JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My home defense firearm is a Kel-tec sub 2000 in .40. Federal 180 gr HP remain sub-sonic (marginally) in the 16" barrel. At the range, it's not quite hearing safe, but the rapport is much less that most other solutions. I figure losing all my hearing after the first discharge in my living room is not to my advantage. A better solution would be a can, but the legal implications could be ugly.
Opinions?

I don't see anything not legal in that scenario.

My home defense firearm is a Kel-tec sub 2000 in .40. Federal 180 gr HP remain sub-sonic (marginally) in the 16" barrel. At the range, it's not quite hearing safe, but the rapport is much less that most other solutions. I figure losing all my hearing after the first discharge in my living room is not to my advantage. A better solution would be a can, but the legal implications could be ugly.
Opinions?

I have thought about hearing loss.p also. But losing some hearing ls better than life loss. And a PCC is quieter than a short revolver or pistol. I'm still hopeful cans will be legel someday. Wishful thinking .

Were I in this position, I would want a blast-shield around my Home D longarm's muzzle--something like a Fortis Control Shield, Indian Creek BFD, etc. that channels the muzzle blast straight ahead downrange rather than lateral. Bonus, Gary at ICD is very good on customer support after sale. :)

In a way this question is much like, "What's the best chainsaw to use in a canoe?"

The premise is that only guns are to be considered to deal with various urban scenarios, and my position is that a well-rounded toolbox will be comprised of a force continuum that includes options other than strictly lethal force.

Take a page from the police toolbelt and stock some of these: a Mk-4 or Mk-9 can of OC/CS (a delightful mixture of pepper spray and CS teargas.), a real Taser, maybe an X-26 or C-26 with the battery that holds a spare cartridge, (not the phony-azz 'stun gun' that will just anger the intruder), and if physical contact is your preference, a short, kid's aluminum baseball bat.

The fact is that most conflicts do not rise to the level of justifying lethal force, so if that's all you have as an option you're looking at the possibility of justifying the unjustifiable. Don't do it!

Give yourself some options to meet the "only the degree of force reasonable and necessary to overcome the threat" standard, and save yourself a lot of criminal defense attorney billable hours, which stack up pretty quick at $350 per hour. :cool:

latest-1.jpg terminator_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqRnECISyb8gVvBrhJ2UwE8KW0-DPWq8x8IQytlg7pAmE.jpg

Do you prefer a handgun or a long gun for home defense?
Why not have both (or several of each) + a shottie or 2? Then you can choose the right tool for the job at hand.

Hearing damage - have a set of mouse ears with the gun next to the bed.

In a way this question is much like, "What's the best chainsaw to use in a canoe?"

The premise is that only guns are to be considered to deal with various urban scenarios, and my position is that a well-rounded toolbox will be comprised of a force continuum that includes options other than strictly lethal force.

Take a page from the police toolbelt and stock some of these: a Mk-4 or Mk-9 can of OC/CS (a delightful mixture of pepper spray and CS teargas.), a real Taser, maybe an X-26 or C-26 with the battery that holds a spare cartridge, (not the phony-azz 'stun gun' that will just anger the intruder), and if physical contact is your preference, a short, kid's aluminum baseball bat.

The fact is that most conflicts do not rise to the level of justifying lethal force, so if that's all you have as an option you're looking at the possibility of justifying the unjustifiable. Don't do it!

Give yourself some options to meet the "only the degree of force reasonable and necessary to overcome the threat" standard, and save yourself a lot of criminal defense attorney billable hours, which stack up pretty quick at $350 per hour. :cool:
When someone has broken in to my house when I am in it, I'm going to aim a gun at them, not tear gas, a baseball bat, or a taser. They can withdraw and I will let them go. Most self defense using guns, that is what happens.

Tear gas and a bat are contact or near contact weapons. If the bad guy has a gun, seems to me deploying tear gas or a bat means you're going to get shot, even if you've sprayed or hit him. And according to another thread, tasers don't work well at seven feet or less, and even at the optimal range of 7 to 25 feet only work about half the time. I don't like those odds. It's better as a weapon for a cop with partners with guns aimed at the bad guy than as the first weapon to reach for in a home invasion. If bad guy has a gun and you aim a taser at him and taser fails, you'll probably get shot, or he will be on you with whatever other weapons he has.

I think the gun is the best weapon for deescalating things so that, preferably, no one is hurt. It's also, I think, the best weapon for assuring that if someone has to be killed or hurt, it will be the bad guy, not me.

I do not favor a shotgun for home defense, unless you are using slugs. No matter your choice you will be needing to identify a threat (Not by name, but enough to know it is not friends or family) and you will need to carefully aim.

I think in the confines of a home a handgun is more practical than a shotgun,it leaves your other hand free and it can't be easily taken out of your hands. Disarming someone who has a longun at point blank range is actually pretty easy to do with the right technique. Unless you have to retreat to your room I think for home defense a handgun is better unless you live in a huge house with thick walls,not to mention buckshot and other shotgun shells actually penetrates more than most people realize ,don't take my word for it though look at some drywall penetration tests.

Have you seen these guys that run bayonets in their short shoguns ? Or a single point sling on their SBRs ? If you let the bad guy get that close you have done something wrong. You better hope he didn't grab a kitchen knife on the way or your already a gonner that close. Is it easy to disarm a guy with a shotgun that has a bayonet on it ? Like Stomper ? Lol

I do not favor a shotgun for home defense, unless you are using slugs. No matter your choice you will be needing to identify a threat (Not by name, but enough to know it is not friends or family) and you will need to carefully aim.
At typical home distances, a shotgun with buckshot only spreads to about the size of a softball.

We all know of the age old debate of what makes the standard well-rounded firearm battery. This usually includes:
22lr rifle
Handgun of some kind
Shotgun
Center-fire rifle

However, for someone that lives in the city (maybe in a condo in downtown Portland) and doesn't hunt, this doesn't seem like it would be the best firearms battery.

What would you recommend as a firearms battery for our inner city dwelling NWFA members?
I'd stick with a "home defense" shotgun and an handgun that you can use as an EDC.
No need for a rifle in the city. Don't need that kind of range.
The good ol' Trench Gun is really in its element in the confines of your condo.
I see the handgun as an adjunct to "self defense", such as marital arts. Something to give you some time to put yourself in a safer place, or as a means to give you the time to go get the shotgun.
Maybe a Mossy or a Stoeger for the shotgun and some make of pocket 9mm S-A.

Dean

Last Edited:
Whatever you get, practice, practice, practice.
I didn't see any mention of blades.
+1 to @Doc In UPlace 's suggestion of less-than-lethal hardware.
I have a battle axe, because, lets be real, what is scarier, a guy with a gun, or a screaming hairy fat man in his underwear chasing you with a battle axe and a pistol?

Don't think I am joking either. I really do have a few bladed weapons stashed around including battle axe, sword and spear.

Last Edited:
Respectfully ...

"LIVING IN A CONDO IN DOWNTOWN PORTLAND OREGON USA ???" I would move. Statistically speaking you will quickly or eventually be broken into. Your downtown condo. Fact of life. Do not keep a firearm in your car. Strongly consider only one firearm carried on your person.

The rest of the firearms will be stolen. Yep.

Get an Oregon Carry permit. Most most strongly consider the required training to spin up to adequate level. Consider the cost and effort to spin up to very competent handgun carry. You need o be able to command and control only one firearm ... the one you control and carry 24/7/365. Yikes!

This Forum gliched major league just now. POP! 8:48 PM. Sat. 9 June, 2018. Lost a lot of stuff.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads