JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ah ha. Don't get me started on genealogy. Old guy here who has been into genealogy for well over 25 years. I started way back to see if I could discover who my biological parents really were. I was adopted at birth and was never told of my biological parents. Through early YDNA search sights I discovered the surname of my biological father. Pretty exciting find for a guy in his 50s let me tell you what. I had searched for and found my birth mother the old fashioned way previously and even met her once in person. My reunion with her was NOT like they show in the movies. Neither was the attempted contact with my birth father's grown children. Lets leave it at the fact that my birth father came from lotsa money and my birth mother did not. Star crossed lovers they were but a relationship between them was not to be. Amazing what someone on a mission can find out about things 50+ years ago. My birth father had died way before I had a chance to meet him. Stood beside his grave though. My birth father's lineage was/is from the Highland Scots. Only in the last year have I discovered that Robert the Bruce is my 20th great great grandfather. Seems I have many genetic links into the Scottish royalty line. My history has shown that in 1513 8 male members of my lineage died at the Scottish Battle of Flodden protecting their blood kinsman King Richard IV who also died during that battle. Hence the memorial cross of Flodden is my avatar. My YDNA goes back to about 5000 BCE to the Picts of Scotland- these were the original native Scots. My mothers line descends from the historical Cherokees of the southeast. That makes me Scots/Cherokee. I'll stop now as I see several of you are now yawning. :s0114: LOL! I am accustomed to that as genealogy can become mind numbing if one is not "in" with it. :)

Surnames of Adair, Spencer, McCoy, Lowery, Ivy in the lineage. All from the isles. An Adair was one of the first Europeans to marry into the Cherokee nation. Recorded life in the tribes. Writings can be found in the library. Grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee, her grandparents walked the trail of tears. She married a Spencer, so full circle back to the isles.

Please! Do tell!
The chair story is actually pretty weird. My wife has family from Ireland and family who were fairly high class southerners. I am of hillbilly stock. My generation is really the first in hundreds of years to largely leave behind grinding Appalachian poverty in Western North Carolina and East Tenesee. Now as a side note, my mom's side tend to be exceedingly short. Most of the men on that side are around the 5' mark

Well I had seen a chair in her Grandparents place. It looked vaguely familiar and a little undersized, but then again, my wife's grandmother is short. Well, it turns out, my Wife's great grandfather heard that when her grandmother was pregnant for the first time, that her father, my wife's great grandfather went to see her, and had heard of a place that made small but comfortable rocking chairs. at which point I said, in Macon Ga? A little roadside stand? At which point my wife's grandmother gave me a really weird look.

It was my great grandfather and great great grandfather's little shop. For some crazy reason, the second slat from the left was bowed up a touch, just like my grandmother's old rocker. My great-grandfather and my great-great-grandfather made it, and it was purchased by my wife's great grandfather. And it rocked her father, her and our daughters.

Her grandmother wanted all of her grandchildren to use it with their kids, but my wife's two brothers and 1 cousin decided it should be ours. I am glad I didn't have to run it past my brothers and 9 first cousins on that side. The 14 of us don't agree on much easily.

AAA11146-E693-4D89-9614-454F810E5652.jpeg D4F3ED48-CCE1-4380-8E79-4F0A89F3CEFF.jpeg

Last Edited:
That is just crazy! Thanks for telling the story, Wombat!

And now, I think I hear Twilight Zone music playing...:eek:

It's either that, or It's a Small World After All... :s0140:

Last Edited:
Tsalagis hiwoniski? Do you speak Cherokee?

I do not. My Grams taught me a little way back when but she died when I was about 12. The only word I can remember is canuchi. I think that is how you would spell it. Means "candy" if I recall. Do you speak the language? Would love to learn some basics.

All I have to say is stay away from DNA tests. You sometimes find out things you would rather not know but kinda half suspected. A few years ago I went from knowing my dad had 3 sons to knowing he had 2. AND to finding out my grandfather had a son with his best friends wife.

I do not. My Grams taught me a little way back when but she died when I was about 12. The only word I can remember is canuchi. I think that is how you would spell it. Means "candy" if I recall. Do you speak the language? Would love to learn some basics.
ganuchi is a dried and slightly fermented hominy. Very old "treat" among the anitsalagi. kalsage is the more modern word for what we would know as sugar candy.
vv tsaligi kyothi giwoniski. [yes, I speak a little Cherokee] Here's an easy word for you if you don't already ;) O'siyo [oh-see-yo'] Its Hello!

Thank you pretty cool stuff- and yes I am a mix of all three, been trying to learn a wee bit of garlic but it's not an easy language to teach yourself

My Dad mapped out his side of the family for me from memory some time ago. He was the 11th kid (6th boy) of 14 kids (3 of whom did not live to adulthood).
From his side, I get a Polish grandfather who married a Ukrainian "mail order bride" for my grandmother.

Before that, on my grandfather's side, it all runs up through Poland for two more generations before the tree runs into "insufficient memory" somewhere around 1820.
Somewhere, way back in antiquity, the family was the King of Poland's "Keepers of the Sable", from whence the family name derives. They raised the ermine that would become the fur trimmings of the Kings royal robes. Although not nobility themselves, they rubbed elbows in the King's Court... :D

On my grandmother's side, it runs up through The Ukraine, Poland, and three generations back there's someone's wife from Germany who was born around 1830.
When I met my grandmother for the first time (I was about 15), she could only speak a few words of English. As a kid, my Dad taught me a bunch of Polish because he still knew a lot, since that was how he communicated with his mum. But I've forgotten all of the vocabulary my Dad imparted to me. I think even he can't speak much Polish now. :(
So that makes my Dad and his siblings 5/8 Polak, 1/4 Ukrainian, and 1/8 Kraut.

My Mom's side is less well-documented. My grandfather was a old codger of a Kraut, and my grandmother was a saintly, patient, English woman.

I identify as an American. To identify as a Polak would be, well, dumb... :s0140:

ETA: I just realized that this thread is not about our ancestries in general, but about members' Welsh/Irish/Scottish ancestries, specifically.
Oopsie and apologies... :oops:
Don't knock the Poles, They saved Vienna from the Ottoman Turks, and the Polish Free Squadron of England's Royal Air Force racked up more kills in the Battle Of Britain than any other RAF unit.
I'm not a Pole, just a DamnFinn :)

Dad's side, no DNA test, but family says "Irish" most likely Scots-Irish as Presbyterian, not Catholic.

On Mothers side, one of the 4 branches comes from Plzn Czechia. Bohemia. Czechoslovakia.
2nd branch from Alsace Lorraine - which is French or German or German French. Border moved more than once there.
The others were from Prussia/Germany areas.

DNA results since original post
6.4% ~ 1/16
If my math is right ....
Parents = 2
Grand Parents = 4
Great Grand = 8
Great Great Grand = 16

We also have my mothers results - Irish <2% so this would imply that on my fathers side,
One of my Paternal Great Grand Parents were of mixed UK blood.

1614369738895.png

Been working on my male Scots lineage for way too many years now. Have it traced and confirmed by DNA that my Abernathy line goes all the way back to the Picts living just north of Dunnotar Castle [Aberdeen area] along the north eastern Scottish coast. My original Abernethy grgreat grandfather signed a Royal Scottish document supporting the King in about 1150AD. Lineage contains links to Robert the Bruce and Kings James 1 through 4. Scottish King James 4th was killed at the Battle of Flodden in September of 1513. The last European monarch to die in battle. My small avatar is the memorial cross commemorating that battle. In addition to King James the 4th, 7 others of my line also died in the battle on that day defending the King. Come to think of it I'm dern glad I was born at all with all those males giving their lives in defense of Scotland on that September day. It is written that this battle decimated the ranks of Scottish nobles. True and a good story.
So my DNA is Scots from my biological father/Cherokee [from my biological mother].

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top