JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It amazes me that we have a membership base that is vehemently opposed to any type of registration, government involvement or even smartphones. Yet some here (not just you, I've seen this topic many times) are actually OK taking a DNA test and having their genetic material and identification put on a nationwide registry.

LOL. Irony so thick I need a chainsaw to cut through it.
It is amazing how they nab those that left DNA where it ought not to be, using DNA from a relative.
The long arm of the law just got longer.

It amazes me that we have a membership base that is vehemently opposed to any type of registration, government involvement or even smartphones. Yet some here (not just you, I've seen this topic many times) are actually OK taking a DNA test and having their genetic material and identification put on a nationwide registry.
You will never see me doing this. Ever...

Just going on family names and family lore...
Irish , English and German are in the mix , with varying degrees.
I really don't identify with anything other than American
Not really interested in sending off my DNA for a bunch of strangers to look at...
I try not to invite strangers to my home...why would I want them 'visit" my DNA...?

But with that said...

If one likes to research and try to see where the family tree was planted and where it branches off to...
I say enjoy and have at it.
There is some truth to the old saying of
You don't know where you are going , till you know where you've been.

However one thing to consider is...
It is very important to not let the past trap you into a present decision...
Just 'cause "its always been this way"...does not mean that it always has to be that way.
Andy

LOL. Irony so thick I need a chainsaw to cut through it.

I was thinking the exact same thing while reading these responses. People think that they just gotta know but don't think of the consequences, do they???:rolleyes:

I was thinking the exact same thing while reading these responses. People think that they just gotta know but don't think of the consequences, do they???:rolleyes:

"Just gotta know".......like it really makes a damn bit of difference in their life........:rolleyes:

"I just found out I'm 1/20th Buttknocker and I have a bit of Fartlicker in me from my moms side"........and then go back to living life. As an American. On a national registry. :rolleyes:

Don't make sense to me.

My dad did a family history search back when it was ALL paper oriented. We still have it tucked away and one day we will all get together and open to find out the truth without having to do a DNA test and hope that it's correct.

My dad did a family history search back when it was ALL paper oriented. We still have it tucked away and one day we will all get together and open to find out the truth without having to do a DNA test and hope that it's correct.

And you'll still be @Caveman Jim, the fish whisperer. Nothing in those papers will change that. ;)

Many users on here have made a valid point: an American is an American. No hyphen needed.

With that being said I believe it is important to know where we come from as our history gives context to our lives. The United States was founded on specific ideals, many immigrants made dangerous journeys to reach a place they'd never even seen because they heard of the possibilities offered in the New World.

Knowing where my ancestors came from helps me appreciate why they left their world behind and paid the price for the freedoms I enjoy today.

So I am a proud American...and I'm proud to know the history of those that made it possible.

Well, I hadn't imagined that this post would have raised so much rancour. I had just thought that it might be bit of fun in these days of stress and strain.

I apologise unreservedly to those of you who don't give a hoot about your past, or have even the slightest wonder about where your ancestors came from. I therefore strongly advise you, in the hope of causing less discommode, to ignore any of my future posts in which the subject matter may cause you some offence.
I really enjoyed your post. I wish very much that I could speak Welsh. It would make my research much easier. My earliest American ancestor is this guy:

Name: Benjamin Thomas PRICE
Born: 1570 at: Breconshire, Wales
Died: 21 Feb 1619 at: Elizabeth Borough, Essex County, Province of New Jersey
Spouse: Mary FARRINGTON

The family married, expanded, and moved west over the next 200 years to end up in Monroe County, Ohio in 1830. At least one male was killed by Indians along the way in 1784, and another female was kidnapped and held hostage for a decade in SW Pennsylvania, eventually returning to her people at around 30 years old as a master herbal healer. Granny Bowen lived to be 80+ years old and had many grandchildren and great grandchildren. The family is still in the area of the original homestead in Ohio from 1830 to today.

There's a lot to be learned, and my admiration for my ancestors only increases as I learn more. They include veterans of the French & Indian war, Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Civil War, and many other minor expeditions. They made a living out of nothing while fighting for their lives, and building a nation.

Many users on here have made a valid point: an American is an American. No hyphen needed.

With that being said I believe it is important to know where we come from as our history gives context to our lives. The United States was founded on specific ideals, many immigrants made dangerous journeys to reach a place they'd never even seen because they heard of the possibilities offered in the New World.

Knowing where my ancestors came from helps me appreciate why they left their world behind and paid the price for the freedoms I enjoy today.

So I am a proud American...and I'm proud to know the history of those that made it possible.

Good post. :)

Heavily vested in all three with German and French. A paintbrush across Northern Europe. The man I use in my profile pic is my great great grandfather John Dick who came from Scotland to settle in Nanaimo B.C. upon the Princess Royal. Later to become one of it's early prominent citizens. Great video! Thanks : )

Last Edited:
Williams as a family name in Ireland - is found mostly in the North of Ireland, of immigrant origin, having been introduced from Wales, England and Scotland during the seventeenth century.

Thanks tac, but that's just my screen name here on NWF. It's from the main protagonist's name in the Evil Dead series of horror B movies from the 80s and 90s.

This is a baited post. OP is just looking for someone with a cool ancestry so they can self-identify with the same, and adopt their privilege.

Well played, OP. Well played. #dolezaleffect
You have no idea about the OP - your post makes you come off like someone spouting #BLM and excoriating us for white privilege. I say that because I've had the exact same rubbish pulled on me.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top