JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking about finally pulling the trigger on one or two complete Radical Firearms pistol lower receivers ($100ea). I am a pessimist who thinks M 114 will be passed by blankety-blank Oregonians. I think the queue is still plenty short enough that my BG will get through before Jan 1st if I order soon.

I could wait for Black Friday sales but I don't think the deals on complete lowers will get much better and that my BG check will get caught up in a Tsunami of others if M114 passes.

Who is buying now and who is waiting?

I'm buying. It's aways nice to have spares, the future is uncertain, and it's not like prices will ever go down from where they are "today", so....

I do more 80%'s, but believe firmly in buying today what you may not be able to buy tomorrow. Not just for me, but to pass to the next generation. Worst case... they hold value just fine so it's not as if you'll lose any money if you want to convert them back into cash, right.

I'm buying. It's aways nice to have spares, the future is uncertain, and it's not like prices will ever go down from where they are "today", so....

I do more 80%'s, but believe firmly in buying today what you may not be able to buy tomorrow. Not just for me, but to pass to the next generation. Worst case... they hold value just fine so it's not as if you'll lose any money if you want to convert them back into cash, right.
I poked around on the NWFA classifieds for complete lowers and there is much (if any) available in the $100 range.

I poked around on the NWFA classifieds for complete lowers and there is much (if any) available in the $100 range.
Nah. There isn't much around worth having under that. 100 bones is dirt cheap. It''s pretty difficult to do even an 80 and LPK for that.

Nah. There isn't much around worth having under that. 100 bones is dirt cheap. It''s pretty difficult to do even an 80 and LPK for that.
I am an Anderson lower type of guy, I think the forgings and quality are all pretty much the same in the bottom tier of lowers. Most of my stripped Anderson lowers were bought for around $30. I just want to stick with complete lowers for the next few purchases.

I am not really set up to play the 80% game and don't have much interest either (and no space). Although it would be nice to avoid the FFL/Transfer fees, I am feeling bad about avoiding my local FFL's shop for so long. It will make me feel better giving him a little business right now.

I am an Anderson lower type of guy, I think the forgings and quality are all pretty much the same in the bottom tier of lowers. Most of my stripped Anderson lowers were bought for around $30.
Even $30 anderson lowers, by the time you do the lpk, furniture, tube and springs... that's hard to stay under 100. Those completed lowers are a good deal, IMHO. Worst case, you can always swap out for better springs and such at a later date and end up with a drawer full of spare parts on the cheap.

If I wasn't so big brother adverse... I would be picking up a few. :s0155:

I'm still optimistic 114 won't pass, but then again, if it does, I don't want to be in a position that I "can't" buy what I want for the next year or more until it's overturned. I keep going back to... they're never going down in price... as easy justification. 🤣

I have not owned any poly AR lowers but most of my pistols are poly framed. For a range gun what are the down sides of poly AR lowers?
IMHO, the $ savings is not sufficient enough to outweight the cons when considering long term "life". Not that it isn't a valid option for some, but it also has to be considered that your typical AR poly lower is in and of itself not on par with polymers being used by mainstream mfg's. Not that they don't exist, but I would dare say they certainly don't exist in the price points of your typical poly lower offering.

To me, they might be a bit underrated and don't fully earn their bad rap, but the exponentially higher failure rates over aluminum certainly can't be ignored, either.

I guess the question for me becomes... is saving 10 bucks really worth it?

I guess the question for me becomes... is saving 10 bucks really worth it?
I have 2 of them, 1 on a lightweight fun build & 1 is on a 3 gun rifle, and they've been just fine and are still in use…but I went back to metal lowers. The small savings in money and weight wasn't worth the durability risk IMHO, and the novelty wore off.

I have 2 of them, 1 on a lightweight fun build & 1 is on a 3 gun rifle, and they've been just fine and are still in use…but I went back to metal lowers. The small savings in money and weight wasn't worth the durability risk IMHO, and the novelty wore off.
I would like to have one, for the novelty of it. Honestly if you factor in a $30 value for the LPK and $30 value for the stock and buffer tube assy, you are getting the lower for around $15. It is worth that in novelty value to me.

What I don't get is how respected many poly pistols are but how little love there is for the poly AR lowers. I would think the pistol frame would be subject to much more punishment from the slide action compared to an AR15 lower?

Edit: The $10 flat rate shipping charge is a barrier for me right now but if I find other items I want on their site I might grab one of complete poly lowers.

What I don't get is how respected many poly pistols are but how little love there is for the poly AR lowers. I would think the pistol frame would be subject to much more punishment from the slide action compared to an AR15 lower?
The action of the stress points are a bit different in a handgun vs. an AR style. There is also a lot of cantilever stress on the tube collar, which by design limitation, doesn't contain a great deal of material. Although, there are some that have metal thread inserts that help. You won't find those on the $20 lowers though.

Nope. Other than a final NFA item that is taking an unholy amount of time to process, I'm done with the pews, receivers or otherwise.
Me too. At 11 months now.

I'd like to think I'm done with purchases, and it's a good idea, and I've got most bases covered…and I've said this before.

Nope. Other than a final NFA item that is taking an unholy amount of time to process, I'm done with the pews, receivers or otherwise.
I'd like to think I'm done with purchases, and it's a good idea, and I've got most bases covered…and I've said this before.
Also done buying guns. Tired of the paperwork and the BS. Probably will stock up on mags and ammo and just going to enjoy shooting what I already have.

We're pretty much done.

I write "pretty much", because I am considering a few Glock 10mm handguns. So, will likely purchase such this month.

Whereas would have waited a "bit" to buy them. As in months, whenever I got around to such. Now, although not rushed, there is a definitive timeline.

Would have preferred getting more ducks in a row for a new caliber first. Components, dies, brass, extra magazines, holsters & such...

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top