JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally I'm not worried that "they" are spying on me and are out to get me. I literally have nothing to hide. I'm about as squeaky clean as they come. I've never done drugs, hung out with criminals, or plotted to overthrow the govt, and I never will. I've never even been drunk. I would be just about the most boring person in the world to spy on.

That said, it's the principal of it for me too. When you're in the bathroom, you normally close the door, right? Everyone knows what you're doing in there; you have nothing to hide. It's not secret, but it is private, and it should be.

Suppose the local police knocked on your door. They're doing a complementary audit of houses in the neighborhood, and want to come in, walk through and check that you are being safe and following all the rules.

I'm personally quite confident that I'd do fine if such a thing were forced on me, as that's how we live anyhow, but would I voluntarily consent to such an invasion of my privacy? Absolutely not. Just like the fact that all my firearms are completely legal and safely stored. Why object to registering them, then? What I have is my own business, in my opinion.

I actually have had state and federal law enforcement officers in my house at one time or another, looking through my safe and examining my guns. Not in an official capacity though, personal friends over for a visit, talking guns and such. :)
This is precisely to my point. What's my bid'ness is my bid'ness. And bubbleguming no one else's!

Last Edited:
Maybe I'm a little different, but I couldn't care any less if Apple, Google or other devices/services listen to me. I'm not all that interesting, my web surfing is "clean" compared to some and I don't really have anything to hide. I use smart devices all day long and never put any thought into it.

The idea of being "anonymous" these days is futile and virtually impossible. Besides that, what does it REALLY matter? Emergency services, first responders, LEO and the like can find pretty much anyone anytime even via landlines....

I haven't seen anyone argue that. Care to elaborate?
A joke not about this particular thread or even in this forum (though they pop up from time to time) theres always a group in any conversation when talking about tech overeach or government tracking that thinks anything not innocent is a conspiracy theory. I remember fondly the amount of times ive read/heard/been told that alexa, google, siri ect. Werent really listening and that no one is listening in lol

This is really no different from using a one of those cards at a grocery store to save on your purchases. You fall down and hurt yourself, and then the store looks at your previous purchases that they have been tracking and see you have bought wine and alcohol, and uses that in the case against you.

Are you really worried about the few people who might be listening to your conversations, or maybe you should be worried about all of the conversions that they have been recording, digitizing, analyzing with AI, and will likely use against us in the future.

Today we can expect and deal with everybody and every machine listening to everything we say. Probably some video of it it. If it is possible somebody will do it. This even includes singing in the shower. For me there is nothing illegal that I do or say ... they can record all they must. Dry well.

But ... But ... But ... what if something goes haywire and you are falsely accused of something you did not do? Like they say ... a series of unfortunate events. Adversity leads of opportunity. Electronic security companies will respond to a need. Spend the money if you feel the need to do so.

No big deal.
:rolleyes: Whenever we're plotting to overthrow the government, planning a bank robbery or murdering the meter reader (gov. spy)...…..
...… I always meet with my co-conspirators in our club's camo'd rowboat at midnite in the middle of the Snake River, without cellphones, in our underwear and never look up so satellites can't read our lips or identify us. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm a little different, but I couldn't care any less if Apple, Google or other devices/services listen to me. I'm not all that interesting, my web surfing is "clean" compared to some and I don't really have anything to hide. I use smart devices all day long and never put any thought into it.

The idea of being "anonymous" these days is futile and virtually impossible. Besides that, what does it REALLY matter? Emergency services, first responders, LEO and the like can find pretty much anyone anytime even via landlines....
Pretty much this...

Private property is private.

You don't own the internet. You pay, for the most part, to access it.

Folks CHOSE to run businesses online, they don't have to.

I imagine even NWFA isn't owned by Joe, he likely, like most website businesses, leases the URL from one of a few registries.

Even then, when you signed up on NWFA you agreed to a USER AGREEMENT, so essentially Joe OWNS everything you type here. So if he wanted to do something with the data you input here, HE COULD!

You sign similar USER AGREEMENTS to use your phone, your computer, your internet service provider, etc etc etc. By AGREEMENT you are essentially allowing them to do what they wish with your data.

Just wait until home builders start utilizing user agreements. Or apartment leases. Car leases are already there.

A joke not about this particular thread or even in this forum (though they pop up from time to time) theres always a group in any conversation when talking about tech overeach or government tracking that thinks anything not innocent is a conspiracy theory. I remember fondly the amount of times ive read/heard/been told that alexa, google, siri ect. Werent really listening and that no one is listening in lol

Gotcha. Yeah, anyone that thinks they are somehow "invisible" to it are sadly mistaken. Unless they live off grid or like Grizzly Adams. :)

Imagine the shear bandwidth it requires to listen in on the entire population of "Smart" People!
Do you really think they are able to do that? On top of that, how many "Employees" would that require to monitor it real time?
No, they use algorithms to scan for certain trigger words and combinations of, then they go live on those coms! Once they have a "list" of folk, they can then listen in on what ever! They don't care about your internet searches beyond trying to tempt you with click bait to generate revenue, but your own browser history is the key to any potential use against you! THAT history is still "Yours" in theory, but I can assure you, there is a server farm someplace actively storing that private history with out your knowledge or consent!

Yep. And unless one uses the internet for illegal or immoral purposes, there's really nothing to worry about. It's only going to become more prevelant as time and technology moves forward. There's really no practical way to "hide" from it.

And if the tech can help pinch some peder scumbag or a wannabe terrorist I say go for it. To the comment about being wrongfully accused......hopefully the data recorded (voice/video) can help acquit. But no, nothing is perfect and unfortunately there is a small percentage of people wrongfully accused every year. Has been since the beginning of time.

Maybe I'm a little different, but I couldn't care any less if Apple, Google or other devices/services listen to me.

This, pretty much.

Do I like the snooping? No. Do I ultimately care? Also no, though some simple precautions are easy enough to do to make it less easy. More broadly, some technology we adopt, others we wait, and still some others simply ignore. I've worked in the tech sector almost all of my adulthood and likely will in some capacity until I retire, so I have accepted the fact this is part of life in the 21st century.

I'm going to live the way I want, how I want, and with whom I want, regardless of any prying eyes. Some aspects of my life may be unconventional to some, but I don't break the law, associate with criminals or terrorists, engage in any questionable business dealings, or otherwise have any reason to fear additional scrutiny from the powers that be.

So, meh, whatever. There are real dangers in the world to work on addressing; this one is so far down the list, expending much mental energy isn't worth it.

This reminds me a little of living in a glass house, so to speak. We've all been to tourist attractions that were working industries. I'm thinking in particular of a cheese factory, where thousands of people flock daily, and look down through huge windows on the workers diligently doing their jobs making cheese.

I wouldn't like to work like that, myself, with dozens of people watching my every move, every minute of the day. But I'm sure they get used to it, and after a while probably don't even think about it. So you scratch your nose, drop a tool, or bark at a coworker. Everyone does now and then.

It's the "why" of being watched that bothers us, instinctively. If a stranger is watching you from across the street, it makes you nervous because you don't know why, or if he's a danger to you. We'll get comfortable with Apple or Google sticking their microscope up our collective backsides because we know it's nothing personal; they're just trying to refine their marketing so they can make more money.

Clearly some of us are quite comfortable with it already. I know that the younger generation in general is much more comfortable with it. I'm not terribly worried on a micro level, because I know "they" aren't out to get me, personally.

It does concern me on a macro level, though. Clearly the technology already exists to influence society heavily based on what is gleaned from social media posts, but can you imagine if/when truly intelligent AI is developed? I'm not a tinfoil hat type, but that sounds a little scary, not because I think sentient robots are going to take over the world, but because I just think it's too much power concentrated in the hands of big business/government.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top