting pellet pistols in our basement with the windows open. Next thing we knew, police at the door! Our neighbor had heard us and called it in. The officers politely informed us that fireing pellet guns in the city (Portland) was illegal under any circumstances and left with no citations issued. LEOs were a lot more friendly back then. There was no "us vs them" mentality, at least in Portland. Pretty stupid of our neighbor.

fd15k;640755]5.08.225 Discharging a Weapon.

A. No person shall intentionally discharge a firearm into or across a public place or while located in a public place.

B. No person shall intentionally discharge a pellet gun, BB gun, bow and arrow, sling shot, or other similar weapon that expels a projectile by means other than by the action of smokeless powder.

Ummmm. So let me see if I can trim the fat of the supposed logic here:

"No person shall intentionally discharge a pellet gun, BB gun .... by means other than by the action of smokeless powder."

Soooo does anyone know where you can get a smokeless powder pellet or BB gun?????

Last I knew, BB guns and pellet guns were smokeless without powder.

Maybe I didn't get the memo.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads