JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regardless of what any manufacturer says, it all comes down to whether or not you would like to argue the specifics of the law in a court room. That being said, the whole court room fiasco can be avoided altogether by staying out of trouble, and being polite to cops. Cops are regular people too, even if some of them are on power-trips, and will generally respond to courtesy and politeness the same way anyone else would. Go ahead and carry your butterfly knife with you, just don't carry it if you think you may be stopped and searched by a police officer. You get the idea. I bought one for a friend awhile back, and as far as I know, she hasn't gotten into any trouble for carrying it about.

Wholesale sports has balisongs for sale in Vancouver. Was wondering about that since I knew they were illegal. That being said there is a 9051 in my future and according to a LEO friend I'll never have a problem with it as long as I'm not being a DB.

Also WA has a new law attached to the suppressor bill regarding knife length

Also WA has a new law attached to the suppressor bill regarding knife length

I suppose that's the 3½" length one? If so almost knife I own is illegal!! Oops, my latest Benchmade is only 3¼", but my others are longer

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

Knives (and other useful tools) as "Dangerous Weapons": The law needs to be challenged on constitutional grounds.

As a minimum, "Dangerous Weapons" in the RCW needs moved to fall under state preemption.

As I remember, from reading the RCA section, there is NO exemption for police or military as there is for firearms. And your CPL doesn't apply to the best backup for your carry piece: A 4 1/2 inch boot knife. Stupid, what?

All because Hollywood, in the '50s, glamorized young thugs who had a liking for switch-blade knives.

Waaayyyy past time to beat up our legislators on this one! Gun Control doesn't slow down "Gun Violence"; and neither does "Knife Control" impact "Knife Violence".

>>> I looked it up: No blade-length provision in the new suppressor law - and a LEO MAY carry a "spring blade knife" while on duty. Basically, no provision for anyone but an "Only One" to carry anything but a switchblade legally concealed.

"Dirks and daggers" may not be carried in a "furtive manner".

I live in Clark County, and have seen that several municipalities there have differing blade-length ordinances. Again, stupid.

One more thing: Under the different provisions of RCW, none may carry a "dangerous weapon", but it's legal to use one to defend yourself against a felony attack (if you had it to use). :-O

Last Edited:
Looks like a no no to me.

RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons — Penalty — Exemption for law enforcement officers.

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

Kimber Custom answered the question in his post.

A Balisong is opened by "ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement".

Every court that has ever ruled on them has ruled this way. Spyderco was fined huge $ for importing balisong 'parts' for their Spyderfly Balisong knife. Yes, not an assembled knife, just the handles. They were fined for both importing and for interstate commerce violations. Same rules that applies to switchblades.

I collect auto and balisong knives. I don't carry either for EDC.

There are many things sold that are illegal to use but not illegal to own. Many after market auto parts are illegal. Or silencers might be a better example to this forum.

The statute reads: any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

force is the key word here (IMO). If you push a button or flip the wrist to open the blade it can fall under this heading.

Ultimatly it is up to the LEO's understanding of the statute followed by the DA's willingness to follow through and how much case law there is to back the statute up. If this is of deep concern to you I would put a call into a criminal defense attorney or the DA office (don't bother calling the PD; they will tell you it's against the law). Specifically ask if there is case law that classifies a butterfly knife as a dangerous weapon.

This is really why it's so important to pass the attitude test when working with LEO's. They have a lot of leeway on what to charge you with, write a ticket for or simply give you a warning.

If you run from the LEO, lie and spit on them my guess is a pair of toenail clippers in your pocket is going to rack up a weapons charge.

Be respectful and honest when asked (no need to volunteer this tid bit of information) and chances are you'll be told it's a violation and leave it home next time.

Hope that helps.

KC

Actually this is pretty easy to interpret: if you can hold the knife and it opens by itself, without you exerting any force yourself, it is opened by the force of gravity.

As far as "...by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement...", as someone else said, that means if you can open it by flicking it without activating the blade with something like a thumb or finger stud. If the blade opening requires you to do something other than just flipping the knife around by the handle, then you're good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top