JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Everyone. My son who lives in Oklahoma City just sent me several emails about the cheap prices for new ARs in his area. Cheaper now than your average AK! Go figure. I'm not an AR guy so this is news to me. Maybe to others too. He also sent ads that showed 22lr plentiful and cheap! Could this be heaven's gate arriving for gunners? Imagine. Right now American made ARs are selling for less than an average 1911 in Oklahoma.

I have seen several factory built new AR's offered in the $400 range, one on sale for under $400.

I think that qualifies as cheap

I have also seen tons of rifles listed for sale used for very reasonable prices, and they don't sell

I'll be happy when the quality rifle prices come down. After Sandy Hook and Obamas failed attempt at gun control the nice rifles went up and stayed there while everything else didn't.

I am a little surprised by some of the talk I have heard of "about time!, we deserve cheap after being swindled and gouged"

While I understand the temporary benefit of lower prices what I see is Gander Mountain, Olyimpic Arms and Colt in bankruptcy, Federal Ammo laying off hundreds of people, Silencer Co laying off half their work force and this is just the beginning.

It's part of the business cycle, but I for one would rather see it strong and healthy

I am a little surprised by some of the talk I have heard of "about time!, we deserve cheap after being swindled and gouged"

While I understand the temporary benefit of lower prices what I see is Gander Mountain, Olyimpic Arms and Colt in bankruptcy, Federal Ammo laying off hundreds of people, Silencer Co laying off half their work force and this is just the beginning.

It's part of the business cycle, but I for one would rather see it strong and healthy

Gander Mountain, Olympic Arms and Colt where all doing bad well before the rise in the in gun sales/panic after Sandy Hook and as I see it they got a few more years that they would not have had because of it and still failed not do to the down turn but due to bad management.

Silencer Co I do not know much about but my guess is they bet on the election and Hillary winning and staffed for that also a bad management decision/gamble.

Federal did the same thing they set up for a Hillary win figuring there would be another panic and ammo glut.

None of the sales and business based there growth model on reality they all knew when the panic was over it would all go back to normal and be a seasonal sales model vs. a panic.

I have noticed that out of the blue in the last month 22 ammo is showing up everywhere and the prices are coming down did they all of a sudden catch up with demand or did they have it warehoused and only distributed it as need to keep demand high and price up. I mean it went from 59 to 99 a brick to 29 almost overnight. (Just rumors, or are they)

You also got to blame the store who bought hundreds of AR's betting on a Hilary win so they could sell the 600 dollar AR for 1199 to 1999 and now they are trying to dump them as fast as they can before the note on them is due. It was just plain poor speculation and planning on their part as well. They depended on a crowed who only wanted an AR because the government told them they should not have it and now the fear is gone and so is the desire for many folks.

Just like the stock market soon there will be a correction and it will crash to a more normal level and many folks who jumped on the band wagon are going to get burned.

I like the fact I can build an AR for less than 500 with some cool options that would have cost me 800 six months ago.

I do not want to see business go away but at the same time I do not want to pay panic prices.

Last Edited:
Yes I would imagine for those with the cash and the desire to buy right now certain items can be had at effective cost points. Correct- part of the business cycle to be sure. I am in no market looking for anything but ammo right now. Might be nice shopping.

Gander Mountain, Olympic Arms and Colt where all doing bad well before the rise in the in gun sales/panic after Sandy Hook and as I see it they got a few more years that they would not have had because of it and still failed not do to the down turn but due to bad management.

Silencer Co I do not know much about but my guess is they bet on the election and Hillary winning and staffed for that also a bad management decision/gamble.

Federal did the same thing they set up for a Hillary win figuring there would be another panic and ammo glut.

None of the sales and business based there growth model on reality they all knew when the panic was over it would all go back to normal and be a seasonal sales model vs. a panic.

I have noticed that out of the blue in the last month 22 ammo is showing up everywhere and the prices are coming down did they all of a sudden catch up with demand or did they have it warehoused and only distributed it as need to keep demand high and price up. I mean it went from 59 to 99 a brick to 29 almost overnight. (Just rumors, or are they)

You also got to blame the store who bought hundreds of AR's betting on a Hilary win so they could sell the 600 dollar AR for 1199 to 1999 and now they are trying to dump them as fast as they can before the note on them is due. It was just plain poor speculation and planning on their part as well. They depended on a crowed who only wanted an AR because the government told them they should not have it and now the fear is gone and so is the desire for many folks.

Just like the stock market soon there will be a correction and it will crash to a more normal level and many folks who jumped on the band wagon are going to get burned.

I like the fact I can build an AR for less than 500 with some cool options that would have cost me 800 six months ago.

I do not want to see business go away but at the same time I do not want to pay panic prices.

You didn't say a thing I disagree with, however I still don't think it's a good thing. Necessary? Yeah I suppose so but I still don't think it's good

Now would be a good time for people to stock pile anything they are short on.

I'm guessing that prices aren't going to come down to much further if at all. So for those who are just getting started this is the time take advantage of it.

You didn't say a thing I disagree with, however I still don't think it's a good thing. Necessary? Yeah I suppose so but I still don't think it's good

I have talked to my local store that I have done business for ever with and worked on weekends at and they say sales are starting to pick back up again.

It's mainly Tax return money coming in and gun sales are still happening just not in panic mode. In their store it is a 50/50 split on handguns and ARs so the AR market is not gone just slow. They did not panic as bad as some on the AR's but yes they bought extras and have a few good sales going on but they have the means to sit on them for a bit if needed.

To me this was a good business decision as they are diversified to stay in business without just AR sales.

I am with you I do not want to see the companies go away because as they do so will the innovation in new technology as the demand slows down.

But in my life time I have had 3 companies slow down and close the plants I worked at. One I worked at for 21 years, one for 4 and one for 9.5 so I know how markets and bad management affects jobs and I do not want to see any one lose their job but that is business.

I give it 9 months and I see it picking back up for one of two reasons.

The first is if the economy does pick up as Trump and many of us hope and jobs really do grow so will extra spending cash or at least consumer confidence so folks will spend that extra cash rather than save it.

Or the next one is not so good if all the Crap in North Korea, Russia and China starts getting worse or more US civil unrest continues to get worse on topics of free speech and gun control the prepper market will pick up again and the panic will be on the rise once more.

I hope for option one as I am to dam old for option two but I am prepared.

Yes I would imagine for those with the cash and the desire to buy right now certain items can be had at effective cost points. Correct- part of the business cycle to be sure. I am in no market looking for anything but ammo right now. Might be nice shopping.

I've spent 20 grand on guns ammo and gun parts in the last six months. I'm probably the exact demographic you're talking about. I spent money because prices seemed exceptional. Thing is I am unlikely to spend any more serious money because I see prices continue to fall. I was excited to take advantage of what it look like we're great deals but as the market continues to deteriorate it's apparent that even those great deals may have been too expensive. I'm also now stuck with a lot of the firearms I bought unless I want to sell them at a significant loss. Not that I intend to sell a bunch of stuff but it's all about how you feel. When you feel the investment was a good one you're more likely to make more of an investment. When everything is going to hell you're not likely to dump a whole bunch more money In.

Personally I think the AR and ammo glut could last for five or 10 years and dramatically change the landscape of the firearms industry. I see the AR market a lot like the custom motorcycle market. It was hot and everybody jumped in, many at it inflated price. There are now 50 or a hundred in circulation for every one that existed 20 years ago, many of them bought by people who just thought they should have one because they were scared they might take them away or bought them as an investment that is now clearly imploding.

It's been eight years since the custom motorcycle market imploded and you can still buy a motorcycle that cost $50,000 then for $10,000, and I don't think that there's any sign of that market recovering possibly ever. The demographic willing to pay those high prices just went away.

While I don't think the AR market is that severe I do think it's going to take a good long while for things to stabilize and find equilibrium. In the meantime I think a lot of good parts manufacturers and retailers are going to go bankrupt

My only disappointment with the return to sane prices is I am saving for a house and not stocking the armoree:rolleyes:, Or is that armor-Whee! I'd sell some other hobby items for additional funding but most our worldly goods are in storage awaiting the new hacienda. Timing, sigh, the story of my life.:mad:

Brutus Out

As far as the companies that hired betting on hilardy,it's just part of doing business. A contractor hires because he has a big job then lays most off. Just the way it is.
So silencerco and Federal gave some people work for a while,that wa good right? Now they don't need them. It's just part of the business cycle.
Yes it would be nice if those folks still had jobs but I'm guessing if they're worth while they'll have new jobs soon.
But what happened to Gander mt? Bass pro and cabellas run them out?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews