JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't speak for any other branch. But while I was in the Marine Corps we were instructed not to use the F/A. The thought process like the one stated above in @jbett98 post. If it isn't going to fit/seat in normal operation rip that round out and send the next one. Don't force it. I know there are different opinions on the F/A but that's what I was taught and adopted through my time in the service. Everyone has their own opinions on it though.

Things evolve but I think the FA is here to stay. As far as complicating the design and just being another point of failure, the forward assist is a very simple and robust design that I imagine has almost a non existent failure record. The only reason I can see not wanting one is if for some reason you needed a more snag free option and for purely cosmetic reasons.

I've always considered that I am not aware of 1 instance where the presence of the forward assist has caused a problem with the functioning of a firearm. If someone doesn't want to use it, they don't have to. If we are talking about weight savings on the rifle without a forward assist - I consider how many people can't run 50 yards without being out of breath are also complaining about saving weight on the forward assist. Keeping things in perspective can be helpful.

I've often wondered how far the sound of an AR bolt slamming home carries. :s0093:
I might have an answer for that...

Based on my experience, if you're in the jungle in Vietnam, every enemy troop within 1 klick will hear it and start ernestly seeking the source. Hence the rule we had about riding the charging handle when charging the weapon, pushing (not slapping) the forward assist and visually inspecting to ensure the bolt was fully in battery.

I've always considered that I am not aware of 1 instance where the presence of the forward assist has caused a problem with the functioning of a firearm. If someone doesn't want to use it, they don't have to. If we are talking about weight savings on the rifle without a forward assist - I consider how many people can't run 50 yards without being out of breath are also complaining about saving weight on the forward assist. Keeping things in perspective can be helpful.
Nailed it. But let's not talk about physical fitness. People get their feelings hurt. We need to be all about body positivity here….. the gun is what levels the playing field. Physical fitness not required. Lol.

My early Colt SP-1 Sporter doesn't have one.

800px-Colt_AR-15_SP1_Swedish_Army_Museum_001-1.jpg

The minty one below is mine, as found under a waterbed frame that belonged to a late friend of mine. The pic above was taken off the internet.

ar-15 colt 001.JPG

Last Edited:
The original ar has a forward assist. That cut out on the side of the bolt is like that for a reason
I always thought the cutout on the side of the bolt was so that it would trip the dust cover "switch" to open the cover when the bolt cycled if the dust cover was closed/locked... o_O I made that leap of deduction because of the rounded ends on both sides of the cutout, rather than vertical cuts into the bolt.

I always thought the cutout on the side of the bolt was so that it would trip the dust cover "switch" to open the cover when the bolt cycled if the dust cover was closed/locked... o_O I made that leap of deduction because of the rounded ends on both sides of the cutout, rather than vertical cuts into the bolt.
I believe this to be the case but I did not stay at a holiday in last night.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top