JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't realize the grubby slob style was a thing. Guess I can see it, though, looking at how most people take care of their cars (am I alone in keeping an engine bay clean???).

Sitting in the garage, music or a podcast going, kiddo asleep upstairs, working on a gun is as close to zen as I'm getting. Don't know why anyone wouldn't want to keep their stuff in proper working order.

I didn't realize the grubby slob style was a thing. Guess I can see it, though, looking at how most people take care of their cars (am I alone in keeping an engine bay clean???).

Sitting in the garage, music or a podcast going, kiddo asleep upstairs, working on a gun is as close to zen as I'm getting. Don't know why anyone wouldn't want to keep their stuff in proper working order.

I see snippets of it all over the place. "I got 15,000 rounds through it and aint cleaned it once! I just spray a mixture of PAM and Mobile 1 Synthetic on it and go! It likes to run WET!"

I see snippets of it all over the place. "I got 15,000 rounds through it and aint cleaned it once! I just spray a mixture of PAM and Mobile 1 Synthetic on it and go! It likes to run WET!"

The oil streaks from that leaking outta the holster are going to make the appendix carry guys look like they're pissing their pants. It fits.

I think I know exactly what you mean. I'm convinced that there is no replacement for a good father (and mother too) in a young person's formative years.

Great, now you just have to convince everyone else. Society has a long way to go to getting back to deifying or at least glorifying the family and the role of parents.

How about the "battleworn" cerakote people pay good money for?
Or the 'home' attempts to equate the same? - I saw this done to a pre ban Colt A2 a few years ago at a gun show.

Why, pray tell, would anyone want to create the appearance of a rifle being 'battleworn' ? Is this done to express a 'fantasy' of the owner, or to create a replica of something they saw, say in a video game?

Why would anyone want to artificially degrade a firearms' appearance - even if it is just a run-of-the-mill MSR?

Or the 'home' attempts to equate the same? - I saw this done to a pre ban Colt A2 a few years ago at a gun show.

Why, pray tell, would anyone want to create the appearance of a rifle being 'battleworn' ? Is this done to express a 'fantasy' of the owner, or to create a replica of something they saw, say in a video game?

Why would anyone want to artificially degrade a firearms' appearance - even if it is just a run-of-the-mill MSR?

I haven't served but I can't imagine that anyone who has and who has used a rifle long enough to naturally procure a "battleworn" style wouldn't jump at the opportunity for a brand new, hot outta the packing grease weapon.

Seems to me that only LARPers want it, and it's only ever a style, not something real. Hell, I have a battleworn style set for a future build...set to look like a Star Wars blaster...so, yep, LARPing ;)

I didn't know it has become a badge of honor. I keep my guns clean for the most part. They do get used though, and they show it. Nothing major, but holster wear and light scratches from use is normal and expected. Being in the construction industry, there's lots of jokes about the guy that walks on a site with shiny new tools and an unscathed hard hat.

How about the "battleworn" cerakote people pay good money for? :D
That's usually the guy looking for the board stretcher, with a bucket full of hammers he was told to collect.

I didn't know it has become a badge of honor. I keep my guns clean for the most part. They do get used though, and they show it. Nothing major, but holster wear and light scratches from use is normal and expected. Being in the construction industry, there's lots of jokes about the guy that walks on a site with shiny new tools and an unscathed hard hat.

How about the "battleworn" cerakote people pay good money for? :D
That "battleworn" cerakote is the ultimate poser move. :rolleyes:

I cannot stand having dirty guns! I used to live by the gun, and a dirty gun was a dangerous thing to rely on when lives were on the line! Honest wear is fine, and even expected, but seeing the stuff I have seen, makes me wonder! I have seen rifles from WW-II that were literally used to beat Nazi's to death after they ran out of ammo, and they were not all that worn or damaged, besides the stocks! I have seen 1911's that were so badly worn, they should have been scrapped, and yet they were still being issued and used, and were reliable and accurate!

I have seen this at ranges doing training, saw a guy with a Beretta that looked like it had been all through Iraq and back and never cleaned, only to find out it was brand new and had been made to look beat up and used! I have also seen pistols with green bores from all the copper foweling, and they kept on banging away at the targets and wondering why they couldn't score as well as the pistol should!

Why has it become a badge of honor to have a beat-up gun that hasn't ever been cleaned? Is it to prove it gets shot? Is it to prove it works, despite the neglect?

Regardless of whether its my guns, boat, fishing gear, hunting gear, etc., I do my best to make sure its well taken care of. I clean all of it after its been used. And believe me, I use all of it quite a bit. I also replace parts as recommended or when it appears to need it, whatever comes first.

It just amazes me when someone shows me their beat-to-schit gun with carbon caked onto it. I feel bad for then gun. Its like seeing a kid with holes in their clothes, ribs sticking out, dirt under their nails and crusted over boogers on their face.

Forgetting the fact the thing looks like crap, how can anyone who neglects their firearm claim the state of their firearm makes it MORE reliable or accurate than one that is well maintained?

Well, I'm lazy and I don't have OCD. My pappy taught me to clean everything after use, but the only thing I ever do that with is handtools/mechanictools. I've discovered that well made pistols/rifles/shotguns don't need to be cleaned after "every" use, so I don't. I wait until whatever interval seems appropriate to myself, or has been proven to be needed. For instance, I clean and lube my AR bolt before every use. Same with my 1911, when I had them. Not so much with my Glock. But I would never claim to anybody whatsoever that it makes it work better. The only time I can imagine that is if a firearm was cleaned and left dry/unlubed.

Intentional abuse of a firearm in order to attain a certain worn appearance degrades the value of it. That part of the issue alone makes no sense to me.

One of my relatives who was just an ordinary shooting guy and a reloader was bad about firearm hygiene. He figured smokeless powder and modern primers are non-corrosive, why bother wasting time cleaning the bore after every session. BUT: While this generally might be true, over time ambient air and humidity conditions can create corrosive situations in bores. When this relative turned over most of his guns to me to sell, I had to perform all the long-overdue cleaning. A couple of older Ruger 77's had minor pitting in the bores from corrosion. One .22 rifle wouldn't fire because the oil surrounding the firing pin had turned to varnish.

I clean firearms after every shooting session. If events prevent me from doing it that day or evening, it nags at me until it gets done.

I can't believe anyone thinks (insert aesthetic) looks good! How dumb and stupid!

Excuse me as I load up my 7.62x39 AR pistol with bipod and 4-26x tasco scope with atleast 6 different punisher skulls and 3 different moldy labia decals.

Battlefield distressed isn't my jam, but as far as cringy goes it is far from the worst thing I have seen from the gun community.

A couple of older Ruger 77's had minor pitting in the bores from corrosion.

I can relate to that. But I always clean and winterize firearms that are not going to be used over the off season. So no pits for me. That and my only remaining 77 has a stainless barrel. I would not expect to see that kind of pitting in stainless... am I wrong? Truly, IDK, I could be under a wrong impression or operating on the wrong info!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top