JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess I am not hip with the lingo about butterfly/balisong/flip knives. :) Are they legal to own or carry with a pocket clip?

I don't think they are legal to carry in WA, might be wrong. I've never seen a clip on them either. Who makes the one you have? I've owned and used a variety of them and none of them had a clip, they are usually carried in a belt "holster" for easy access. Illegal due to ability to open with one hand. I know Kershaws and some of the others with the spring assist are able to do that, but they are legal, go figure. My $.02

I currently don't own one but I would like to purchase if legal. I am interested in a Benchmade model 51 and it does have a pocket clip for carry. If it is illegal because it could be opened wih one hand, that makes absolutely no sense. As you mentioned there are plenty of knives that can be opened with the flick of the wrist or with an assist. Personally, I think it would be slower to pen than my flipper from Benchmade. Here is the link to the bali-song. I like the looks except for the blue liners.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/51

Thank you for the link. So my folding knife that is more than 3.5" is legal but a butterfly knife >3.5" is not legal. That makes no sense to me. I guess I will have to call the Clark County Sheriff's Department. Thank you for your help!

Looks like a no no to me.

RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons — Penalty — Exemption for law enforcement officers.

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

Still confused!:huh: My Benchmade flipper opens by outward movement or flick of the wrist, but is sold in every store. Is that illegal? It is not an automatic knife, but the way I read the law, folders fall under the listing.

Still confused!:huh: My Benchmade flipper opens by outward movement or flick of the wrist, but is sold in every store. Is that illegal? It is not an automatic knife, but the way I read the law, folders fall under the listing.

There are many things sold that are illegal to use but not illegal to own. Many after market auto parts are illegal. Or silencers might be a better example to this forum.

The statute reads: any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

force is the key word here (IMO). If you push a button or flip the wrist to open the blade it can fall under this heading.

Ultimatly it is up to the LEO's understanding of the statute followed by the DA's willingness to follow through and how much case law there is to back the statute up. If this is of deep concern to you I would put a call into a criminal defense attorney or the DA office (don't bother calling the PD; they will tell you it's against the law). Specifically ask if there is case law that classifies a butterfly knife as a dangerous weapon.

This is really why it's so important to pass the attitude test when working with LEO's. They have a lot of leeway on what to charge you with, write a ticket for or simply give you a warning.

If you run from the LEO, lie and spit on them my guess is a pair of toenail clippers in your pocket is going to rack up a weapons charge.

Be respectful and honest when asked (no need to volunteer this tid bit of information) and chances are you'll be told it's a violation and leave it home next time.

Hope that helps.

KC

Great, thank you. I spoke with a Clark County Sheriffs Deputy today, and he said it was illegal to carry even with a belt clip, as it was considered to be a dangerous weapon.

Great, thank you. I spoke with a Clark County Sheriffs Deputy today, and he said it was illegal to carry even with a belt clip, as it was considered to be a dangerous weapon.

Glad you got the answer to your question.

They are legal in OR with a clip, in a belt holster or just sticking out of your pocket. It's when they are concealed that they become illegal.

Benchmade, they said that as long as the knife has a thumb stud to open the blade it was NOT an automatic knife. I even sent them the WA law as was quoted earlier. All my Benchmade knives easily open with a flip of the wrist or using the thumb stud. Benchmade said they were legal under Federal law but I'm still not convinced they're legal under WA law.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR