JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now THIS ought to stir up an interesting debate...:s0114:

ATF letter to FFLs makes it clear: No guns for pot users

As if it didn’t have enough trouble, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has opened a new can of worms with a Sept. 21 letter to Federal Firearms Licensees explaining that medical marijuana users are prohibited from buying or even possessing firearms or ammunition.

<broken link removed>

That's pretty retarded. I don't smoke pot, I did as a kid but I feel like It's perfectly fine for adults with pain/anxiety issues. The united states has wasted so much money on fighting this war on weed, all for nothing! I never understood how pot was illegal yet there's a bar on every corner. I stopped drinking at 26 after realizing its a pathetic excuse for a social lubricant that usually brings people down the wrong paths. I also no longer put myself in places where people will be drunk as I can't stand unpredictable A-holes who ruin nights every time they drink

I can't say it surprises me. There is a question on the form to purchase a gun iirc that asks "Are you addicted to any illegal drugs?" or something to that effect. Since federal law still holds that Marijuana is illegal, the ATF is just assuming that anyone with a medical marijuana permit is addicted and thus ineligible to buy or own a firearm. I think it's BS personally, but it is the main reason I have never tried to get a medical marijuana permit. I figured it was only a matter of time until the ATF pulled something like this, and smoking a little weed isn't worth risking my 2nd amendment rights.

Eligibility For Purchasing A Firearm
1/1/06
All State and Federal Laws Will Apply Regarding the Sale of Firearms
• You Must Be a Resident of Oregon for Handgun Purchases
• You Must Not Have Been Convicted of a Felony nor Be Under Indictment or
Information for a Crime for Which the Judge Could Imprison You for More than One
Year
• You Must Not Have Been Convicted of a Domestic Violence Misdemeanor
• You Must Not Have Any Outstanding Warrants for Arrest
• You Must Not Be Limited by Conditions of Probation for Possession of Firearms
• You Must Not Be a Person Who Is Free on Any Form of Pre-Trial Release While
Awaiting Trial for a Felony
• You Must Not Have Been Committed to the Mental Health Division as a Result of a
Mental Commitment Hearing
• You Must Not Have Been a Person Found Mentally Ill and Have Been Specifically
Prohibited from Purchasing or Possessing a Firearm by Court Order as a Result of a
Commitment Hearing After January 1, 1990
• You Must Not Have Been Convicted or Found Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity During
the Previous Four Years for the Following Misdemeanors:

Assault 4th Degree Strangulation
Menacing Intimidation 2nd Degree
Recklessly Endangering
• You Must Not Have a Restraining Order Against You for Harassment, Stalking, or
Threatening an Intimate Partner or Child of an Intimate Partner
• You Must Not Be a Fugitive from Justice
• You Must Not Be a User of or Addicted to any Controlled Substance
• You Must Not Have Received a Dishonorable Discharge from the Armed Forces
• You Must Not Have Renounced Your U.S. Citizenship or Be an Illegal Alien

I always loved that line.

Technically, because my asthma inhaler is a "controlled substance", and I do use it, therefor I am not able to own a firearm.

And there is the problem. Unless the law somehow describes which specific class of drug they are referring it makes it difficult to know. For example what about a patient being treated for bone cancer taking opiates? Does he lose his civil right because he is being treated? Too many questions and not enough good answers.

I always loved that line.

Technically, because my asthma inhaler is a "controlled substance", and I do use it, therefor I am not able to own a firearm.

Along with every other person taking prescription drugs, for "ANY" reason!!!! (Even antibiotics) :nuts:

I'm not saying it's rite. I'm just saying, it's the law!

"&#8226; You Must Not Be a Fugitive from Justice " Hmmmmmm shouldn't the DOJ have the burden of proof to prove there is justice in this country today???

I seem to remember a line somewhere about "Equal justice under the law"...if they can sell to the Mexican cartels seems to me a guy with cancer should be able to own a gun for self-defense. But then I seem to be mis-reading the Constitution a lot lately.

So if a purchaser checks "no" on question 11e and the FFL has no "reasonable cause to believe" that they are using an illegal substance then all is well. Has the ATF been disbanded yet?!?! What a Joke

So if a purchaser checks "no" on question 11e and the FFL has no "reasonable cause to believe" that they are using an illegal substance then all is well. Has the ATF been disbanded yet?!?! What a Joke

In Washington, FFL's are forced to be revenue agents for the state by charging tax on fair market values of transfers. Are they now enforcement agents for the ATF?

Question 12.e. on ATF form 4473 states "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled
substance?"

It's an interesting quagmire the ATF has found themselves in over the wording of this question, because based on the reading of it, if you are a lawful user of ... then it doesn't apply. However, the case could be made that if you are addicted to it, then it's prohibitive. Perhaps this means government agencies will have to start publishing regulations and forms in plain unambiguous english, how revolutionary will that be.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top