JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
businesses such as apartments don't want resistance or to be questioned on their judicial rulings. From information I see, there was no inquiry if or to what means they asked, they took one cowards word and have now made a decree that this individual is guilty of breaking a rule.

Apartments don't make judicial rulings. They make contractual agreements with tenants. All this hollering about rights is IMO hot air in this particular instance. Yes, one maintains basic rights.... but when signing a contract that says not to carry in a manner that alarms other tenants, by signing that rental agreement one has waived the right to open carry, as we understand it's meaning, under most circumstances. In this circumstance, one signed having had to know that OC bothers most people in today's Oregon. So yes, sign that contract waive that right. You have the right, and you waived it!!!

Judges make rulings. If one insists on open carry, and other tenants complain, the mgr/owner is within his rights to notify the tenant of a violation of the contract. It doesn't matter if the others are being whiny babies. And the mgr is never going to have to prove that you carried in such a manner as to alarm others because obviously you did alarm others and they complained. All he has to do is keep a record of the date/time. Do it enough times and the mgr/owner can start eviction proceedings if they want to, and legally they should so they don't waive their right to enforce the rules agreed upon. In court, if you want to take it that far, you think an Oregon judge is going to side with several tenants doing he said/she said, or with a gun totin badazz?

Pointless to OC period. My opinion.

OC has its place, IMO. We prefer it around the property & in camp. Sometimes on a hike, sometimes not.

No opinion on when/why/how others choose to carry, provisio being its not just to make some type of "statement". ie, if that's the persons everyday choice, fine by me.

If the person is gearing up for some public display of some kind, poor choice. Very poor choice.

Apartments don't make judicial rulings. They make contractual agreements with tenants. All this hollering about rights is IMO hot air in this particular instance. Yes, one maintains basic rights.... but when signing a contract that says not to carry in a manner that alarms other tenants, by signing that rental agreement one has waived the right to open carry, as we understand it's meaning, under most circumstances. In this circumstance, one signed having had to know that OC bothers most people in today's Oregon. So yes, sign that contract waive that right. You have the right, and you waived it!!!

Judges make rulings. If one insists on open carry, and other tenants complain, the mgr/owner is within his rights to notify the tenant of a violation of the contract. It doesn't matter if the others are being whiny babies. And the mgr is never going to have to prove that you carried in such a manner as to alarm others because obviously you did alarm others and they complained. All he has to do is keep a record of the date/time. Do it enough times and the mgr/owner can start eviction proceedings if they want to, and legally they should so they don't waive their right to enforce the rules agreed upon. In court, if you want to take it that far, you think an Oregon judge is going to side with several tenants doing he said/she said, or with a gun totin badazz?
Zacklies!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
And your 100% correct about Or. Courts finding in favor of anything anti gun, ask Mike Strickland!

And I think taking a brash "I don't care" attitude regarding someone else's property is strange coming from members that generally care VERY MUCH about their own property and rights therein.............
They have a written signed agreement that he is abiding by. If they didn't want him to do what he is doing, they had the opportunity to put that into the agreement. If they had done so, he would have had the opportunity to decide whether or not he is willing to comply with that. They mentioned one thing related to what he is doing in their written agreement and it doesn't prohibit him from doing what he's doing. It isn't like they didn't think of it ahead of time. They did. They mentioned it in the agreement and wrote down the guidelines they expect him to follow. He's doing that.

The way I look at it is......The first anti gunner that sees you will feel threatened, scared that you will shoot someone, tell everybody they see your a terrorist of some sort or some other bull s-it. Why fuel the fire? Keep it covered up.

How is it "rolling yellow belly" when a property owner enforces rules that were agreed upon to live there? What I mean is what is the point in strutting around the common areas OCing? Intimidation? A-hole factor? Just because?
OP said..

"... as I only go to and from my truck."

Simply walking from his apartment to his truck is hardly what I would call "strutting around the common areas." Please be fair.

The term "common area" is a poorly defined and an OVERLY broad term. A landlord could say any and every area outside your front door is "common area." So what if a landlord then said, "no guns in the common area period?" Which would effectively mean you couldn't have a gun in your apartment because you obviously must walk through the "common area" to get to your apartment. That is not legal.

Look, I am not a fan of open carry. I support the right but not the practice...except in very limited situations such as hunting out in the boonies, having an immediate threat against you and you don't have a permit, etc. Tactically, I think open carrying puts you at great risk for having your gun stolen, or worse...getting shot and then having your gun stolen. I also don't think that open carrying helps our cause. The sheep freakout and it brings gun owners a ton of negative attention.

With the above said, as much as I don't like open carrying, I will absolutely support someone's right to do it in accordance with the law. And we all should. The landlord can likely ban open carrying in the TRUE common areas like the pool, clubhouse, etc. But he can't stop you from exercising your constitutionally protected right simply walking from your apartment to your car.

Also keep in mind we don't know anything about OP's situation. He said he does not have a CHL and he's moving soon. Maybe something has happened in his life recently that has put his safety in jeopardy and he needs to protect himself...right now...not 30 days from now after his permit gets processed. We don't know. But there may be very valid reasons for someone open carrying.

At any rate, OP seems long gone and who can blame him with how derailed this thread has gotten. You should close it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews