JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know when you buy a handgun in WA the sheriffs office keeps a record of what you bought which I think is crazy. If you buy a handgun online does the FFL have to run the same background check with the info going through the sheriff, or can they do just a regular NICS check?

I'd like to get a new handgun but I don't feel that my local law enforcement needs to have a record of what I bought. Same question for gun shows too. If you buy from a dealer at a gun show do they have to run the info through the sheriffs?

Ok thanks, I wasnt sure what exactly the law was. Its so stupid if you can buy a longun through the regular background check that they make you do a different one for handguns.
Oh well I guess I could be living in California or Chicago or something.

Several years back, I lost a handgun. I reported it to the sheriff's office and Vancouver PD. The PD asked which one it was, and I didn't remember the SN till he read of all the SRs of Kel-Tecs I had bought from day 1. I had selected the correct SN of a P11. It shows that they have every one of your handguns on record. That is why I quit buying from dealers. :(

Washington law: every sale/transfer of ANY firearm through a FFL dealer goes through the NICS background check with FBI, their record is supposed to be destroyed within 48 hours, except in some "denied" cases, where it can be kept for further study. FFL keeps the yellow copy in his file, and enters the sale in his register, which he has to keep 20 years.....

when its a handgun, there is the additional white form, three copies. First copy stays with the FFL Dealer,. Second goes to local law enforcement head--- chief of police if in a city, county sheriff if unincorporated. They keep, forever, I guess. Third copy goes into a permanent file with the state Department of LIcensing. None of these are supposed to be entered into any kind of searchable database or master list format. They ARE kept under your name.....
SO--- get in deep trouble with the law, they look up your file, and have a list of all the guns you've bought whilst in that county. (of course, who knows which or how many you have since sold, lost, given to your uncle's second wife, or had destroyed in a boating accident on the Sound. Handy, as someone said, for when one of yours is stolen..... they've got the list.

Washington residents buying long guns in Oregon (legal if from an FFL Dealer) will have no record in Washington, as the selling dealer will have that in HIS record book somewhere in Oregon. Of course, ALL FFL transactions go through the OSP down there, and they do keep a long-term or permanent record. Somehow I don't care if OSP know I bought a certain long gun from WalMart four years ago.....

As mentioned, private sales are really the way to go here.... as there is no official record with any government entity.

So far, our monkeys in the marble zoo have been unsuccessful in mandating any sort of searchable database derived from these sales records. Thus, if they are looking for a certain weapon for some reason, they will have a real tough time tracing it back to you..... but, give them YOUR name and they can pretty quickly print out a list of every handgun you've bought.....

my problem would be remembering which handguns I've bought through FFL's, and which through private parties. Maybe I should start keeping them in two different places.... they come round on the hunt for "all your weapons", the reality of that is they are wanting all the ones they KNOW about. It would be better to have a way of going to those only..... and not the ones they don't know about. Of course, there are always those I've sold or given away since their record was made.....

Joining the Washington Arms Collectors gives direct access to the twenty or so large gunshows each year..... many tables of private sellers, and ONLY members can buy or sell at those shows. Private sales will have no record. Dealers, well, that's a horse of a nuther colour. As everywhere. I've gotten some VERY good buys at those shows, no records.

Ditto. I have no confidence that they don't have these records squirreled away somewhere for "future reference". That's why I very seldom purchase firearms thru a dealer anymore.

The records would fit in a large personal computer hidden in some back room or even in someone's basement

Federal law, passed by Congress, requires that all records of "proceed" be destroyed within 48 hours, no permanent record kept. The Kenyan and minions desire very much to change this, but so far have not had sufficient traction to do so.

SO-- if anyone ever comes up with actual evidence this is happening, beyond "betchya they keep em", legal action should be initiated to put a stop to it.

Until the law changes, those records are NOT to be kept in any way.

Now, certain situations can enable the FBI to keep those records on "deny" codes for up to six months..... cases where they smell something funny going on, like mulitple attempts from different dealers, etc. But at present all "proceed" codes are to be destroyed.
Sure, I don't trust those guys farther than I kin toss em.... but, until someone unearths solid evidence to the contrary, we'll have to figure they are destroyed.

NOW.. it is the records at the state level, particularly on handguns, that bother me. States are not subject to record keeping restrictions as are the feds. Washington and Oregon both keep them, and since Oregon have the State Patrol DO the background checks through the FBI, there is no law, state or federal that prohibits them keeping records... which they certainly do.

It might be a noble enterprise to work toward putting a stop to THAT... in both states. Long shot, but a worthy goal.

IF it is a handgun, and it goes through an FFL, the law enforcement department that covers the area in which you reside actually runs the background check, not the FFL. The FFL simply sells the gun, gathers all of the information, and submits it to local law enforcement. The exception is if you have a Concealed Pistol License or are L.E. (in some cases), in which case the standard 1-877-FBI-NICS instant background is used, followed by the FFL faxing or mailing a copy of the completed and aproved Application to Transfer Pistol to the law enforcement who again covers the area in which you reside. Hopefully that made sense the way I wrote it.

Federal law, passed by Congress, requires that all records of "proceed" be destroyed within 48 hours, no permanent record kept. The Kenyan and minions desire very much to change this, but so far have not had sufficient traction to do so.

SO-- if anyone ever comes up with actual evidence this is happening, beyond "betchya they keep em", legal action should be initiated to put a stop to it.

This is supposed to be true (and may be) but I can tell you one thing that will scare everyone real good...

A local shop owner told me ATF is no longer under the DOJ, they are now part of some other section. Under the DOJ, ATF could not remove 4473's from the FFL, they could only come in and look at them. Now however, when they do their audits, they remove all of the old 4473's, and bring them back when they are done 'looking' through them.

Scary stuff right there.

Several years back, I lost a handgun. I reported it to the sheriff's office and Vancouver PD. The PD asked which one it was, and I didn't remember the SN till he read of all the SRs of Kel-Tecs I had bought from day 1. I had selected the correct SN of a P11. It shows that they have every one of your handguns on record. That is why I quit buying from dealers. :(

I have had ignorant WSP officers hassle me because the handgun I had bought in WA from an ffl showed up in their system, while the AR I had bought from the same FFL around the same time, did not show up. "how come your assault rifle is not registered?" he asked. I tried to explain that long guns are not registered in the state. He had a really dumb look on his face when another officer showed up and set him straight.

Now, certain situations can enable the FBI to keep those records on "deny" codes for up to six months..... cases where they smell something funny going on, like mulitple attempts from different dealers, etc. But at present all "proceed" codes are to be destroyed.
Sure, I don't trust those guys farther than I kin toss em.... but, until someone unearths solid evidence to the contrary, we'll have to figure they are destroyed.

NOW.. it is the records at the state level, particularly on handguns, that bother me. States are not subject to record keeping restrictions as are the feds. Washington and Oregon both keep them, and since Oregon have the State Patrol DO the background checks through the FBI, there is no law, state or federal that prohibits them keeping records... which they certainly do.

It might be a noble enterprise to work toward putting a stop to THAT... in both states. Long shot, but a worthy goal.

As evil as the "feds" have repeatedly proven themselves to be, I'll assume the worst, thank you

This is supposed to be true (and may be) but I can tell you one thing that will scare everyone real good...

A local shop owner told me ATF is no longer under the DOJ, they are now part of some other section. Under the DOJ, ATF could not remove 4473's from the FFL, they could only come in and look at them. Now however, when they do their audits, they remove all of the old 4473's, and bring them back when they are done 'looking' through them.

Scary stuff right there.

ATF has been copying 4473s at the dealers for decades.. I have it right from an FFL at his shop, back in the late 1980s! They just came in and copied everything with their portable printer!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews