JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IF you're thinking of reloading the steel cases, finding BERDAN primers is the first problem. IF you have boxer primed brass it should be no problem.

BTW....RCBS sells the 7.62x39 die set with the dies, shell holder and two expanders, one for the .308 bullet size and one for the .311 bullet size. But of course, your actual bore size and condition will probably determine what's will work best for you. And, not to mention, your reloading technique, load data, and the quality of your components.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......I don't reload for the 7.62x39 mostly because of the cheap & available ammo. However, I did invest in the die set. Just in case things change in the future.

IF you're thinking of reloading the steel cases, finding BERDAN primers is the first problem. IF you have boxer primed brass it should be no problem.

BTW....RCBS sells the 7.62x39 die set with the dies, shell holder and two expanders, one for the .308 bullet size and one for the .311 bullet size. But of course, your actual bore will be the determining factor as for which size will probably work best for you. Not to mention, your reloading technique and/or bullet quality.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......I don't reload for the 7.62x39 mostly because of the cheap & available ammo. However, I did invest in the die set. Just in case things change in the future.

I was looking for the equipment i could use to pull factory fmj bullets out of factory berdan ammo, and replace them with a bullet for hunting.

Midway sells all items listed below~

Lee Collet 2-Die Neck Sizer Set 7.62x39mm
Lee Factory Crimp Die 7.62x39mm
Midway also sells the Lee EZ X Expander-Decapping Rod 7.62x39mm (.310 Diameter)
(just grind/cut the decapping portion off the rod if remanufacturing rounds you have pulled the bullet out of and do not want to deprime)
Hornady Bullets 7.62x39mm (.310 Diameter) 123 Grain Spire Point

The Russian factory rounds i have checked are .310 diameter.

M67

Yup...."Mexican Match."

I'm just lazy when it comes to my AKs. Except for cleaning after shooting the corrosive ammo. At any rate, I don't really expect all that much accuracy out of them (beacuse, it's an AKs with commie surplus military ammo). Besides, I have other firearms for accuracy.

LOL..........HUNTING? I shoot, but don't hunt. Not that there is anything wrong with hunting.

Aloha, Mark

Yup...."Mexican Match."

I'm just lazy when it comes to my AKs. Except for cleaning after shooting the corrosive ammo. At any rate, I don't really expect all that much accuracy out of them (beacuse, it's an AKs with commie surplus military ammo). Besides, I have other firearms for accuracy.

LOL..........HUNTING? I shoot, but don't hunt. Not that there is anything wrong with hunting.

Aloha, Mark

If you do some benchrest shooting with a quality AK or SKS, the accuracy you can get, just might surprise you!

M67

reload brass boxer primed cases, it will be a lot less trouble. Steel cases are not as maleable and the coating may cause difficulties. 308 bullets will not provide the best accuracy in a .310/.311 bore. Both brass and bullets are readily available.

If your going to reload for a semi auto, stay on the safe side and buy (S) dies.

I also check all of my reloads in a chamber die. Nothing ruins your day quite like
having a loaded round stuck partially in the chamber.

If you're worried about loosing brass while hunting, use an impact (hammer) type
puller, pull the bullets from some steel cases, reneck them and reload with your
favorite load.:s0155: Or...Just use Wolf HP

Jack...:cool:

I suppose you could use the .308 bullets in 7.62x39 but they're going to be loose in most AK or SKS barrels. The "spec size" for 7.62x39 is .312". The bullet won't "rattle" as it travels down the bore but there will be more gas leakage than desired. May not even fully engage the rifling in some barrels so expect bullets to tumble.

Might pay to "slug" the bore in your specific rifle and measure it. Maybe even just push a .308 round through the bore with a hardwood dowel and a mallet to see if there is enough "engraving" from the rifling to spin the bullet.

I suppose you could use the .308 bullets in 7.62x39 but they're going to be loose in most AK or SKS barrels. The "spec size" for 7.62x39 is .312". The bullet won't "rattle" as it travels down the bore but there will be more gas leakage than desired. May not even fully engage the rifling in some barrels so expect bullets to tumble.

Might pay to "slug" the bore in your specific rifle and measure it. Maybe even just push a .308 round through the bore with a hardwood dowel and a mallet to see if there is enough "engraving" from the rifling to spin the bullet.

I don't know why one would pay to have a barrel slugged. You could follow these directions for doing a Mosin barrel and find out the same thing.

Mosin Barrel Slug Tutorial

I found everything needed to do it locally for around 3 bucks. I had the grease (just used bearing grease I had in the shop) and the calipers already. Easy to do and gave me a clear idea of what shape my bore was in, which is excellent.

I plan on reloading 7.62x54r once I have the dies purchased. I am going with RCBS as they have the .311 expander ball already. Other dies I have found have a .308 expander ball and you can purchase the .311.

LOL..........."benchrest shooting with a quality AK or SKS." That just doesn't sound right (like an oxymoron). Ok, sorry about that, I just don't take some things serious enough.

Yes, I use the "bench." But, it's only because the range won't allow "position shooting" without being cleared by one of their Range Officers. Yes, there is a reason for that. It's because, they can't trust ALL shooters to keep all their shots on the paper (impacting the berm area).

Seriously........I don't exactly get my thrills shooting off of a bench. Not that there is anything wrong with it though. For those that DO......go for it, have fun.

Aloha, Mark

I don't know why one would pay to have a barrel slugged.
I wasn't really suggesting that one "Pay", it was more a suggestion that slugging the bore would "Pay" in in the form of knowing what one could get away with for bullet diameter. I don't know why anyone would pay for slugging as it's an extremely easy process.

As for a Mosin, aren't they capable of shooting small round rocks as long as they fit?:cool:

I reloaded some federal brass (from spent 123gr federal powershok, good hunting ammo btw)
34.8 gr. of reloader 7, bullets were speer 150 gr. SP (.311 dia./303 Brit.) RCBS dies. using the .311 expander.
It wasn't a compressed load. The federal brass mic'ed out just short of trim to length. Overall length 2.22".
I showed no pressure signs shooting from a cz 527. This load wasn't all that accurate from my rifle. My rifle shoots Tulammo 122 gr. hollow point cheapo ammo accurately. I am going to try Tulammo 154 gr SP to replace my attempt at hand load, heavy bullet, hunting ammo. Anyone ever shot the 154gr. Tul? Anyone ever see it for sale at a store?

If you are planning to shoot your reloaded ammunition through an SKS or AKM type of rifle then I suggest that you reload your shells using WOLF Magnum primers. The priming compound is no hotter in these magnum primers then their regular primers but the primers are harder and less susceptible to a slam fire.

as stated above - most AK/SKS/mosin/etc that use 7.62x39 or 7.62x54r are actually .311 instead of .308. you can use bullets (tips) for .303 brit/7.7mm jap as they are .311. that should give you a reasonable selection of hunting tips.

I wasn't really suggesting that one "Pay", it was more a suggestion that slugging the bore would "Pay" in in the form of knowing what one could get away with for bullet diameter. I don't know why anyone would pay for slugging as it's an extremely easy process.

As for a Mosin, aren't they capable of shooting small round rocks as long as they fit?:cool:

Okay, I read it like that now and it make sense. Sorry, I wasn't trying to call you out. :)

as stated above - most AK/SKS/mosin/etc that use 7.62x39 or 7.62x54r are actually .311 instead of .308. you can use bullets (tips) for .303 brit/7.7mm jap as they are .311. that should give you a reasonable selection of hunting tips.

Hornady, Sierra and Barnes all make .311 specific hunting bullets. There maybe more, but those are what I've found.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top