JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In all of my shooting of various AR15 type rifles / carbines while as a civilian ....I've only had to use the forward assist a handful of times...

However...when using the M16A1 -A2 series of rifles and the CAR-15 series / M4 Carbine , while in the Army and in combat ...
I have had to use the forward assist a lot....I don't have a exact number and yes I know anecdotally gotten information is flawed....
But I was glad it was there nevertheless.
Andy

I did have to use the Forward Assist once and it was at a critical moment. One other time, I just pushed forward on the BCG with my thumb. So I don't mind having it.

I'll admit I'm not an AR guy. But I never understood a semi-auto or select-fire weapon design with something to help manually seat the chambered round. Why was this considered needed? Sounds like a way of addressing the symptom of a design flaw, but not fixing the actual flaw.

I'll put on my body armor and wait for incoming flak.

Why was this considered needed?
I can not say why it was needed when first designed or first fielded...as I wasn't there.
I have heard many reasons as to the why....but again I wasn't there.

I can say that when I used it on the M16 series of guns , it was to fully chamber a round in the breech....what caused the round to not fully be seated...?
Well when I had to use the forward assist , I really didn't have the time for a detailed check...but I really needed my rifle or carbine to shoot and shoot now.....

I would guess it is there to help fully seat a round in a dirty or not lubed breech.....

So again....at least for me...I like 'em....even if I won't be in a position to have use one again.
Andy

In all of my shooting of various AR15 type rifles / carbines while as a civilian ....I've only had to use the forward assist a handful of times...

However...when using the M16A1 -A2 series of rifles and the CAR-15 series / M4 Carbine , while in the Army and in combat ...
I have had to use the forward assist a lot....I don't have a exact number and yes I know anecdotally gotten information is flawed....
But I was glad it was there nevertheless.
Andy

Don't you worry about them anecdotal haters, they were abused children and forced to wash in elderberries.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top