JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rock on.

1710091306786.png

I have found that the type of pants + belt + holster is key.

I'm almost to the point (15+ years later) that I can carry my firearm and not even notice it's there. I'm sure there are more comfortable ways to carry but they always come at a sacrifice of something else. Comfort normally means slow presentation/access to the pistol in a time that I need to have it as easily accessible. I'm not willing to sacrifice speed for comfort. Which is why I will never pocket carry/shoulder holster/belly band/deep concealment/ankle holster/ etc. as a primary carry method.

When I started concealed carrying, I used a shoulder holster with a J-Frame Smith. It concealed well, but there were a few reasons I changed to a fanny pack instead. (I did say when I started. I didn't say how long ago that was. ;))
1) Quite often my choice of clothing meant it was a process to get the gun from the holster into my hand.
2) If I didn't wear the straps that attached it to my belt, the thing flopped around like a big boob without a bra. If I did wear the straps, the gun was much more secure, but it felt like they really limited my movement.
3) It required a lot more thought about keeping it concealed than I originally assumed.

When I handgun hunted I used an Uncle Mikes vertical shoulder holster. Uncle Mikes aren't the best, but I couldn't afford a "better" holster. I was carrying a 10.5" Ruger SRM (Super Blackhawk in 357MAX). It took a looooong draw to clear the holster, but it was the very best way available at the time to carry that gun. With that much weight the thing had to be tied down as well to keep it from shifting all over. Being tied to my belt concerned me less when I was out walking around in the woods compared to going about my normal activities.
The funny thing is that the big gun concealed about as well as the little gun when using a shoulder holster.

I'm not as thin as I used to be, but I am not a large guy. I've found that an IWB in a forward cant tucks the butt of the gun into the body and is about as easy to conceal as anything. I can go about my day with few concerns of the gun coming out of the holster or showing when wearing an untucked shirt for cover. If I'm going to be more strenuous, I'll switch to an OWB with a thumb break. Being OWB means one of two things. You either need a fairly long tail on your shirt or coat, or you don't care about staying concealed. I carry a Commander sized 1911 these ways and it works very well for me.
No way? Is there really a "Fanny Pack Renaissance" occurring?

Well, I'll be.... Now I've seen it all. 😁
All I got out of all that is you wear a strap-on floppy boob…..

;) :s0108:

Have tried several. Only one I ever stayed with is the Galco Miami Classic. Still use one I have had for decades for a 1911 when I will be wearing a jacket to cover it. VERY comfortable.
This is my current EDC for my Kimber Ultra Carry II. I don't agree with the statement made about them not concealing well. If one pays attention to detail, for me, it conceals better than an OWB holster. I do not carry IWB because as I've gotten older and a bit around the middle, IWB really sucks! :) This is cool weather only carry for me. When warmer weather comes again, I'll be back to waist carry for my G43 or my Mitch Rosen for the Ultra II.

thumbnail_20240310_110212.jpg

Last Edited:
No way? Is there really a "Fanny Pack Renaissance" occurring?

Well, I'll be.... Now I've seen it all. 😁
There is! All the young kids seem to have one now. But they wear it across their chest. Admittedly it's more comfortable to carry it that way. But it's allowed me to carry all kinds of firearms in a very low profile way.

Miami Classic for 1911's, for this chunky frame of mine, it works well. Just wish the straps were a bit wider going over the shoulders for additional comfort.

And some off brand for the Sig M11-A1, that does have the wider shoulder straps and seems to apply less pressure to the shoulders.

There primarily used when I play dress up, sports coat or suit, they hide very well.

I'm not the first and I certainly won't be the last to struggle with finding the right concealed holster.

I think it goes without saying, but I'm gonna say it anyway, that anyone who is not new to concealed carry probably has a drawer or box or something full of holsters that didn't work.

At this point, I'm getting burnt out on trying different IWB solutions that either don't work or work "good enough". That said, I'm looking at other possible concealed solutions.

I've never worn a shoulder holster, so I'm curious to hear from anyone who has used or might still be using one. The usual... pros, cons, etc... Obviously feedback in terms of holsters can be difficult cause no two people are the same, but maybe shoulder rigs are different in that sense...?

Discuss.

EDIT TO ADD: I've also never tried a belly band style, so maybe thoughts on those if you've tried...🤷‍♂️
What size gun? Small gun in Alabama pocket holster is best for me. Never even think about it really. I only have shoulder holsters for big guns like mp5k etc. Just for fun really. Seems like it would really limit your clothing options. That's why I like pocket holster the best. Comfortable and don't have to change anything re clothes, don't have to worry about it when going to the can, or worry about printing or someone bumping into it.

What size gun? Small gun in Alabama pocket holster is best for me. Never even think about it really. I only have shoulder holsters for big guns like mp5k etc. Just for fun really. Seems like it would really limit your clothing options. That's why I like pocket holster the best. Comfortable and don't have to change anything re clothes, don't have to worry about it when going to the can, or worry about printing or someone bumping into it.
3-4 inch semi-auto.

Tried pocket holsters with a little lcp and that didn't work out. My clothing doesn't allow pocket carry well and at this point I'm not changing my wardrobe choices. Plus, most of my pockets are designated for other daily carry items.

Last Edited:
Appendix carry is the most comfortable way I have found.

Due to my work and the amount of driving I do pocket carry is pointless. Access to the firearm is way too slow. Plus I wear wrangler cowboy cut jeans. You're not getting much of anything in those front pockets. Haha.

Last Edited:
I tried it. Couldn't look at myself seriously in the mirror. But that's just my own pride getting in the way.
That's fair, but I'll take off the body carry over IWB any day for comfort.
It's far more comfortable, Granted it doesn't have the cool factor.
As for pride, yeah I hear ya.. I just avoid my reflection, ignorance is bliss.

Been using a Galco Jackass rig for 18 years with my Beretta FS96.
Been using a Galco Jackass rig for 6 years to EDC my G19, G17, G32, G26, as well as my various Shadow Systems.
Been using a Gould & Goodrich Shoulder rig for five years my G20's, Optic or not.

I love shoulder rigs; they work well for me. And the fact that I'm carrying 46 rounds of ammo is a big comfort.
On hot days, I do have to wear what I call a light "cover shirt" to conceal.

I no longer carry OWB, it just does not work for me.

IWB, I use a Galco King Tuk. I use these for every pistol I EDC. They breathe, protect my side, and are adjustable. They keep the pistol handle from poking out and printing. They are very comfortable to work all day while wearing one.

Over the last 20+ years I have spent a lot of money learning what I know about conceal carry. The above-mentioned methods work best for me.
I IWB carry on my strong side at between 4 and 5. It's faster to draw but less ammo available without extra mag holders.

Ta-Da!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top