JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have always loved Balisong/Butterfly knives and got my first one in the early 90's before YouTube was a thing. I figured out the basics just by constantly playing with it.

I haven't owned one in quite some time and now there is YouTube so I've seen some fairly complex flipping and would like to try my hand at it (pun intended).

I added a Kershaw Lucha to my wish list for Christmas to add some variety and my wife ended up ordering one for me. I love the feel and weight of it as well as the aesthetics but other then a few beginner open and closes I am just not willing to try the more complex stuff - it came razor sharp and I'm not sure I would just get away with a little cut should I mess up.

Side note - I can't believe they are on the list of collect but not legal to carry bs, rant over lol.

So to the question, now that I have looked at trainers I feel like I've gone down a rabbit hole. They are as cheap as $8 on Amazon and go up to (imo) exorbitant prices. Kershaw makes a Lucha trainer (which I realize might be perfect) but I just can't justify paying $110+ for a trainer when the real deal wasn't hardly much more then that.

I am smart enough to know the cheapest ones out there are most likely not going to last but I would like a nice quality to price ratio for something that is basically a fidget toy.

I have seen companies promoting bearing hinges to having replacement screws and bushings to basic you can't adjust anything and when it breaks it breaks.

I'd like something as close the the Kershaw Lucha with about 5.8oz with a 4" blade (dull obviously) and 9" long open but not anywhere near the $100 mark

Color makes little difference to me but stainless would be my preference over the rubber coated or polymer ones.

Heck even if you just have some random advice that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

I have always loved Balisong/Butterfly knives and got my first one in the early 90's before YouTube was a thing. I figured out the basics just by constantly playing with it.

I haven't owned one in quite some time and now there is YouTube so I've seen some fairly complex flipping and would like to try my hand at it (pun intended).

I added a Kershaw Lucha to my wish list for Christmas to add some variety and my wife ended up ordering one for me. I love the feel and weight of it as well as the aesthetics but other then a few beginner open and closes I am just not willing to try the more complex stuff - it came razor sharp and I'm not sure I would just get away with a little cut should I mess up.

Side note - I can't believe they are on the list of collect but not legal to carry bs, rant over lol.

So to the question, now that I have looked at trainers I feel like I've gone down a rabbit hole. They are as cheap as $8 on Amazon and go up to (imo) exorbitant prices. Kershaw makes a Lucha trainer (which I realize might be perfect) but I just can't justify paying $110+ for a trainer when the real deal wasn't hardly much more then that.

I am smart enough to know the cheapest ones out there are most likely not going to last but I would like a nice quality to price ratio for something that is basically a fidget toy.

I have seen companies promoting bearing hinges to having replacement screws and bushings to basic you can't adjust anything and when it breaks it breaks.

I'd like something as close the the Kershaw Lucha with about 5.8oz with a 4" blade (dull obviously) and 9" long open but not anywhere near the $100 mark

Color makes little difference to me but stainless would be my preference over the rubber coated or polymer ones.

Heck even if you just have some random advice that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Go to the auto parts store or home depot or bimart and get a can of plasti dip and voila your butterfly isnt so sharp anymore. when you get better take the training wheels off.

Go to the auto parts store or home depot or bimart and get a can of plasti dip and voila your butterfly isnt so sharp anymore. when you get better take the training wheels off.
Appreciate thinking outside the box!

My concern would be that it is a fairly tight tolerance knife when closed and I'm not sure adding thicknesses to the blade would give it the room it needs to close (it's sharp and the point is dagger like)

Another thought that comes to mind is that these knives (well the better ones) are made with a very specific balance point and idk if adding a coating over the blade would offset that balance point or not?…

Plus it looks real purdy in my display case so I'd like to keep it on there and have one I can keep in the living room or whatnot.

Oh and last thought, being something to learn new tricks on, even with my excellent dexterity, it's bound to get dropped numerous times and I don't want a mint condition knife beat all to hell during the learning process.

Also they do make a liquid electrical tape, I use it when I wire street rods. I think I found it at bimart comes in a small can similar to Hi Tack, there are several brands out there.

1672987802966.png

Back in the 80s, we would just use masking tape on the edge. It was enough to dull the edge but not add too much weight.

I really like the Kershaw Balisongs. I went ahead and bought two trainers just because.

I never got into that whole throwing it out of your hand because my Dad told me that's not how you use it in a fight.

Squid Industries look to be quite nice. Have had my eye on them for a bit but the model I'd spend for seems to be out of stock every time I pop in.

This may or may not be of any help, but I just bought a decent looking one from a gas station and ground off the edge. I commend anyone who can do super fancy tricks with these, but I think it's a pretty crazy fidget spinner.

I still think it's funny they are mostly illegal in most places. I don't think that matters for crime as much as it likely prevented folks from the ER from cutting their hands playing with one.

. I don't think that matters for crime as much as it likely prevented folks from the ER from cutting their hands playing with one.
That's my understanding as to why they became illegal, to many people cutting fingers - the laws for the stupidest of us affect everyone else. I can deploy my assisted opener faster then a butterfly and even a lot of automatics.

Anyway, not a bad idea. I may just start with one of the cheapest ones on Amazon and work up if/as needed. Their most popular one is $16.

I was just hoping someone might have one they would recommend for a decent price.

Thanks for all of the comments y'all!

That's my understanding as to why they became illegal, to many people cutting fingers - the laws for the stupidest of us affect everyone else. I can deploy my assisted opener faster then a butterfly and even a lot of automatics.

Anyway, not a bad idea. I may just start with one of the cheapest ones on Amazon and work up if/as needed. Their most popular one is $16.

I was just hoping someone might have one they would recommend for a decent price.

Good plan cuz I think it literally makes no difference which one you use as long as it's not completely out of balance or something. The function is the same for all (including the pen ha ha!). I think wish sells fake benchmade ones for next to nothing. Side note, beware buying any benchmade knives second hand as some of the fakes are indistinguishable to the real thing.

I would bet my best bottle of bourbon that Hollywood using such knives for outlaws and ruffians is what got them associated with the scoundrels of society and which led to their ban being enshrined in law. After all, a high class gentleman like yourself would have no use for such a despicable thing now would you?

See also: suppressors.

RIP lawn darts.

Back when I was into the martial arts thing, we were trained with Bear & Son trainer balisongs.

At least until our Sensei got bored, and just gave us the real thing, telling us; "You'll know you did it wrong when blood drips from your fingers".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top