JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The history of the M16 is really interesting. My Small Arms book is about wore out from reading gun history. There was a good reason they had to add a forward assist according to the book.

I could see using it if you had to quietly chamber a round.
I could also see using it to chamber a round into a dirty chamber if in a self defense situation.
I can't see using it to try to chamber a poorly sized round.

From the POV of one who does know own a weapon in that configuration and have only shot one once, I found the control confusing because in my mind forcing the round seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

OTOH, I know like the idea of manually being able to force the bolt, because I have always shot bolt action.

But I would call that a solution in search of a problem, from what I have read here only.

FWIW

I'll admit I'm not an AR guy. But I never understood a semi-auto or select-fire weapon design with something to help manually seat the chambered round. Why was this considered needed? Sounds like a way of addressing the symptom of a design flaw, but not fixing the actual flaw.

I'll put on my body armor and wait for incoming flak.
Anyone having these types of issues is either using a gun that needs lube or really needs to upgrade their spring setup, probably both. There is little reason people should be needing to use a forward assist with modern springs. Bexar and tubb both make nice flat wire springs, the bexar in particular if you're trying to remain around milspec weight and the tubb in a carbine tube if you want a higher spring rate.

If you find yourself needing to use a forward assist and your AR is not filled with mud, grime, or something similar then something is wrong.

Tap. Rack. Bang. No forward assist needed. I never understood the concept of forcing a round that didn't seat during battery or after charging the rifle. Unless one is gingerly riding the charging handle home at which point I would suggest you're doing it wrong or the weapon has not been maintained. I guess it's nice to have a fail safe but I've never used it.

I must be the only person in this country that has no opinion on these things
Nope. Looks like there's three of us.

I appreciate the insight of guys like @Andy54Hawken , who's been there and done that. (Thanks, by the way) But I wonder why a "tap, rack, bang" isn't the method used with an AR?
I have, however, seen cartridges laying on the ground that with a little help would have chambered. It's usually a dented case and the dent would have been fireformed out with no damage to case or firearm.

Nope. Looks like there's three of us.

I appreciate the insight of guys like @Andy54Hawken , who's been there and done that. (Thanks, by the way) But I wonder why a "tap, rack, bang" isn't the method used with an AR?
I have, however, seen cartridges laying on the ground that with a little help would have chambered. It's usually a dented case and the dent would have been fireformed out with no damage to case or firearm.
Most of my shooting was indeed of the "tap , rack , bang"...the forward assist not being used.
That said we were trained to hit the forward assist after chambering a round....again mostly unneeded.

When I did need to use the forward assist was in times and places which are unlikely to occur for most folks....
Extremely sandy / gritty / dirty environment ....extended shooting with not as much cleaning and care given to the rifle as would have liked...or the old stand by...Sh!t happens....

I think for most shooting , in most cases...the forward assist is not needed...but when it was...I was glad to have it.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top