JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The concealable handgun first.A concealed carry license. Some good knives, flashlights, and a collapsible baton. Get a reliable AR 15 with a sling, open sights are fine. If you have to leave or stand watch you will appreciate it. If you want a .22 LR the Smith and Wesson MP15-22 is great for fun and practice. I got one last summer. It runs without fail. An excellent tool to backup your full size AR as it has identical manual of arms. I had a friend suggest an inexpensive handgun like the Makarov since it may be confiscated if it came to be used. I prefer a sidearm that can withstand hard use.You pay more up front but it keeps on ticking and holds its value. If you are self conscious about the AR you can simply break it down to get to your vehicle. PDX is no longer safe. You will need a way to carry your gear. There is lots of info on YouTube. Good luck.

Respectfully ...

No. No. No. Sorry Rudedog. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Today I am telling it like it is. Scrap the firearm battery. You will lose it. All of it will be stolen. Concentrate on only one carry handgun. I am not going to recommend. Talk to some local experienced folks.

If you do not carry it 24/7/365 or have close control of it 24/7/365 you will lose it. End of story. This concentrates your plan. Store the practice and extra carry ammo somewhere else where it will be secure. Only possess carry ammo kept on your person.

That amount may vary according to your personal needs and requirements. Get the CCL permit. Get the pro training. Get more training. I have spent over 2 grand this year alone. More to be spent later. Why? I needed the pro training.

rant complete ... You do not need 65 rounds of 45 Super always carried upon your person. We need to consider the possibility of mass Zombie attacks as low priority. Polseen attacks? Oh yeah! :)

Respectfully ...

No. No. No. Sorry Rudedog. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Today I am telling it like it is. Scrap the firearm battery. You will lose it. All of it will be stolen. Concentrate on only one carry handgun. I am not going to recommend. Talk to some local experienced folks.

If you do not carry it 24/7/365 or have close control of it 24/7/365 you will lose it. End of story. This concentrates your plan. Store the practice and extra carry ammo somewhere else where it will be secure. Only possess carry ammo kept on your person.

That amount may vary according to your personal needs and requirements. Get the CCL permit. Get the pro training. Get more training. I have spent over 2 grand this year alone. More to be spent later. Why? I needed the pro training.

rant complete ... You do not need 65 rounds of 45 Super always carried upon your person. We need to consider the possibility of mass Zombie attacks as low priority. Polseen attacks? Oh yeah! :)

I will have to disagree with this. I feel that there is no substitute for a great carry piece however if things ever did go south a carry piece is no substitute for a long arm such as a shotgun or carbine. Good luck with your choice I will stick with mine.

I would pick a good centerfire semi auto that has a 22 lr conversion kit for a handgun.
A lever action centerfire with a preference toward the Savage for a rifle.

That' all you need.:D:D

+1 to post #47 above. By having several defense guns you can tailor your response to the nature of the threat. Given that 1-shot stops with a sidearm are the exception, multiple assailants call for a carbine with 20-30 rds on tap + more loaded mags. An AR in a rifle caliber is a lot more likely to drop a wigged-out meth head with 1 shot than a defensive caliber pistol, plus it holds lotsa boolits. It might also be a good idea to have an SKS or AK available for dealing with incoming fire from a vehicle. I realize that 7.62x39 isn't exactly the 1st choice for urban festivities, but I live in a semi-rural area (full-on rural means you can shoot a .30/06 in your yard while taking a whizz, semi rural means you can whizz in the yard but not shoot) so the caveats of the urban cesspool are irrelevant for me. Also nobody makes a stink if I want to park an old car in my driveway. For the situation that doesn't justify lethal force I have a cane (and a prescription for it). Check out the cane fighting vids - ouch!

Last Edited:
A good handgun that you shoot well...
Its tough to beat a S&W Model 10 , 15 , 19 , 66 or the newer 586 / 686 series...
Ruger Security / Speed six series , GP100 / SP 101 series of revolvers are fine choices as well.

Semi auto handguns are excellent ..that said I am partial to the 1911 series of pistols...your choice may differ...

A .22 handgun and rifle is fun and handy to have around.

A Carbine of some sort...be it a AR , CZ 527 , Marlin 336 or Winchester 94 works wonders for close range shooting.

A shotgun I prefer the older Wingmaster ...and Mossberg 500 series...but then a Ithaca 37 is sweet too...along with a Winchester model 12...
With practice you can swing and maneuver a "long " 26-28 inch barrel in your home...Not saying that a 18-20 inch barrel , does not make this easier , just saying that you can adapt with practice....

So many options are out there...the best thing to do is find something that works for you and the situations that you find yourself in ....and practice with the gun you have and make it work for you.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads