JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Told this somewhere else on NWFA before, but it seems appropriate here now.

BURGLAR: [Bursting into condo and pointing gun] "Don't do anything stupid, just give me all your money… and that fancy huge watch."

MILLENNIAL: [Chuckling, tossing him the wallet and watch] "Sure thing Pal. Alexa, call the police."

ALEXA: "Shuffling songs by the Police."

MILLENNIAL: [Listening to Roxanne and getting shot 16 times].

So, since I'm having sex by myself, does that mean they aren't listening to me? o_O

only if you make lots of noise Ohh baby yeah that is how its done yeah faster ,faster . Now harder make it hurt so good . Do me like you would do your mother yeah it ,do it . roll me over and pull my hair at the same time ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

For me, it's not that I care that anyone cares what I'm saying. It's the principle that someone feels they have to spy on me in the first place is what chaps my butt.
Whether it's the gub'mint, Big Tech, or even my neighbor doesn't matter to me. They all need to STFU and get their nosey asses out of my life.
Hey it's all about the money. The "spying" is them taking info they can sell. All that info they harvest has people who want to pay for it. Its why people like those kids who started Google are billionaires. Sadly problem is once they get that kind of money they soon look at most of the world as something to control. For anyone who really does not want to be part of it they could. Just do not use the net or cell phones. We did get along fine before they came along of course. To me they are so nice to have I shrug at them selling my info. Have thought lately of getting a VPN just to stick it to them a little. :D

I haven't seen anyone argue that. Care to elaborate?
I have been hearing it ever since "tech" got to going good. Even to this day, although it's not nearly as common with those I know. Wife still works with a gal who is younger than us who refuses to buy anything online. She said they will get her "info" if she uses things like Amazon:confused: A few times when there was something she wanted and could not find she would pay my Wife to buy it for her. She really is scared to shop or bank online. I used to see a LOT of people I worked with like this. Just sure if they leaned to bank on line their world would end. When I would try to explain to them that their bank shared their info on the net all the time their eyes would glaze over. <shrug>
The other side of this coin is the "tech savvy" who would tell everyone no one was harvesting their info. I used to ask some of these people why is the Google OS given away free? They could never answer that. Mostly they just did not want to admit their info was being sold. I have always been one of the "I don't care". I love the tech and playing with it. If the price is they are selling someone my info and what I buy and where I go? They can have at it, I could care less.

It does concern me on a macro level, though. Clearly the technology already exists to influence society heavily based on what is gleaned from social media posts, but can you imagine if/when truly intelligent AI is developed? I'm not a tinfoil hat type, but that sounds a little scary, not because I think sentient robots are going to take over the world, but because I just think it's too much power concentrated in the hands of big business/government.
That. Right. There! ^^^

I get what you're saying but that's not the issue.

The issue is that these devices bounce just about all communication up to the server for processing to see if you've said "hey Siri" recently and if it should pay attention. These recordings are not actual Siri requests but just background noise recorded while the system waits for a legit request.

For one, I understand the need to send audio out for stronger AI processing but shouldn't it be possible that the "Hey Siri" part be done locally with nothing sent up until activation of the feature is confirmed?

And two, if every audio does have to be sent up, why is it not deleted in damn near real time if no "Hey Siri" is found?

They're using the audio for more than just Siri. They just don't even tell the contractors what the data is really being used for.
Hey Siri requires a match to both the 'general' Hey Siri model (how your iPhone thinks the words sound) and the 'personalized' model of how you say it. This is to prevent other people's voices from triggering your phone's Hey Siri feature by accident.

Until that match happens, no audio is ever sent off of your iPhone. All of that listening and processing happens locally.

"The "listening" audio, which will be continuously overwritten, will be used to improve Siri's response time in instances where the user activates Siri," says Apple. The keyword there being 'activates Siri.' Until you activate it, the patterns are matched locally, and the buffer of sound being monitored (from what I understand, just a few seconds) is being erased, un-sent and un-used — and unable to be retrieved at any point in the future.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top