JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Detroit, a couple of years ago, was pretty scary. The central core was OK, and far out suburbs were OK, but there was a doughnut ring of abandoned homes and factories that functioned as a no man's land. I remember reading about men armed with assault rifles stripping empty homes of copper wiring and plumbing, and of folks that lived many, many miles away from any store that sold fresh fruits and vegetables. People there are trying really hard to revitalize Detroit, but it is so depopulated, and unemployment is so high, that it is difficult to fund successful cleanup projects. Walking through some of the nastier areas feels pretty post apocalyptic. The vast majority of people living there are decent human beings.

I like talking to truckers. Those that have been driving many years have a lot to say about the decline of different parts of the US. Lots of people are only afloat because we are printing money and food stamps as fast as we can. Large numbers of the poor have no place to garden, and lack the tools or other resources to start their own viable small business. Our government programs really are holding the country together and keeping the peace.

Hopefully, most of us already rotate older emergency food stocks through food banks, where they can be immediately be put to good use. The vast majority of human beings feel better about themselves when they're being valuable to the people around them. As things break down further, it is important to increase how much we personally give to charity, and to get to know and connect with those that live around us, whether we think they are our kind of people or not. I can't pretend I have working, viable solutions to economic disaster, but I want the people I live around to value me, and find ways to value their company, or their work, or their contributions. A person can reach a breaking point pretty quickly while experiencing poverty and despair. If providing some hot meals, a listening ear, and a few hours to work alongside that person improving some aspect of his or her situation keeps that person from picking up an M4 and going out to fulfill basic survival needs, that is time well spent.

Most people simply are not prepared for things to get any worse. It is really hard to think up adult ways of coping with lots of needy people when, of course, we are on limited budgets ourselves. But people don't always just want a handout. Plenty of people are happy to earn their way through life. A neglected survival skill, I think, is trying to find useful, meaningful roles for those around you that don't prepare to meet emergencies. The article Peter linked to mentions that around 90% of those murdered are criminals, around 3% civilians. Probably most of those civilians are targeted for being better off than their surrounding neighbors. But the guys with guns that actively take what they want have short life expectancies.

Help people now. Many people need help right now. Might be something simple, like fixing a neighbor's roof or building a solar water pre-heater to cut down somebody's electric bill and build both your skills. People are going to be the greatest asset AND the greatest threat in an emergency. These might be people you currently have no use for. Find a way to make them valuable to you, and you to them.

Detroit, a couple of years ago, was pretty scary. The central core was OK, and far out suburbs were OK, but there was a doughnut ring of abandoned homes and factories that functioned as a no man's land.

Uh... couple of years ago? Now. I grew up there, was downtown for my Mother's funeral last year. The core is a hell hole. The neighborhood I grew up in (northwest side) still has safe pockets but I would venture to say, it's just like Detroit from yore: no matter where you are, sh1t's random and is gonna get ya.
Detroit is the ONLY city I know where you are safe on one block, in grave danger the next.

While there I walked from the RenCen down Atwater, shifted over to Jefferson, all the way to the Belle Isle bridge. Back down Jeff, over to Larned, up to Lafayette and into Greektown.
Dudes standing on Jefferson with fat stacks, a steady stream of cars exchanging wares. Most people I passed checked me out to see if I was dangerous (I saw fear).
Basically saw the same ol' stuff I grew up around. Only difference was more dilapidated buildings and they finally tore down all the ruins left over from the riots of 68 and 74.

The police station was appalling, with officers working at broken desks and trashed file cabinets. A destitute city in ruins.
I knew Joe Muir's (fantastic sea food) had closed, but walked up to see it. I was disgusted to see the burned out remains.

I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit as well and worked armed security in Detroit in the 80's there have sh!t holes there forever, I lived in the Detroit a lot of my life, and vist there now about once a year or so. I can tellpeople this hear and now and have mentioned it in the past on here, cities like detroit, Chicago St. louis, DC, Dayton, Cincinnati, charlotte, Charleston SC, you name them, they are magnets for trouble, because it is so easy for the trouble makers to blend in.

In highly concentrated areas you had better be watching your six when you go in or you may not come out, do not make yourslef a target of opportunity.

Also as noted these cities have declined and are continuing to decline, morally, ethically, and in infra -structure their sewer and water system were designed to last 50 - 60 yrs and most are beyond that point and crumbling, they crumbling to the point that when they havea problem the dig up the ground and insert a small section of pipe into the hole for sewer systems, note I never said anything about removing the old pipe because it does not exist, and they seal it as best the can with the deterioatated crud that is left.

Don't believe go to any of the major cities and watch them do it, i watch them do it where I live a year ago. What i am say the infra-structure is collapsing and they cannot afford to fix it and so is everything and with comes Mad Max towns in time.

Run a Google search on "Detroit emergency manager", and read articles from a variety of outlets. There simply is not a way to paint that in rosey colors.

Scary: Detroit is 1 of 6 (!) cities currently under State control in Michigan, with emergency managers in these cities holding executive and legislative power.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top