JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BBDC255B-2BE3-453E-A146-D70441CFA0EB.jpeg
^this should cover all you need

FYI, pistol calibers actually can penetrate further than light weight .223, it has to do with the mass and the velocity.

For example a varmint style bullet in .223 in the 50grain range wouldn't be as much as an overpenetration threat as a 9mm.

That's what I hear as well but also partially because the .223 will start to tumble after it hits drywall from what I've seen and had explained to me.

It also fragments on impact.

Truth,

Yeah, a common misconception is that centerfire pistols penetrate less than .223

Plenty of videos on YouTube to show evidence of this.

It depends entirely on the construction of the round. If you using barrier blind loads like 5.56 mm Federal 62 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bonded JSP (XM556FBIT3) or even M855 don't plan on that gyp stopping anything but if you're spitting Nosler 77gr OTM or Barnes 55gr TSX loads that is a different story.

The moral of the story is choose the proper ammunition for the task at hand.

Some thoughts on "over-penetration".
The Presumptive Hazards of Over-Penetration

As to the OP, a Glock 19 and quality 5.56 AR with an Aimpoint Micro or PRO & Surefire WML

Most of the 5.56 will go through 1/4" steel plate at 25 yards easy. Car doors and ballistic vests don't stop them either. Try that with 9mm. Can you get proper ammo ? Sure my AR has 45 grain HPs that is in the safe by the bed. You would choose proper ammo for your 9 as well to work for the task at hand.

A 30/06 with deer ammo will darn near punch through 1/2 " plate at 30 yards.

Last Edited:
In the city a hand gun and your mouth are your primary defenses. You are always out numbered and everyone knows what you have.

Your mouth (what you say, how you treat people) will save you or get you killed. You may have the best battery for one engagement but if you haven't built a community around you next time they are coming ready.

In a bad neighborhood some houses have bars and some don't. The ones WITH bars are most likely to be attacked because they lock themselves away from the community and the big thought is, F dem people. They ain't us. Of course you still gave your big heat ready to go but thats after everything else failed.

Rural, urban, Mars, whatever, the answer is always lots and lots of everything.

If you are in an urban condo or apt where space is at a minimum, there are safes that double as furniture;)

I know the OP said "not for hunting..."
But it is really tough to beat a .30-30 Carbine for all around short range rifle use.
The cartridge hits plenty hard , easy on recoil , easy to find too...
Plus like it or not looks can play a part in how people perceive you and your gun...A lever gun can be seen as less threatening...
Another choice in the "traditional looking rifle" category is the CZ 527 Carbine in either .556 or 7.62x39mm.

Please note that I am not saying to use either as a apartment defense gun...Just pointing out a rifle for "urban use" in say a civil emergency etc...
Andy

Most of the 5.56 will go through 1/4" steel plate at 25 yards easy. Car doors and ballistic vests don't stop them either. Try that with 9mm.

I don't think it's a question of what it will go thru. It's more about the condition of the round afterwards. Part of the drive to develop new munitions such as .300 blackout and 6.8 spc was the inadequacy of the .556 round for house to house fighting, i.e. its lack of lethality after going thru walls and floors.

Truth,

Yeah, a common misconception is that centerfire pistols penetrate less than .223

Plenty of videos on YouTube to show evidence of this.

I don't watch much You Tube but shoot targets in my backyard. With different types of steel.

Yes many bullets fragment when hitting steel INCLUDING 9MM. But the higher velocity pistol ammo is much harder on steel. I don't dare shot my pistol targets with my AR, it will blow right through them. Or chew them up fast.

A 22lr will fragment when htting steel at closer ranges.

I don't think it's a question of what it will go thru. It's more about the condition of the round afterwards. Part of the drive to develop new munitions such as .300 blackout and 6.8 spc was the inadequacy of the .556 round for house to house fighting, i.e. its lack of lethality after going thru walls and floors.

.300 blackout was designed entirely in response to everyone building AR15's with 9" barrels was my understanding.

.300 blackout was designed entirely in response to everyone building AR15's with 9" barrels was my understanding.
Yes, .300 blackout was also developed for use with shorter barrels, because .556 does not reach the same velocities in carbines as it does in rifles.

A good 9mm pistol
A PCC like the PC9. No need for overpenatration in crowded areas. With a red dot. Easy hits at 50 yards, fast targeting
A good shotgun
And a good AR15 w a 1-6x lighted reticle scope.

Make it to the country.

Already there brother...:cool:

A couple of XDM40's, a 12 ga pump, an AR-15 pistol in 300BLK for HD and a AR-15 in 5.56 for hilltop duties.;)

The .300 Blackout seems like a good idea too me. Doesn't it use the same mag and bolt as well ? I use the 5.56 for cost savings and don't doubt it's stopping power like many. I've always believed in shot placement first. And the AR is so controllable that quick follow-up shots are easy.

The .300 Blackout seems like a good idea too me. Doesn't it use the same mag and bolt as well ? I use the 5.56 for cost savings and don't doubt it's stopping power like many. I've always believed in shot placement first. And the AR is so controllable that quick follow-up shots are easy.

Yes, just a barrel change and tuning required. The .300BLK was created specifically function out of a 9" barrel with sub-sonic ammo for suppressor use. However, the 5.56 takes over at longer distances with regard to performance.

We all know of the age old debate of what makes the standard well-rounded firearm battery. This usually includes:
22lr rifle
However, for someone that lives in the city (maybe in a condo in downtown Portland) and doesn't hunt, this doesn't seem like it would be the best firearms battery. ...?

I think a .22 is worth having. It is easy to hit what you are aiming at even at a decent distance, the rifle can be pretty light and handy (very compact if a take down rifle), it doesn't make a lot of noise/flash, and 500 rounds weighs comparatively little/fits in small space. Obviously shot placement is more important in a .22 than anything larger, but it is also easier to control.

I should have had a .22lr on my list. Like others have said an inexpensive way to keep up your skills. Especially with a pistol. And a 10/22 , takedown model for me. Great survival tool also. Imo

Do you prefer a handgun or a long gun for home defense?

In either case, for life in a city apartment or condo, I would start with a handgun that is as big as I can conceal easily. Lots of home or self defense situations start off looking innocent, where toting a visible gun just isn't appropriate. If you prefer handguns for home defense, a second, larger handgun should be the second gun in the arsenal for home defense. If you carry concealed much, a smaller handgun that is easier to carry might be a good third gun. So a completely adequate arsenal would really only require one gun, expandable to three depending on interest, finances, and time available for practice. (If practice time is limited I would just get one gun and focus on getting very good with it.)

If long guns are your preference for home defense, I'd say gun number one still needs to be a handgun you can conceal for all those situations that look innocent but might not be, where a visible gun just would not be appropriate. Second gun would be a shotgun with a 16 1/2 inch barrel. And that's really all you need.

Of course, you might want other guns just for recreation. And for shtf scenarios if you envision bugging out. Most of the guns in the classical arsenal assume you are a country person who hunts deer, small game, and maybe birds, and/or need to protect livestock and crops from predators. If you aren't, you don't.

What if you are enchanted by a gun you have no possible use for? If you have the money, go ahead and get it. Who needs excuses? Guns are fun. If significant other doesn't quite understand, point out how much healthier and more affordable your interest in guns is to your developing an interest in smoking, drinking, gambling, or illegal drugs.

You need one or more handguns for each gun-competent adult in the household. Handguns are like underwear. They are very personal, and fit matters. Significant others should have their own and keep their hands off yours.

Last Edited:
For in town use I'd have a carry handgun that stays on my person, and a 12 or 20 gauge equipped with a light and loaded with with no. 1 buck; at close range, nothing beats a shotgun. After that either an AR or a PCC, and you have to have a 22lr for cheap training and introducing new shooters.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top