JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I visited Benchmade yesterday to drop of a knife for a spa treatment, and took along a balisong I've had in my drawer for over 10 years. It didn't have a model number on it and I had no idea what it was other than a Benchmade.

The folks in warranty repair confirmed it is a Benchmade model 42 with a t-latch (and not a counterfeit). They had to look up when this model/configuration was last made, which was 2001. I was also told that my knife was in great condition and was a collectors piece - perhaps worth up to $500 or more.

I can't even remember where I bought it - I think at a gun show in Seattle. I've got the knife and the pouch, but no box. I've never sharpened it and it appears to have the factory edge. I did invest maybe a whole 20 or 30 minutes trying to learn to flip it (over carpet).

I've attached some photos showing minor scratches, scuffs and the things Benchmade mentioned they looked at to confirm it's authenticity. Unfortunately the scratches on the end of the knife and t-latch are more noticeable in real life that I could capture with my camera. The rest of the scratches and scuffs have to be seen under bright sunlight to be noticeable.

What do you think is this knife's value?

IMG_6113.JPG
IMG_6119.JPG
IMG_6121.JPG
IMG_6126.JPG
IMG_6130.JPG
IMG_6134.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Benchmade people are very proud of their products. I know cause I worked there for 5 years. I dont think you could get quite 500 for it but still worth more than it was new being its a t latch and not the newer spring latch. Good news is the handles are titainium and the scratches and scuffs are easily removed on a belt sander with a fairly fine grit. This is how they are finished at the factory. The blade scuffs might be tougher because they are basically flat ground bevel ground then put in a vibe bowl type setup with ceramic rise media and compound for the final finish. I say put it back in the safe and hold onto it for another 10 years then sell it. I bet you would love the spare Damascus blade i have for that.

That feeling of pride did come through when I was there - and rightly so, they make great products.

After some subsequent research, it does seem that the knife isn't probably worth quite $500. I've sent a query to Blade HQ and am waiting for them to come back.

They bought an old NIB Spyderfly balisong from me a couple months ago that they sold for $300. That was snapped up within a few hours, so they might have priced that one a little low.

Thanks for mentioning your extra blade, I love damascus. However, I'd rather trade or sell for a knife that I would enjoy owning. With me, balisongs are cool but seem to get relegated to the back of the drawer pretty quickly.

Actually, I would trade this BM42 for a Kershaw Tilt, if anyone's interested.

Oops, can I say that in this forum? Let me know and I'll delete if needed...

Very nice knife. I had the same model/config BM42 with T latch back in the early 2000s. The quality, fit and finish were superb. Regretfully, I ended up selling it when I was in a tight spot not too long after I bought it. I should've held out and lived off of ramen for a few months just so I could keep it ;).

Yes, I'm hearing that the knife NIB might go for $500, but not one that's in good condition. I'm guessing that somewhere between $350 and $400 is the current value.

Twodogs, are you jonesing for another BM42?

I got 300 for my 42s titanium handle 154CM blade, from a fellow in Florida and armslist☺

I never used it, she was to Purdy. I have sellers remorse but she is at a good home now. When the movie KICK AS$ came out they were going for 500☺ I had an original in 1996 I got when visiting portland when I lived in cali. Man that was cool to bring home☺But I left it on the headboard on a girls bed and never went back I should have given her a last ride and grabbed my precious darnit.

IMAG0369_1.jpg

Last Edited:
I got 300 for my 42s titanium handle 154CM blade, from a fellow in Florida and armslist☺

I never used it, she was to Purdy. I have sellers remorse but she is at a good home now. When the movie KICK AS$ came out they were going for 500☺ I had an original in 1996 I got when visiting portland when I lived in cali. Man that was cool to bring home☺But I left it on the headboard on a girls bed and never went back I should have given her a last ride and grabbed my precious darnit.
What a great story! Yes, you should have gotten that last ride and the knife!

I saw one go for $375 about a month ago. Oh well. I'm not in any hurry.

E="phydeaux, post: 1103553, member: 30536"]I visited Benchmade yesterday to drop of a knife for a spa treatment, and took along a balisong I've had in my drawer for over 10 years. It didn't have a model number on it and I had no idea what it was other than a Benchmade.

The folks in warranty repair confirmed it is a Benchmade model 42 with a t-latch (and not a counterfeit). They had to look up when this model/configuration was last made, which was 2001. I was also told that my knife was in great condition and was a collectors piece - perhaps worth up to $500 or more.

I can't even remember where I bought it - I think at a gun show in Seattle. I've got the knife and the pouch, but no box. I've never sharpened it and it appears to have the factory edge. I did invest maybe a whole 20 or 30 minutes trying to learn to flip it (over carpet).

I've attached some photos showing minor scratches, scuffs and the things Benchmade mentioned they looked at to confirm it's authenticity. Unfortunately the scratches on the end of the knife and t-latch are more noticeable in real life that I could capture with my camera. The rest of the scratches and scuffs have to be seen under bright sunlight to be noticeable.

Would you take 200 for it?

E="phydeaux, post: 1103553, member: 30536"]I visited Benchmade yesterday to drop of a knife for a spa treatment, and took along a balisong I've had in my drawer for over 10 years. It didn't have a model number on it and I had no idea what it was other than a Benchmade.

Would you take 200 for it?

The BM 42 has been sold, for $400, several months ago...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top