JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am an All American mutt. Woof, woof!

English, Irish, Scottish = my late Mom's Father's side. Their family came over a few ships past the Mayflower.

Finnish, Scandinavian, Nordic = my late Mom's Mother's side. Her Mom was a legal immigrant.

British and Greek = my Dad. Cyprus was a British colony and my Dad was a legal immigrant with his British passport via Ellis Island.

I do not call myself a hyphenated American - I just call myself an American.

Old Lady Cate

Social pressure. My paternal grandfather was 1st or 2nd generation German descent, grew up speaking the language. They stopped speaking it during The Great War when he was a young teen. He was in his 70's when I came of consciousness, and by then he barely remembered any.
Language itself evolves and changes. Reading Canterbury Tales or Le Morte D'arthur or even really old poetry, you see how the English has evolved.

Ah, Chaucer and Mallorie came before the Great Vowel Shift.........................

Have you seen Bill Bailey's version of a 'ay nichte aut wythe ye laddes'?

Ah, Chaucer and Mallorie came before the Great Vowel Shift.........................

Have you seen Bill Bailey's version of a 'ay nichte aut wythe ye laddes'?
Nay. It's been 30+ years since delving into that - even gave away my OED.
Is that "A night out with the lads" or "I'm not with you lads"?

Edit to add: I remember back in the '80's seeing a BBC (I think) clip of Martin Carthy singing "Bonney Black Hare". His brogue was so thick, couldn't understand a single word.

My Dad mapped out his side of the family for me from memory some time ago. He was the 11th kid (6th boy) of 14 kids (3 of whom did not live to adulthood).
From his side, I get a Polish grandfather who married a Ukrainian "mail order bride" for my grandmother.

Before that, on my grandfather's side, it all runs up through Poland for two more generations before the tree runs into "insufficient memory" somewhere around 1820.
Somewhere, way back in antiquity, the family was the King of Poland's "Keepers of the Sable", from whence the family name derives. They raised the ermine that would become the fur trimmings of the Kings royal robes. Although not nobility themselves, they rubbed elbows in the King's Court... :D

On my grandmother's side, it runs up through The Ukraine, Poland, and three generations back there's someone's wife from Germany who was born around 1830.
When I met my grandmother for the first time (I was about 15), she could only speak a few words of English. As a kid, my Dad taught me a bunch of Polish because he still knew a lot, since that was how he communicated with his mum. But I've forgotten all of the vocabulary my Dad imparted to me. I think even he can't speak much Polish now. :(
So that makes my Dad and his siblings 5/8 Polak, 1/4 Ukrainian, and 1/8 Kraut.

My Mom's side is less well-documented. My grandfather was a old codger of a Kraut, and my grandmother was a saintly, patient, English woman.

I identify as an American. To identify as a Polak would be, well, dumb... :s0140:

ETA: I just realized that this thread is not about our ancestries in general, but about members' Welsh/Irish/Scottish ancestries, specifically.
Oopsie and apologies... :oops:

Last Edited:
Well, I hadn't imagined that this post would have raised so much rancour. I had just thought that it might be bit of fun in these days of stress and strain.

I apologise unreservedly to those of you who don't give a hoot about your past, or have even the slightest wonder about where your ancestors came from. I therefore strongly advise you, in the hope of causing less discommode, to ignore any of my future posts in which the subject matter may cause you some offence.

I wonder if you have researched which of your ancestors had the thickest skin.........;)

I am an American. My blood is mixed with many lines from many corners of this planet.

But I am an AMERICAN. Nothing else matters.

:s0160:

Man I got Warren'd.

I was told for years I had Native American in my family.
Maybe just because they have darker skin and drink too much....

But nope, did an ancestry DNA deal and came back
67% England, wales, NW europe
18% Ireland /Scotland
12% Germanic Europe
4% Norway

I tan really easily, a little darker complexion, in my youth almost looked hispanic.
I haven't done the test yet but will probably find the same. Family has a "Cherokee" two or three generations back from Great Grandma. There's even a picture of her.

But, as far as I can tell, everyone whose family has been in the Southwest for a few generations, at least, seems to have Cherokee in their lineage (by word of mouth). So, either the Cherokee had the biggest kink for the white man or we've all been lied to. Guess I'll have to take the test to see.

Well, I hadn't imagined that this post would have raised so much rancour. I had just thought that it might be bit of fun in these days of stress and strain.

I apologise unreservedly to those of you who don't give a hoot about your past, or have even the slightest wonder about where your ancestors came from. I therefore strongly advise you, in the hope of causing less discommode, to ignore any of my future posts in which the subject matter may cause you some offence.
What I've noticed in my travels is that many Americans in the western US don't know or care which tree they fell out of.
On the other hand, Americans in the eastern US often know quite a bit about their ancestry.
Being closer to the landing spots of New York, Boston, etc. keeps the ethnic thing alive, I suppose.

At the bar, just before the fight breaks out...
"What awe ya ?"
"Yer a Polak, onch ya ?"
"Hodja know ?"
"The moon face gives it away."

:D

I haven't done the test yet but will probably find the same. Family has a "Cherokee" two or three generations back from Great Grandma. There's even a picture of her.

But, as far as I can tell, everyone whose family has been in the Southwest for a few generations, at least, seems to have Cherokee in their lineage (by word of mouth). So, either the Cherokee had the biggest kink for the white man or we've all been lied to. Guess I'll have to take the test to see.

Meh. We all bleed the same color.

Meh. We all bleed the same color.
True. It's more of a passing interest for me. I'm actually more keen on any medical predispositions that I might have. I'm also leery that that type of info may not be private, either ending up in government hands or my insurance company. I'm not ecstatic about either of those thoughts. So, for now, it's just a mild interest that I still won't do.

True. It's more of a passing interest for me. I'm actually more keen on any medical predispositions that I might have. I'm also leery that that type of info may not be private, either ending up in government hands or my insurance company. I'm not ecstatic about either of those thoughts. So, for now, it's just a mild interest that I still won't do.

It amazes me that we have a membership base that is vehemently opposed to any type of registration, government involvement or even smartphones. Yet some here (not just you, I've seen this topic many times) are actually OK taking a DNA test and having their genetic material and identification put on a nationwide registry.

LOL. Irony so thick I need a chainsaw to cut through it.

Let's see here, 14 kids * 9months = ~10.5 years.

God.Damn. She deserves a medal or something.
Grandma and Grandpa had a farm in far north Minnesota... Needed to staff it up with some hands. ;)

Truth be told, they were married in January of 1914, and Karl (who would die at age 8) was born sometime in 1915 (Dad didn't know the exact date).
Rose, the last of the brood, was born in March of 1937. So better'n 20 years of birthin' babies for Gramma Sobo...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top