JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like a frat house or a biker bar.

I wasn't in a fraternity, but had a good situation in college with a few guys at an apartment complex. It was a popular place to be since it was a good time with no pressure. If a chick wanted to hang out, cool. If not, NEXT!

We would have 3 or 4 bottles of liquor wrapped up in tin foil. All shots were free unless you got the last one. Then you paid for the whole bottle.

Why has it become a badge of honor to have a beat-up gun that hasn't ever been cleaned? Is it to prove it gets shot? Is it to prove it works, despite the neglect?

Regardless of whether its my guns, boat, fishing gear, hunting gear, etc., I do my best to make sure its well taken care of. I clean all of it after its been used. And believe me, I use all of it quite a bit. I also replace parts as recommended or when it appears to need it, whatever comes first.

It just amazes me when someone shows me their beat-to-schit gun with carbon caked onto it. I feel bad for then gun. Its like seeing a kid with holes in their clothes, ribs sticking out, dirt under their nails and crusted over boogers on their face.

Forgetting the fact the thing looks like crap, how can anyone who neglects their firearm claim the state of their firearm makes it MORE reliable or accurate than one that is well maintained?
It seems that the gun culture has changed and basic things like cleaning a firearm or policing up your brass are things that have fallen by the wayside. Certainly not all shooters are like this, but it's changed that's for sure. It might be because a lot of young men don't go into the military anymore where that basic premise is taught and rigidly adhered to.

I wasn't in a fraternity, but had a good situation in college with a few guys at an apartment complex. It was a popular place to be since it was a good time with no pressure. If a chick wanted to hang out, cool. If not, NEXT!

We would have 3 or 4 bottles of liquor wrapped up in tin foil. All shots were free unless you got the last one. Then you paid for the whole bottle.
Nice system. I've seen more than one soda vending machine with root beer replaced with real (but very cheap) beer in a frat. I also saw a "utility room" with a false wall into which all of the party gear could vanish in a matter of minutes. Basement party room? No idea what you're talking about. :)

It seems that the gun culture has changed and basic things like cleaning a firearm or policing up your brass are things that have fallen by the wayside. Certainly not all shooters are like this, but it's changed that's for sure. It might be because a lot of young men don't go into the military anymore where that basic premise is taught and rigidly adhered to.
Policing your brass is better explained by younger shooters learning to shoot at indoor ranges, where policing your brass is often not allowed or discouraged.

I was thinking more along the lines of outdoor shooting.
Exactly.

When you have noobies who learn inside and who don't learn about brass collection, it can translate to poor etiquette outside.

Maybe I'm off base here but I've seen a similar lack of etiquette from the latest generation of climbers as compared to the learned-on-the-rocks generations of the past.

It's not malice or laziness that drove the behavior but just mild ignorance.

That's the point I was trying to make.

I've never understood the "battle worn" thing at all. It is one thing that a firearm, even a well kept one, ages over time and with use. But to deliberately expend time and money on such a finish simply does not compute.
It's the same thing with cars. The "patina" look is all the rage and folks spend really good money having nice paint jobs applied, sanded thru to the primer then clearcoated. I don't get it... I do get what the difference between a survivor and anything else is, though.

I think it started with the repops of western guns. Many guns are offered in "aged" condition. The only thing I like about that is not worrying about the finish!

If I take a gun out and shoot it some, it may not get cleaned. I don't shoot the quantity of ammo that I used to and it's not unusual that an auto gets just a few mags thru it or a revolver a few cylinders. Upon inspection it would be obvious they've been fired, but they aren't "dirty". The gun I am going to strap on shortly has 30 rounds thru it since last cleaning. If that was closer to 100, it would have already been bath time!

Rifles used in the rain get much more daily attention.

Exactly.

When you have noobies who learn inside and who don't learn about brass collection, it can translate to poor etiquette outside.

Maybe I'm off base here but I've seen a similar lack of etiquette from the latest generation of climbers as compared to the learned-on-the-rocks generations of the past.

It's not malice or laziness that drove the behavior but just mild ignorance.

That's the point I was trying to make.

This seems to be absolutely the case, I see many folks learning at indoor ranges and when their done just sweep the brass over the line. It doesn't translate well to the outdoors.

Policing and collecting your own brass is strongly discouraged and can even get you kicked out of some ranges. It also carrys with it a bad stigma, somehow you get looked at like your a scrap metal junkie....jokes on them I have enough casings to keep loading even during this ammo shortage

Speaking only for myself here in regards to forced patina....
It almost always looks wrong or fake.
The best way to get patina or use marks is to use the firearm and let those signs of wear happen naturally.

With that said , when repairing or replacing a part on a antique muzzle loader , I do try to have the finish of the replacement part match the rest of the firearm , so some "aging" may be necessary.
But when building a muzzle loader for someone...I do not do this....it is a new firearm , it should look new.
Andy

In the Music World we call that 'Relicing'.

It is for posers that want to look like they have put tons of time in to look legit.

A small subset of Relic players really do have specific reasons for wanting the look, as certain small specifications are often part of the treatment. And originally Pros had it done to mimic their cherished, collectable guitars that they no longer wanted to subject to the risk of damage or theft on the road.

But to me it looks like pre-faded holey jeans.

That's it! Great analogy. I have one pair of jeans that's faded and has a hole or two that I just can't give up. It's one of my two favorite pair of Levi 501s from the 90's! (wouldn't mind having my hair from the 90's!) It's not that I care about the look so much, but I love the way they fit and can't stand to spend another nickel with Levi Brand...

I remember the first time I saw a pair of new jeans for sale that had been treated in such a way that they looked just like a pair I might have worn while rolling around under a car in the grease spots on the shop floor. And then washed, and all the stains set, so the whole pair of pants has a darker, dirty look. I can kinda understand the business of making artistic cuts in the pants, but these looked like something I would have relegated to " only gonna wear these when I know I'm going to get filthy" pile; I would have been embarrassed to wear them in public.

On guns, I don't really care so much, as long as it functions reliably. I don't always clean stuff as soon as I get home, but it doesn't usually go more than a week before I get to it. Most of my guns will develop holster wear, because I practice using a holster, and other little scuffs and scratches from being carried, handled, used. Old military hardware tends to wear its age and long use like a badge of honor. Trying to duplicate that look in a new gun seems a bit like a wannabee move, a shortcut that has the opposite effect of the one intended. To each, their own, however.

Not by me... :p;):D

I was raised (1950 and on.) to take care of things that you owned and to respect other people and THEIR things too. Respect public property too!

My late husband taught me how to clean my all of my NIB guns.

I was taught to take care of your tools and not just when I built a house with my late husband.

A clean and well kept firearm or ANY TOOL will take care of YOU when you need to use IT for any purpose.

This goes for cars, trucks, sail boats, power boats, maintaining generators, tractors, outside and indoor equipment, etc.

This applies to KNIVES, axes and 'hawks too.

I do NOT understand people who do not take care of their own property or their guns.

A soft and NICE patina on a gun, sterling silver, quality furniture, solid wood floors, etc. is one thing but it is NOT dirt or grime or grease.

Old Lady Cate

Right on cue this arrived today: F692A478-5D90-48E6-8DA2-166117263AE2.jpeg

That's it! Great analogy. I have one pair of jeans that's faded and has a hole or two that I just can't give up. It's one of my two favorite pair of Levi 501s from the 90's! (wouldn't mind having my hair from the 90's!) It's not that I care about the look so much, but I love the way they fit and can't stand to spend another nickel with Levi Brand...
You used to be able to get good money for nearly worn out jeans, depending on where the wear was. And yeah, Levi's quality has gone to crap. Thin material and poor stitching. No longer made in the U.S.

I blame the jeans thing on ZZ Top:
What were we talking about again? :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR