JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We all know of the age old debate of what makes the standard well-rounded firearm battery. This usually includes:
22lr rifle
Handgun of some kind
Shotgun
Center-fire rifle

However, for someone that lives in the city (maybe in a condo in downtown Portland) and doesn't hunt, this doesn't seem like it would be the best firearms battery.

What would you recommend as a firearms battery for our inner city dwelling NWFA members?

To me I would think the following
Full size pistol
Small concealed carry pistol
A tactical 12 gauge pump with extended tube
A carbine in 223 like an ar15.
Alot of ammo for the above.

To me I would think the following
Full size pistol
Small concealed carry pistol
A tactical 12 gauge pump with extended tube
A carbine in 223 like an ar15.
Alot of ammo for the above.

Pretty much sums it up. I might even ditch the two pistol setup for a single mid-size or compact to keep on me all of the time. Something like a G19, M&P 2.0 Compact, HK VP9SK, CZP10c, etc.

I would also contemplate a 20 ga if someone in the home cant run a 12 ga effectively. I'd have my AR in a scabbard equipped pack with ammo and essentials. Not likely going to need the rifle with the shotgun and pistol for home defense. But, if you need it, I'd want a lot of it.

9mm Glock 23 or Springfield XD for packing
back-up revolver in .38 special (funds permitting)
AR or AK pistol for home defense
.22 magnum bolt action rifle w/ scope (if bug out a possibility)

upload_2018-5-26_21-24-6.jpeg

This is hugely subjective...

.22lr pistol and rifle for cheap fun and training people of any age to shoot

Pump shotgun 12 or 20ga w/18"&28" barrels

AR-15

Lever or bolt gun in hunting caliber 30-30 to 30-06

G19 9mm (or similar)

Revolver, 6" for woods or targets or 2" snubby for ccw

Desert Eagle .50 cal

And you can add to that list all day:rolleyes:

A good 9mm pistol
A PCC like the PC9. No need for overpenatration in crowded areas. With a red dot. Easy hits at 50 yards, fast targeting
A good shotgun
And a good AR15 w a 1-6x lighted reticle scope.

Make it to the country.

Personally I have shot my 'home defense shotgun' a whopping handful of times and never needed to in self defense.

So for me personally it would go in the order of this for purchases.

Carry firearm that I could carry regularly. If I'm not carrying on a regular basis or I didn't wish to carry on a regular basis than it would be a full size pistol with a light to use as a 'nightsand' Gun.

After that it would an AR because you can enjoy shooting it a lot more in my opinion than a HD shotgun.

.223 AR with Red dot or primary arms variable optic 1x6 or 1x8 (my preference) depending on what distances you want to shoot practically at will change your preference.

AR from PSA
I recommend the Sig Romeo 5 that takes a aaa battery, they are solid and got the OPMOD model from Opticsplanet for around $150 after coupons from optics planet, they have had good sales on them. Cost will be easily under $1000 including sight, sling, mags, ammo and rifle if you do the sales right.

Then I would buy a .22 rifle and pistol before a shotgun because you can practice shooting very cheap and improve your skills substantially by getting more trigger time on the cheap with the .22. Semi auto .22, rifle and pistol. .22lr hit $20 a brick recently. If you stock up on the sales in those time periods you could have a lot of training practice ammo for not a lot of money.

Then, after all that, if you wanted a shotgun to sit at your house and rarely if ever see use. I would buy the shotgun.

Last Edited:
A good 9mm pistol
A PCC like the PC9. No need for overpenatration in crowded areas. With a red dot. Easy hits at 50 yards, fast targeting
A good shotgun
And a good AR15 w a 1-6x lighted reticle scope.

Make it to the country.

FYI, pistol calibers actually can penetrate further than light weight .223, it has to do with the mass and the velocity.

For example a varmint style bullet in .223 in the 50grain range wouldn't be as much as an overpenetration threat as a 9mm.

FYI, pistol calibers actually can penetrate further than light weight .223, it has to do with the mass and the velocity.

For example a varmint style bullet in .223 in the 50grain range wouldn't be as much as an overpenetration threat as a 9mm.

That's what I hear as well but also partially because the .223 will start to tumble after it hits drywall from what I've seen and had explained to me.

Until you find a place to shoot clays:rolleyes: then you can go thru a few hundred rounds in an afternoon with a big stupid grin on your face for $40-$60 and have the time of your life;)

I've got a dedicated trap / clay gun. It's fun, I'm referring to my 20 inch barrel 870 7+1 improved cylinder choke with Magpul furniture and light. It looks cool, but if we're talking about order of purchases, the .22lr training pistol and rifle should come first because 99.99% of gun owners would substantially improve their skills by practicing more than compared to buying more guns/gear.

my pcc is my best choice for fast follow up shots, not horrendous overpenetration and federal HST is pretty impressive IMO. My CX4 is extremely short feeling which handles well in narrow, tight spaces. The rate at which 9mm and 45 lose speed is comforting to me. The bullet drop would be very helpful in missing unintended targets.

I also would go for an ar near dead last in my HD scenario. It just does not fit in with a scenario I can imagine. Then again, even as a suburban dweller, I have the luxury of choice.

What ever you shoot most accurately and lots of ammo for practice.
A lot of people recommend shotguns in 12 guage and AR15's in .223 but one size does not fit all.
I had a Ruger P944 in .40(fullsize handgun,Da/Sa, 34oz unloaded) it was the worst handgun I've ever owned,I couldn't hit a postit note sized target at 10 yards in single action,for me that is unacceptable accuracy. Reliability was great but doesn't really matter if you can't hit the target. Ironically I had a Springfield XD40SC(sub-compact)that was pretty accurate, significantly more than the P944(maybe it was a lemon?).

I don't think multiple guns are necessarily a need, one good gun is better than 5 guns of questionable quality in my opinion.
My set up:
Fullsize revolver in magnum caliber
Easily concealed revolver in .38
Lightweight rifle in caliber that works decent for hunting and could double for ranged engagements
Ammo for each,but not enough to weigh me down if SHTF.
Emergency food supply that should last a while.
All fits in a go bag.

That's all I need anything else is just a want and probably overthinking it in my opinion, your experience may very,this is what works for me.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews