JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Guns are tools and tools are meant to be used. It's not that we "abuse" our guns, it's that we treat them like tools. We're not afraid to get them marred up, scratched, et cetera. Nothing worse than a tool that sits in the shed 24/7... or a firearm that sits in the safe...

Totally agree. Maybe it's like the distressed clothing fad (which probably isn't a fad any more because it's been popular for decades). Maybe it's age related. I don't see many old dudes like me walking around in new (distressed) jeans. I don't see many old dudes like me with intentionally grimy guns.

(My apologies to you "young" dudes.)
View attachment 771615
(These are CURRENTLY for sale online. It's a real thing. :confused:)

Same for me - guns gotta be cleaned after the range. Must be some type of inherited genetic trait, like needing the toilet paper to come of the top of the roll versus down the back.
The othe day I was giving a subordinate a hard time about some jeans like that. When he told me how much he paid for them (as if to justify it) I told him I would have sold him half a pair of jeans for a quarter of that, if he'd asked nicely.

The othe day I was giving a subordinate a hard time about some jeans like that. When he told me how much he paid for them (as if to justify it) I told him I would have sold him half a pair of jeans for a quarter of that, if he'd asked nicely.
Meanwhile I had to sew the cargo pants that were $15. If he wanted pants that made him look like he works, I got a shelf full of em in the truck. At $60 a pop. :rolleyes:

Guns are tools and tools are meant to be used. It's not that we "abuse" our guns, it's that we treat them like tools. We're not afraid to get them marred up, scratched, et cetera. Nothing worse than a tool that sits in the shed 24/7... or a firearm that sits in the safe...

Use and neglect are two different things. A good example is my duty gun. Its got wear from going in and out of a holster. It gets about 4000 rounds a year through it, but its always clean and doesn't have any damage. I see guns with chunks of metal missing or terrible scratches. There is no excuse for that.

All of my hunting rifles get hunted, but they are immaculate. I don't let my guns get banged up and scratched because a compromised finish leads to corrosion. I see guys drop rifles on the ground, leave them unprotected from things like ATV gun racks, etc. I even prefer blind magazines to avoid the salts in my sweat from causing excess wear on a floor-plate.

Meanwhile I had to sew the cargo pants that were $15. If he wanted pants that made him look like he works, I got a shelf full of em in the truck. At $60 a pop. :rolleyes:
Same deal. Blew the crotch out of a pair of cargo pants a couple weeks ago, tried to stitch them up, but they were cheap enough that I felt justified tossing them and buying another pair.

Same deal. Blew the crotch out of a pair of cargo pants a couple weeks ago, tried to stitch them up, but they were cheap enough that I felt justified tossing them and buying another pair.
Same, but when you're on the road and gotta get out to untarp and all that, you gotta stitch em up so the forkies and crane operators don't see what ya got underneath!

True. I have some of my grandfather's tools that have decades of use and show their scratches and dents. They have a lot of sentimental value and still work great. But I am not about to take my brand new Snap-On wrenches and beat them against the concrete or take them to a belt sander to make them look like my grandfather's 50 year old wrenches just because I like the look and nostalgia. Nor would I leave them out in the rain rusting and expect them to work when I need them.

People can do what they want with their money. I customize my gear to fit what I like. I just have never understood getting into the fake distressed look by purposely wearing out your gun before you even shoot it. Let alone purposely neglecting simple maintenance for no reason.

There was the fake patina fad going on in the hotrod community several years ago, too. I never understood it either. Why would I want to spend all the money to restore a classic car then paint it to make it look like it just came from the junkyard?

Beat up, neglected and grungy are easier for me to forgive then an amiture gunsmith/re finisher job. I once bought a model 99 Savage that looked like the stock was dipped in marine spar varnish runs and all. It gets worse, the case harding was colored in with a Perma blue cold bluing pen. It was so homely I had to bring it home and do my best to give it back some dignity.

I guess it depends on your priorities.

I have a single shot falling block rifle that I care for with a loving touch. To me, when hunting game with a rifle, the piece matters. If it don't make me happy, I wont carry it.

For ducks, it's all about the dog. So long as the gun is reliable, I don't care. Present autoloader gets cleaned once a year. The gunsmith insults my lineage. I don't care. All I want is to watch the dog work. So I take it home, and more or less flood the mechanism with Rem Oil (I know it's the wrong way to treat a piece. But I have zero emotion attached to the gun. For me, it has the same sex appeal as a hammer or tape measure).

I have no rational explanation as to why I feel this way.

I was taught long ago to :
Take care of my rifle , as it will take care of me.
Having had to use a rifle to stay alive , has only reinforced this notion.

I understand use and wear marks on a firearm...abuse and neglect however , has no excuse.
Even when in a combat zone , we made time to take care of our weapons.

To spend my hard earned money on a firearm , only to abuse and neglect it , goes against anything that I have been taught or learned from my experiences.
Andy

I would not expect to see that kind of pitting in stainless... am I wrong? Truly, IDK, I could be under a wrong impression or operating on the wrong info!!

Stainless will rust. It's rust resistant, not rust proof. There are many diff. formulations of stainless steel, some contain more iron content than others.

Maybe it's like the distressed clothing fad

Completely beyond my understanding. Knees ripped out of jeans used to reflect some level of impoverishment. Those moms would go to the yardage store and buy denim sticky patches to go over the rips.

It's not that we "abuse" our guns, it's that we treat them like tools

Use and abuse are two different things in this discussion.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top