JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is there any state that instituted gun registration after the FOPA of 1986 and wasn't challenged (or challenged and prevailed)?

That I am not sure, but I'm from California and I can tell you that virtually all firearms transactions must go through California DROS system where they keep a record. In CA you cannot sell more than 5 used handguns a year unless you are a firearms dealer. Selling multiple guns in one sale doesn't count as multiple transactions. Five is a rough number and not really enforced, but it's on the books incase they need to pick someone up for selling w/o a license and ATF doesn't have grounds to file charges. How the CA DROS system does not violate 86 FOPA I'm not sure, but I do know they can look up any gun that's been through the system to the last legal owner.

Even if you are correct about them pushing this through. I would much rather you write a lengthy post encouraging people to do everything they can to fight this. We know we face a rough battle, pretty sure everyone is aware of that. We know what the climate is. My only fear is that people will read this and decide to do nothing using this as an excuse to do nothing about it, because that is always easier. I don't believe this is be true. Actually recent polls averaged show that we are closing the gap, red was 15 points down in the polls and since this recent radical push for blatant tyrannical gun control we are now only 5 points down. People dont like gun control. We need those people to not think its hopeless, because its not. And even if it was, fighting against tyranny is the RIGHT thing to do.

I did write a detailed post that outlined exactly how we can not only impede Initiative 43's progress but also cause a delay whereby they miss the early July signature gathering deadline.

Read my post#632.

They stated they are not using paid signature gatherers in the first application. did they lie or change it ?
It still says they are not using paid organizations, who's job it is to collect signatures.

It doesn't say anything about gun control groups using their organizational power, finances from behind the scenes and fear mongering to motivate members to collect signatures. It could be an achilles heal for them, depending on what "paid" means, legally. (does it count if someone else pays for them?)

It still says they are not using paid organizations, who's job it is to collect signatures.

It doesn't say anything about gun control groups using their organizational power, finances from behind the scenes and fear mongering to motivate members to collect signatures. It could be an achilles heal for them, depending on what "paid" means, legally. (does it count if someone else pays for them?)

Do they gather the signatures out in public or on line ?

Maximum1 posted an excellent layout of the petition gathering process. I need to find the time (unless someone else can) to find the rules governing actual signature gathering. The other side used it without shame to get some of the signatures invalidated during the recalls a few years ago. I see no reason why we shouldn't know the same rules as well.

Note: It would be interesting / useful for those who participated in the signature gathering process back for the attempted recalls to share their own experiences with the rest of us, if your reading this.

Inoculation; I don't work for OSSA; I get nothing for mentioning them here or anywhere. I'm only looking at them as our best option as I currently see it.

OSSA supports the Oregon Association of Shooting Ranges; who has fought and won a significant >$1M legal battle against the EPA on behalf of a range near PDX ( Douglas Ridge maybe?). OSSA fought Multinoma Co in the courts too.

For those on facebook (real or not): Log In or Sign Up to View

And their website:
www.oasr.org

Here's a bit of clarification for those who are interested. I'll try to be clear about what I don't understand, so please chime in if you have more information.

You can read the State Initiative and Referendum Manual which is a current document on oregon.gov.

On pages 4-9 there is a section describing how circulators must be approved, certified and monitored.

Under "Distribution" on page 24, there seems to be something about how petitioners can send an "E-Sheet" to a subscriber list, publish on a website, and email a distribution list. People can print them out, mail them in, or go to a "Passive E-Sheet Station" to drop it off. The popularity of social media leads me to believe we have a pretty big fight on our hands.

My suggestions are to talk to your friends and family that believe, like us, how important these rights are. Make sure they are engaged and registered to vote. If you have friends that might be on the fence, take them shooting. Offer to attend a CCW class with them. If they have concerns, listen to them. Don't tell them they're wrong, even if you think they are (when you tell someone they're wrong, they dig their heels in deeper). Present factual, researched evidence.

If it comes down to it, we'll have to defeat this on the ballot in November. The only way we can win at that point is with votes. We'll need as many as we can get.

Read this ridiculous exchange on the Oregon Firearms Federation Facebook page between a gun owner and a member of Ceasefire Oregon. This is the kind of stupidity and deception we are up against.

Oregon Firearms Federation

In the facebook converstion When presented with facts about a glock with the fixed magazine .The replay from ceasefire was you can believe what you want ?
People this Ignorant are to stupid to even run there own life and they think they have a right to make decisions in ours . That person is a danger to the public & shoud be banned from driving ,and using a butter knife , Scary

Last Edited:
Anyone else think 43 is the bait before the switch? It's incredibly overreaching and poorly written and also being spearheaded by an independent group. What if it's sole purpose is to get publicity and fail? Then it's followed by a "more reasonable" push that "only" seeks to ban "military weapons" like ARs & AKs presented by the established antis.
We've seen this tactic before. They ask for something totally unreasonable, we fight it, then we end up with a "compromise" that, in reality, is a loss of right for us and another small win for them. All the while we're told to be glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
Or maybe I'm just a paranoid skeptic.

Anyone else think 43 is the bait before the switch? It's incredibly overreaching and poorly written and also being spearheaded by an independent group. What if it's sole purpose is to get publicity and fail? Then it's followed by a "more reasonable" push that "only" seeks to ban "military weapons" like ARs & AKs presented by the established antis.
We've seen this tactic before. They ask for something totally unreasonable, we fight it, then we end up with a "compromise" that, in reality, is a loss of right for us and another small win for them. All the while we're told to be glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

I believed it was planed by current high ranking left office holders. I seen a news clip that asked a question about the federal ban bills to the individual. The reply was if they don't pass one maybe Oregon will . That was before the announcement of our current situation . I don,t remember the name of media i was watching I have been looking for it but no luck . it might have been removed.
Being a election year they will use others to cover their tracks. We all need to get on one page and form a organized plan to defend our rights.

I wouldnt be surprised. They are so arrogant that they expect you to believe they are doing you a favor by raping you in the bubblegum .

Last Edited:
the left should have no cover on this. Too many on the left demanding confiscation, repeal of the 2nd and taking guns from law abiding citizens. Their "no body wants to take your guns" is dead meat now.

None of my firearms will accept a magazine with more than 10 rounds and none are being sold. To the best of my knowledge.

Hey our last Governor had problems with the law and little details.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top